U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:08 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,985,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Well technically a majority AA neighborhood is in fact not diverse.
51-60% of one race in a neighborhood can still be diverse, especially if the dominant race is also ethnically diverse. Many of the neighborhoods that are considered diverse on the Northside, and suburbs such as Oak Park and Evanston that are praised for their diversity and integration(more so with Oak Park, I heard), fall within that range, except replace blacks with a white majority. Rogers Park and West Ridge(aka West Rogers Park) are about one ones that far up North that does not have a single racial group or ethnic group making up the majority. Even Uptown has become majority white-non hispanic, even if only slightly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:44 PM

4,802 posts, read 4,659,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
51-60% of one race in a neighborhood can still be diverse, especially if the dominant race is also ethnically diverse. Many of the neighborhoods that are considered diverse on the Northside, and suburbs such as Oak Park and Evanston that are praised for their diversity and integration(more so with Oak Park, I heard), fall within that range, except replace blacks with a white majority. Rogers Park and West Ridge(aka West Rogers Park) are about one ones that far up North that does not have a single racial group or ethnic group making up the majority. Even Uptown has become majority white-non hispanic, even if only slightly.
Ok and? My point was people can't be called hypocrites for not wanting to live somewhere that isn't diverse if diversity is what they value. So South Shore isn't diverse.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:53 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,005,935 times
Quote:
How can a single race be at ethnically diverse? I don't understand that.

Anyway, one thing to keep in mind when you're talking about this is that many neighborhoods which are currently diverse are simply in transition from one ethnic group to another. And I have noticed that whites in Chicagoland will generally only move to neighborhoods they believe are transitioning towards white, or Oak Park and Evanston, which have been consistently diverse and which are quite frankly so expensive there is little to no chance for racial turnover.

They will avoid and move away from a neighborhood that they believe is transitioning to non-white. They will cite the schools, house size, or something but they won't live there.

This phenomenon is why higher priced properties in need of serious work in Pilsen and east Little Village will sell in a couple days with multiple offers while properties just a couple miles away in East Garfield Park, which might have better technical attributes, will just sit on the market for eons. Nobody likes to talk about this in our liberal city but it is a sad and rather disappointing fact about Chicago.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Ok and? My point was people can't be called hypocrites for not wanting to live somewhere that isn't diverse if diversity is what they value. So South Shore isn't diverse.
I wish more people wanted true diversity. Whites in this area on the whole do love diversity - so long as they think a lot more of them are going to come!

Old 11-01-2017, 08:50 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,985,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I mean if a neighborhood contains multiple ethnic groups or nationalities (in case of hispanics) that fall under one race category.

South Shore's black population is predominately African-American(as in blacks whose ancestry trace back in this country at least a couple hundred years), but the area does appear to have attracted some African and Caribbeans, according to statistics and what I know of a few African and Carribean restaurant and take-out spots on E. 79th St and nearby. If not gentrification and/or racial shift to include more whites and Asians, then maybe it can become some sort of immigrant hub on the Southside, particularly for Black Africans and Caribbeans, which may lead to gentrification in the distant future. Regarding gentrification in Chicago(and probably in other cities), the trend I have noticed is that most(if not all) of the neighborhoods that have experienced gentrification were previously hubs for immigrants and alike.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-01-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 11-01-2017, 10:30 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,563,456 times
Quote:

Anyway, one thing to keep in mind when you're talking about this is that many neighborhoods which are currently diverse are simply in transition from one ethnic group to another. And I have noticed that whites in Chicagoland will generally only move to neighborhoods they believe are transitioning towards white, or Oak Park and Evanston, which have been consistently diverse and which are quite frankly so expensive there is little to no chance for racial turnover.

They will avoid and move away from a neighborhood that they believe is transitioning to non-white. They will cite the schools, house size, or something but they won't live there.

This phenomenon is why higher priced properties in need of serious work in Pilsen and east Little Village will sell in a couple days with multiple offers while properties just a couple miles away in East Garfield Park, which might have better technical attributes, will just sit on the market for eons. Nobody likes to talk about this in our liberal city but it is a sad and rather disappointing fact about Chicago.
I am not sure this is any different than other American (and even European) cities. People of all races tend to want to live where they represent the majority or at least not a small minority.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I am not sure this is any different than other American (and even European) cities. People of all races tend to want to live where they represent the majority or at least not a small minority.
That's fine but when a city professes to be very liberal, votes 80% Democrat, and shuts down a Presidential campaign rally and regularly protests in front of a condo building on the Mag Mile as a stand against "hate," I expect a lot more from such a city. I'm sorry it's just the way I feel.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I mean if a neighborhood contains multiple ethnic groups or nationalities (in case of hispanics) that fall under one race category.

South Shore's black population is predominately African-American(as in blacks whose ancestry trace back in this country at least a couple hundred years), but the area does appear to have attracted some African and Caribbeans, according to statistics and what I know of a few African and Carribean restaurant and take-out spots on E. 79th St and nearby. If not gentrification and/or racial shift to include more whites and Asians, then maybe it can become some sort of immigrant hub on the Southside, particularly for Black Africans and Caribbeans, which may lead to gentrification in the distant future. Regarding gentrification in Chicago(and probably in other cities), the trend I have noticed is that most(if not all) of the neighborhoods that have experienced gentrification were previously hubs for immigrants and alike.
A few restaurants with an ethnic twist isn't enough for me to place South Shore on the podium next to Oak Park and Evanston at the glitzy Chicago Miss Diversity Pageant. I'd need to see some census numbers.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:35 PM

6,427 posts, read 5,832,290 times
Quote:
I'd need to see some census numbers.
Here you go:

Demographics 2010
• White 1.29%
• Black 95.02%
• Hispanic 1.72%
• Asian 0.2%
• Other 1.77%

Old 11-01-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Here you go:

Demographics 2010
• White 1.29%
• Black 95.02%
• Hispanic 1.72%
• Asian 0.2%
• Other 1.77%
Wow. I think suburban Winfield is more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago