Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:58 PM

368 posts, read 453,740 times

Advertisements

Chicago is about 30% Hispanic, about 80% of those Hispanics are Mexican, with most of the remaining being Puerto Rican. I've heard most Hispanics live on either the Southwest side or the Northwest side, with the mostly black Westside between the 2. Southwest side, I heard is almost completely dominated by Mexicans, while the Northwest is a mix of Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, and smaller numbers of other Hispanic groups.

I mean you wont find nothing like the South Bronx, North Philadelphia, or East Orlando in the Chicago area. But Chicago has one of the largest PR population outside the eastcoast, Im sure they have some neighborhoods where Puerto Ricans make up ATLEAST 20-30%. Even Cleveland has sections that are more Puerto Rican percentage wise than anything in Chicago. Ive heard many Puerto Ricans are leaving the Chicago area for other areas in the Midwest or the Eastcoast (northeast/southeast).

It seems that in the Northwest, areas that border the mostly black Westside (north of Grand Avenue) is where Ricans are more prevalent, and going further north/northwest the Hispanics populations start to become more Mexican & Central American. Humboldt Park is the only neighborhood I know of that Puerto Ricans have large numbers, and even that neighborhood has just as many Mexicans, Blacks, & Whites, so its not really a PR neighborhood just a mixed neighborhood with the most Ricans in Chicago. And even the eastern portions of Humboldt Park is seeing gentrification, with more and more whites.

So what other neighborhoods have sizable numbers of Puerto Ricans? And what suburbs have sizable numbers of Puerto Ricans?(Ive heard western and northern IL suburbs, as well as Northwest Indiana, true?)

Last edited by Spreadofknowledge; 10-12-2017 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:44 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,058 times
Riis park area and melrose park(suburbs)

Old 10-12-2017, 07:01 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
Belmont Cragin neighborhood has more Puerto Ricans than Humboldt Park. There is also Hermosa and Logan Square(although perhaps declining via gentrification).

Old 10-12-2017, 07:07 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,203 times
Under quarantine, until they release their secret beans and rice recipe to us.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
East Chicago has a pretty sizable Puerto Rican community. They have two pretty good Puerto Rican restaurants, Tania's and Solito's, on Indianapolis Blvd. I don't know about specific neighborhoods though.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:33 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,250,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Chicago is about 30% Hispanic, about 80% of those Hispanics are Mexican, with most of the remaining being Puerto Rican. I've heard most Hispanics live on either the Southwest side or the Northwest side, with the mostly black Westside between the 2. Southwest side, I heard is almost completely dominated by Mexicans, while the Northwest is a mix of Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, and smaller numbers of other Hispanic groups.

I mean you wont find nothing like the South Bronx, North Philadelphia, or East Orlando in the Chicago area. But Chicago has one of the largest PR population outside the eastcoast, Im sure they have some neighborhoods where Puerto Ricans make up ATLEAST 20-30%. Even Cleveland has sections that are more Puerto Rican percentage wise than anything in Chicago. Ive heard many Puerto Ricans are leaving the Chicago area for other areas in the Midwest or the Eastcoast (northeast/southeast).

It seems that in the Northwest, areas that border the mostly black Westside (north of Grand Avenue) is where Ricans are more prevalent, and going further north/northwest the Hispanics populations start to become more Mexican & Central American. Humboldt Park is the only neighborhood I know of that Puerto Ricans have large numbers, and even that neighborhood has just as many Mexicans, Blacks, & Whites, so its not really a PR neighborhood just a mixed neighborhood with the most Ricans in Chicago. And even the eastern portions of Humboldt Park is seeing gentrification, with more and more whites.

So what other neighborhoods have sizable numbers of Puerto Ricans? And what suburbs have sizable numbers of Puerto Ricans?(Ive heard western and northern IL suburbs, as well as Northwest Indiana, true?)
My boriqua friends and colleagues frankly live all over the place- mostly north suburbs and some near O'Hare.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 AM

504 posts, read 495,913 times
Go down division street in Humboldt park and you'll see where PRs used to be. I honestly haven't been to that area much in the last 5 years, but I doubt it's gentrified that quickly considering the lack of train transit

Old 10-13-2017, 08:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default It's not just "gentrification pushing folks out"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
Go down division street in Humboldt park and you'll see where PRs used to be. I honestly haven't been to that area much in the last 5 years, but I doubt it's gentrified that quickly considering the lack of train transit
...the relative advantages that even folks "born on the island" have in terms of mobility / employment as US citizens means that they can "go to where the jobs are".

The region has seen shifts in the areas with logistics / warehouses -- railyards near Berwyn, the towns adjacent to O'Hare, to the areas further west around Romeoville / Bolingbrook, to the spots along the 294 from Gurnee to Alsip have all seen shifts in where the kinds of materials handling type employment has clustered. I've worked with a few folks in IT who have relatives working for the Postal Service -- those kinds of jobs don't go to other than citizens.

Many folks with PR heritage are very loyal to family on the island and the ease of depositing money in Illinois and then withdrawing US cash from a branch under the same brand in Puerto Rico is a huge advantage compared to folks in other Latin American nations...

Old 10-17-2017, 05:30 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,915 times
They became rich, moved back to Puerto Rico, then suffered a Hurricane and became homeless!

-- Sorry for that! But it could be a fact, though.... I had a neighbor who actually was like that!

Old 10-18-2017, 01:10 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,717 times
I've been seeing a lot in Little Village, probably because rent is half here what it is in Humboldt park and Logan Square
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago