U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 PM

4,479 posts, read 7,927,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Do you see the latter happening in South Shore?
To be honest, I see minimal likelihood over the next twenty years. The South Shore's biggest advantage is its proximity to the Lake. Now, the Lake is not an amenity to be discounted. But the trouble there is if you are willing to put the Lake ahead of the risk of becoming a victim of a crime, then properties in Douglas are also very affordable, and offer you Green Line access, closer proximity to the Loop, and a hipster vibe not far west in Bridgeport and Pilsen. On the South Shore, you're basically on an island. So if I was a novice investor about to throw the proverbial "Hail Mary", I'd be looking for Douglas in the backfield, not the South Shore.

I just think the South Shore is too far south of familiar territory of the people who are spearheading gentrification in Chicago, and doesn't enough offer good public transit access to the Loop for me to advise someone to dump the proceeds of the family farm into it. If Chicago's economy explodes for some reason, the South Shore could be a candidate for gentrification. But I just don't see much happening there for quite some time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,378,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
To be honest, I see minimal likelihood over the next twenty years. The South Shore's biggest advantage is its proximity to the Lake. Now, the Lake is not an amenity to be discounted. But the trouble there is if you are willing to put the Lake ahead of the risk of becoming a victim of a crime, then properties in Douglas are also very affordable, and offer you Green Line access, closer proximity to the Loop, and a hipster vibe not far west in Bridgeport and Pilsen. On the South Shore, you're basically on an island. So if I was a novice investor about to throw the proverbial "Hail Mary", I'd be looking for Douglas in the backfield, not the South Shore.

I just think the South Shore is too far south of familiar territory of the people who are spearheading gentrification in Chicago, and doesn't enough offer good public transit access to the Loop for me to advise someone to dump the proceeds of the family farm into it. If Chicago's economy explodes for some reason, the South Shore could be a candidate for gentrification. But I just don't see much happening there for quite some time.
Minor point here, bru, and no offense implied, but it is South Shore, not "the South Shore"

Old 10-17-2017, 11:13 AM

4,479 posts, read 7,927,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Minor point here, bru, and no offense implied, but it is South Shore, not "the South Shore"
It's a reference to a Chinese meal in Toronto and I think that there is a "The." But I could be wrong. LOL!

Old 10-17-2017, 03:12 PM

6,360 posts, read 7,378,429 times
Quote:
It's a reference to a Chinese meal in Toronto and I think that there is a "The." But I could be wrong. LOL!

On a positive note, one is encouaged or even demanded to say "the North Shore".

Old 10-17-2017, 03:27 PM

4,802 posts, read 4,568,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
On a positive note, one is encouaged or even demanded to say "the North Shore".
Would be interesting if the North Shore was gentrified by hipsters and turned into an artsy suburban version of Wicker Park.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:40 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,273,457 times
Quote:
Would be interesting if the North Shore was gentrified by hipsters and turned into an artsy suburban version of Wicker Park.
That would be "degentrification", IMO. The North Shore is already wealthy. Most hipsters, not so much.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:59 PM

4,802 posts, read 4,568,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
That would be "degentrification", IMO. The North Shore is already wealthy. Most hipsters, not so much.
True but I meant more so in a scenario where North Shore deteriorates and later gentrifies.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:32 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,273,457 times
Quote:
True but I meant more so in a scenario where North Shore deteriorates and later gentrifies.
I can't imagine a scenario where the North Shore suburbs would ever deteriorate to that point.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:17 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,915,534 times
Quote:

Actually, the South Shore neighborhood does have the Metra Electric South Chicago branch running through it. Which is a plus, along with also the fact it's near the lakefront. And the bus routes running through there aren't bad, such as the #J14(Jeffery Jump), #6(runs express to downtown north of 47th St). The only problem with that area is other than a few nice sections of that neighborhood(i.e. Jackson Park Highlands, which has a lot of nice single family homes), it does become crime ridden the further south and west you go in that area. If it ever turned around, it'd be a great story. Since I did a group architecture tour of that area, and the housing stock in that area is really nice. The problem is, that not enough businesses and developers have taken a chance to invest in that area, and more needs to be done to be combat crime. The Stony Island Arts Bank opened not long ago, so maybe there is some hope for that area. And I hope the Regal Theater can successfully reopen, as well. I toured that theater a few Open House Chicago events back(3 years ago), and it's a really beautiful theater inside designed by John Eberson. Who btw, did design dozens and dozens of atmospheric theaters all over the US, and I believe he did at least a few outside the US too.

At least some buildings in that area have been rehabbed, but I wish more could be done to help that area. It'll be interesting if it became a neighborhood on the upswing, years from now. And I don't doubt that it may be possible it'll come to that someday, since parts of Woodlawn have gotten investment in recent years.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:14 AM

435 posts, read 854,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I can't imagine a scenario where the North Shore suburbs would ever deteriorate to that point.
Well Waukegan deteriorated but I'm not sure its considered part of the North Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago