Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 07:15 PM

10 posts, read 10,801 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm currently [again] considering to moving to Chicago. My job will be at the loop so I am looking at places near the area.

Last year I was looking at suburbs but now I am also considering buying a condo at a high-rise building.

Right now, I am looking at places like Vetro (611 S Wells St Apt 905, Chicago, IL 60607).

Or the one near W Van Buren (235 W Van Buren St Unit 4513, Chicago, IL 60607).

I've been trying to read up on areas that are safe for a new family but it looks like the areas I have picked are in a less desirable area? Most of the analogy is the north side of Chicago is generally safer than the south side (not sure if this is the south side).

I have two cars so a covered and secure parking is a must for me though I think I'll be taking public transportation, biking, or walking most of the time since my job will be at the loop.

Here's a couple I'm looking at:

Requirements:

2 Bed, 2 Bath, 2 car garage.

- https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M76360-10508 - 611 S Wells St Apt 905, Chicago, IL 60607
- https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6-73949#photo7 - 235 W Van Buren St Unit 4513, Chicago, IL 60607
- https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M89741-99200 - 2650 N Lakeview Ave Apt 1202, Chicago, IL 60614
- https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M88767-95349 - 2909 N Sheridan Rd Apt 1602, Chicago, IL 60657

I'm even considering this - https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-95351#photo16 - 1548 N Hoyne Ave Apt 3, Chicago, IL 60622 - looks very sit-com'ish.

I'm mostly basing this off the first impressions factor as I have no idea what's going on in these neighbourhoods.

Last edited by P4rD0nM3; 10-01-2017 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Added more areas I'm looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 07:21 PM

504 posts, read 496,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3 View Post
Hey guys, I'm currently [again] considering to moving to Chicago. My job will be at the loop so I am looking at places near the area.

Last year I was looking at suburbs but now I am also considering buying a condo at a high-rise building.

Right now, I am looking at places like Vetro (611 S Wells St Apt 905, Chicago, IL 60607).

Or the one near W Van Buren (235 W Van Buren St Unit 4513, Chicago, IL 60607).

I've been trying to read up on areas that are safe for a new family but it looks like the areas I have picked are in a less desirable area? Most of the analogy is the north side of Chicago is generally safer than the south side (not sure if this is the south side).

I have two cars so a covered and secure parking is a must for me though I think I'll be taking public transportation, biking, or walking most of the time since my job will be at the loop.
Those two places are perfectly safe - not considered the south side. I would say that those are very desirable areas, ridiculously convenient for work & have good food options nearby.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:38 PM

Hey @OKParker, thanks for the reply. Do you have other recommendations?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:20 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
611 S Wells and 235 W Van Buren are in a safe area, but I wouldn't expect those to be the most family oriented areas. It also seems like a tough area to have two cars. 235 W Van Buren is basically the edge of the Loop. I'm not sure of a convenient place to buy groceries maybe down on Roosevelt or on Halsted. Not sure what your price range is but I'd recommend looking elsewhere if you can.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:41 PM

fusillirob1983, what will be your recommendations? The listings I've listed are within my price range.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
fusillirob1983, what will be your recommendations? The listings I've listed are within my price range.
What are some of your other criteria at this point? I just saw you updated your thread in the suburb forum after I responded to this thread and being right in the Loop isn't what I'd expect based on what's stated in the other thread.

Last edited by fusillirob1983; 10-01-2017 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Didn't finish sentence

Old 10-02-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
What are some of your other criteria at this point? I just saw you updated your thread in the suburb forum after I responded to this thread and being right in the Loop isn't what I'd expect based on what's stated in the other thread.
I’m considering a shorter commute now as opposed to the hour+ long commutes if I’m going to be living in the suburbs.

Right now my main criteria is that if im going to be buying a condominium in a high-rise, it should be pretty close to my job which is at the loop.

2 bed, 2 ba, 2 car, will be my minimum.

I also do a lot of traveling and I love my cars so a covered and secure garage is something I’m looking for.

I’ll probably have more later as I’m actually driving to Chicago today again to check out the neighborhoods.

I’m also not sure what 300K-600K in suburbs translates to in these areas. For example the Vetro cost around 400K. And it seems like an OK (affluent?) area?

Last edited by P4rD0nM3; 10-02-2017 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: Added house/condo criteria.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
I’m considering a shorter commute now as opposed to the hour+ long commutes if I’m going to be living in the suburbs.

Right now my main criteria is that if im going to be buying a condominium in a high-rise, it should be pretty close to my job which is at the loop.

2 bed, 2 ba, 2 car, will be my minimum.

I also do a lot of traveling and I love my cars so a covered and secure garage is something I’m looking for.

I’ll probably have more later as I’m actually driving to Chicago today again to check out the neighborhoods.

I’m also not sure what 300K-600K in suburbs translates to in these areas. For example the Vetro cost around 400K. And it seems like an OK (affluent?) area?
It really depends how short of a commute. Previously it looked like you were looking st a 30 minute drive or less. That opens you up to quite a bit of options in the city. I would say the Loop in general is "affluent". Where you're talking about specifically is right between the Loop and the Chicago River, and not exactly an area with a great view or lots of foot traffic. You'll see what I'm talking about if you drive through. The highway emerges right around there, so affluent isn't really the issue. It would just be on a block by block basis kind of an unusual place to live, in my mind at least. A couple blocks north or east and it's a totally different feel.

Regarding the south side, you'd probably want to look north of Cermak if you're east of the highway. It's relatively safe down in Bridgeport where the White Sox play, but if you're not from the area it may be less desirable to be in Bridgeport. If you want to be that close to downtown somewhere in the South Loop closer to Roosevelt Road has a little bit more around it. Depending how long of a commute you want, there's probably some north side neighborhoods that fit your budget.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
It really depends how short of a commute. Previously it looked like you were looking st a 30 minute drive or less. That opens you up to quite a bit of options in the city. I would say the Loop in general is "affluent". Where you're talking about specifically is right between the Loop and the Chicago River, and not exactly an area with a great view or lots of foot traffic. You'll see what I'm talking about if you drive through. The highway emerges right around there, so affluent isn't really the issue. It would just be on a block by block basis kind of an unusual place to live, in my mind at least. A couple blocks north or east and it's a totally different feel.

Regarding the south side, you'd probably want to look north of Cermak if you're east of the highway. It's relatively safe down in Bridgeport where the White Sox play, but if you're not from the area it may be less desirable to be in Bridgeport. If you want to be that close to downtown somewhere in the South Loop closer to Roosevelt Road has a little bit more around it. Depending how long of a commute you want, there's probably some north side neighborhoods that fit your budget.
I don't have any particular preference i.e. south, west, or north as long as it's near my place of work. If it's 30+ minutes then I would probably drive my car as opposed to using public transportation. Haven't really used public transportation in a long while now.

I've been living in the suburbs for most of my adult life (late 30's) as opposed to when I was in college (major city) so I've gotten pretty used to driving a car if I want to get/do something.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I don't have any particular preference i.e. south, west, or north as long as it's near my place of work. If it's 30+ minutes then I would probably drive my car as opposed to using public transportation. Haven't really used public transportation in a long while now.

I've been living in the suburbs for most of my adult life (late 30's) as opposed to when I was in college (major city) so I've gotten pretty used to driving a car if I want to get/do something.
One other place you mentioned earlier at 1508 N Hotne - that sounds like Wicker Park. I would imagine there's other 2bed, 2 bath condos in that area in your price range, same with Roscoe Village and North Center, maybe even parts of Lakeview. Those would all get you to the Loop in 30 minutes or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago