U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 AM

4,478 posts, read 7,914,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Actually, the South Shore neighborhood does have the Metra Electric South Chicago branch running through it. Which is a plus, along with also the fact it's near the lakefront. And the bus routes running through there aren't bad, such as the #J14(Jeffery Jump), #6(runs express to downtown north of 47th St). The only problem with that area is other than a few nice sections of that neighborhood(i.e. Jackson Park Highlands, which has a lot of nice single family homes), it does become crime ridden the further south and west you go in that area. If it ever turned around, it'd be a great story. Since I did a group architecture tour of that area, and the housing stock in that area is really nice. The problem is, that not enough businesses and developers have taken a chance to invest in that area, and more needs to be done to be combat crime. The Stony Island Arts Bank opened not long ago, so maybe there is some hope for that area. And I hope the Regal Theater can successfully reopen, as well. I toured that theater a few Open House Chicago events back(3 years ago), and it's a really beautiful theater inside designed by John Eberson. Who btw, did design dozens and dozens of atmospheric theaters all over the US, and I believe he did at least a few outside the US too.

At least some buildings in that area have been rehabbed, but I wish more could be done to help that area. It'll be interesting if it became a neighborhood on the upswing, years from now. And I don't doubt that it may be possible it'll come to that someday, since parts of Woodlawn have gotten investment in recent years.
If it's off the hipster radar, gentrification won't happen, and the community will be left to appeal to more affluent younger people. That is really hard to do from a standstill, unless a developer comes in with a major project that offers high end living at a lower price. I agree those attributes you cite are good. But I lived in Berwyn for some years and first wave gentrifier types would not move there despite persistent attempts to market to them. It also had a Metra running right through it (15-18 minutes to the Loop), as well as probably the best residential architecture in Chicagoland. The mere thought of a Metra will send an urbanist hipster flailing and flopping around on the ground like you just threw hydrochloric acid in his face. It's the L or nothing.

South Shore has some advantage in that it's a city neighbourhood and not a suburb. And it has the CPS magnet schools which alleviate the crappy regular public schools. But the people who have been driving gentrification in Chicago over the past 30 years haven't exactly shown a strong affinity for the south side, though the changes in Bridgeport are a decent sign at least.

Last edited by BRU67; 10-19-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 11:55 AM

4,802 posts, read 4,548,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
If it's off the hipster radar, gentrification won't happen, and the community will be left to appeal to more affluent younger people. That is really hard to do from a standstill, unless a developer comes in with a major project that offers high end living at a lower price. I agree those attributes you cite are good. But I lived in Berwyn for some years and first wave gentrifier types would not move there despite persistent attempts to market to them. It also had a Metra running right through it (15-18 minutes to the Loop), as well as probably the best residential architecture in Chicagoland. The mere thought of a Metra will send an urbanist hipster flailing and flopping around on the ground like you just threw hydrochloric acid in his face. It's the L or nothing.

South Shore has some advantage in that it's a city neighbourhood and not a suburb. And it has the CPS magnet schools which alleviate the crappy regular public schools. But the people who have been driving gentrification in Chicago over the past 30 years haven't exactly shown a strong affinity for the south side, though the changes in Bridgeport are a decent sign at least.
That and many of these people don't consider an area like South Shore to be "the city".

Do any of you know if the area on 79th and Lake Shore is decent? It is right there by the eastern terminal of the 79 bus. I was looking into some property (condos) on the northeast corner.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That and many of these people don't consider an area like South Shore to be "the city".

Do any of you know if the area on 79th and Lake Shore is decent? It is right there by the eastern terminal of the 79 bus. I was looking into some property (condos) on the northeast corner.
I would have laughed my patootie off if you told me 15 years ago that property in Little Village would be worth more than Berwyn. I've learned a lot since then. It makes perfect sense if you're a hipster but it's utterly incomprehensible if you're not. You can talk about trains and great housing stock all you want but it doesn't really matter. And once they come in, people want to pay a lot of money to live around these people, for whatever reason. That's the fundamental of gentrification.

That's why I'm not high on South Shore being on the come up. It won't gentrify and it'll take a major macro event for it to bypass that on its way to affluence. And who can predict that? You might as well stick a power generator with a rod on it in your backyard and hope that lightning hits it so you can get free electricity.

Who knows though? Maybe Amazon can put its new headquarters down there, LOL!!

Old 10-19-2017, 02:22 PM

5,190 posts, read 2,415,506 times
Quote:
The mere thought of a Metra will send an urbanist hipster flailing and flopping around on the ground like you just threw hydrochloric acid in his face. It's the L or nothing.
Maybe so, but what those hipsters are forgetting is that the Metra line serving South Shore isn't like other Metra lines. Metra Electric has stops every 4 blocks in some parts of the city, and as little as every 2 blocks in Hyde Park. (Although, Metra recently made cutbacks on it.) It's even electric powered, like an L line. In fact, there are movements to convert most of the in-city portion of it into an L line (using Metra's rolling stock, but having the fare structure of CTA). Plus, if hipsters knew that you can drink onboard Metra, I'm sure they'd sing a different tune.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Maybe so, but what those hipsters are forgetting is that the Metra line serving South Shore isn't like other Metra lines. Metra Electric has stops every 4 blocks in some parts of the city, and as little as every 2 blocks in Hyde Park. (Although, Metra recently made cutbacks on it.) It's even electric powered, like an L line. In fact, there are movements to convert most of the in-city portion of it into an L line (using Metra's rolling stock, but having the fare structure of CTA). Plus, if hipsters knew that you can drink onboard Metra, I'm sure they'd sing a different tune.
I'm done trying to figure out their ironic ways. I need to see at least a few of them actually living there before I believe.

Though this is a good point. Maybe the City can encourage Metra Electric to serve $1 PBRs during happy hour so as to give the gentrification process a fighting chance, LOL!

Old 10-19-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It's not a rundown high-crime wasteland, like several other bad neighborhoods. Buildings are largely intact, businesses operate in the area, and there's even a Starbucks. But it's still not a nice area; especially the part you're looking at. If you must buy property there, your best bet is to look farther north, near 71st Street, where it borders Jackson Park Highlands. Otherwise, you're too close to South Chicago, an area worse off than South Shore.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:15 PM

3,899 posts, read 6,264,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Well Waukegan deteriorated but I'm not sure its considered part of the North Shore.
I would make an exception for Highwood as well.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Though this is a good point. Maybe the City can encourage Metra Electric to serve $1 PBRs during happy hour so as to give the gentrification process a fighting chance, LOL!
Too funny! Metra, and its predecessor or host railroads, actually used to have bar cars. Three lines (RI, MD-N, and MD-W) had them up until 2008! They've been replaced with BYOB on all lines, except during certain dates.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:40 PM

4,802 posts, read 4,548,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's not a rundown high-crime wasteland, like several other bad neighborhoods. Buildings are largely intact, businesses operate in the area, and there's even a Starbucks. But it's still not a nice area; especially the part you're looking at. If you must buy property there, your best bet is to look farther north, near 71st Street, where it borders Jackson Park Highlands. Otherwise, you're too close to South Chicago, an area worse off than South Shore.
Very true. Grew up in South Chicago and for me thenarea just brings nostalgia. But I am afraid you are right.

Are you sure that South Chicago is worse off than South Shore though?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:27 PM

6,360 posts, read 7,365,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Well Waukegan deteriorated but I'm not sure its considered part of the North Shore.
Nor North Chicago or Zion. Lake Bluff is as far as it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago