Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:46 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,252,251 times

Advertisements

Hello, anyone have any restaurants or delis that you have high marks for in "Italian" areas in the city? I'm Milwaukeean, but I think I have a good sense of the city. Personally, I tend to dine at Ignotz in the 24th and Oakley area as well as Rosebud in the Taylor Street area. On another note, I find it interesting that the Northwest Avenue section of Edison Park is not considered an "Italian" area since in a small area there are about 5 Italian restaurants, an Italian Ice shop and an Italian Deli!... Anyone able to vouch for E. 26th in Bridge Port, Grand Avenue and Ogden area, or N. Harlem? I'm familiar with the areas yet never stopped by any of the establishments at this point. I'll take any feedback or recommendations. Thanks, Master Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 01:08 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
None of these are Italian areas really, but they are great for Italian foods.

Bari on Grand is a great Italian deli. And D'Amatos next door is a great bakery. My favorite Italian restaurant in the entire US (that I have been to of course) is Riccardo Trattoria.

Riccardo Trattoria - Cozy, casual italian restaurant with traditional dishes, many daily specials & a varied wine list.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Out of the Italian restaurants I tried during my years in Chicago -- and admittedly there were a great many I never got around to trying -- I found myself rather partial to Francesca's on Taylor. I ordered the Penne alla Siciliana there, and to my delight, the tomato sauce came the closest to what my Sicilian grandmother used to make from scratch compared with any other restaurant sauce I've ever tried.

One I didn't particularly care for was Bruna's on Oakley Avenue. I ordered a Rigatoni Bolognese that was very average and, IMO, quite overpriced for what it was. And the dining-room decor was very dated and tacky.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:20 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
There really are no Italian neighborhood left in Chicago...there are small clusters of places like Oakley that you mention with a few restaurants and also Taylor Street. Harlem Avenue going north around Elmwood Park has a few Italian delis and restaurants as well. Many people like Sabatino's which is not in an Italian neighborhood but is old school and I believe still around.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:17 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Melrose Park has Italians scattered in.

Abruzzo's hidden in Melrose park is supposed to be good.

Scudiero's Bakery in Melrose park always has Italian people coming in and out when I pass by.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:25 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Out of the Italian restaurants I tried during my years in Chicago -- and admittedly there were a great many I never got around to trying -- I found myself rather partial to Francesca's on Taylor. I ordered the Penne alla Siciliana there, and to my delight, the tomato sauce came the closest to what my Sicilian grandmother used to make from scratch compared with any other restaurant sauce I've ever tried.

One I didn't particularly care for was Bruna's on Oakley Avenue. I ordered a Rigatoni Bolognese that was very average and, IMO, quite overpriced for what it was. And the dining-room decor was very dated and tacky.
Agreed! I love Francesca's on Taylor. They just have great home style food. I've been to Francesca's in Arlington Heights and it has the same great food and ambience as on Taylor. Rosebud on Taylor is good, but I like Francesca's better.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
There really are no Italian neighborhood left in Chicago...there are small clusters of places like Oakley that you mention with a few restaurants and also Taylor Street. Harlem Avenue going north around Elmwood Park has a few Italian delis and restaurants as well. Many people like Sabatino's which is not in an Italian neighborhood but is old school and I believe still around.
It's interesting because Chicago's metro has the third largest Italian population by raw numbers (it's much lower on the list when looking at percentage), but you are right, there are really only pockets and not large neighborhoods.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:38 PM

179 posts, read 272,139 times
I also agree that a stretch of Harlem Avenue around Grand, I think, has some Italian places with both Italian-Americans and Italians.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:17 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
I really haven't found great Italian food in Chicago, but that's mostly because Italians moved to NYC and the East Coast over Chicago.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:13 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It's interesting because Chicago's metro has the third largest Italian population by raw numbers (it's much lower on the list when looking at percentage), but you are right, there are really only pockets and not large neighborhoods.
Do the census numbers reflect only individuals who are first generation or immigrants, or do they reflect only self-identified Italian-Americans? Implying that someone included in those numbers could possibly be half German and half Italian(?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago