U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 10:40 AM

4,479 posts, read 7,918,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Yeah... or what's that other one.... Top and bottom.

That's why I like hyde park or Oak park. There's real black business.
I wonder what the demographics of their customers are.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 04:02 PM

3,973 posts, read 9,239,103 times
Currency Exchange Café

A lot of UofC students come west of the park to eat here, such a nice environment and awesome meals with reasonable prices.

https://www.bgabsgoodies.com/

Same thing here, but actually in Hyde Park.....if Vegan is your thing; it also has a lot of UofC traffic as well.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:38 PM

6,418 posts, read 5,756,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I think gap between the average Chicagoan in one of the white collar professions such as law, health care, risk management, finance, and international trade and his or her middle class counterpart is much, much greater today than it was in the 1990s.
The 1990s are practically yesterday. Are you thinking of the 1890s, when factory workers lived in tiny apartments in the shadow of their bosses' mansions? There have not been many middle-income manufacturing jobs in Chicago since the recessions of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Quote:
It's a sad commentary that a family in Belmont-Craigin making a household income of $60,000 is considered middle-class now.
They are the same class of people making the same income my parents did 50 years ago, but they speak Spanish instead of Yiddish at home. If you think the middle class had it easy back then, you need to study some history.

Quote:
A college grad in the right profession can make twice that, easy.
There are a lot of people trained to be white-collar professionals who are handing out muffins at Starbucks and would do almost anything for a $60,000 paycheck. And a lot of them live in studio apartments in Rogers Park or in the Clark Street corridor of Lincoln Park/Lakeview, waiting for a break.

Of course, some young people are doing very well, but mostly the "wealthy" are over 40 and, more typically, over 50. Unless you have an extraordinary stroke of luck, it takes time to build a fortune.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:37 PM

4,479 posts, read 7,918,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The 1990s are practically yesterday. Are you thinking of the 1890s, when factory workers lived in tiny apartments in the shadow of their bosses' mansions? There have not been many middle-income manufacturing jobs in Chicago since the recessions of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

They are the same class of people making the same income my parents did 50 years ago, but they speak Spanish instead of Yiddish at home. If you think the middle class had it easy back then, you need to study some history.

There are a lot of people trained to be white-collar professionals who are handing out muffins at Starbucks and would do almost anything for a $60,000 paycheck. And a lot of them live in studio apartments in Rogers Park or in the Clark Street corridor of Lincoln Park/Lakeview, waiting for a break.

Of course, some young people are doing very well, but mostly the "wealthy" are over 40 and, more typically, over 50. Unless you have an extraordinary stroke of luck, it takes time to build a fortune.
I wish you were right but, unfortunately, I'm indeed thinking of the 1990s. In 1998, there were about 17.6 million manufacturing jobs in the U.S., compared to only about 12.3 million today.

https://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet

U.S. has lost 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000 - Mar. 29, 2016

A fairly significant decline if you think about it (over 30%). And I'm sure in Chicago, what with it's out of control taxation and ridiculous workers' compensation laws, didn't fare any better than the nation as a whole.

I don't even want to get into the idea that today's "middle class" has the same opportunities that the middle class of the 1960s did. I think any statistic you could cite would refute that, at least in terms of job opportunities and wages.

I'd say you're right in that there are some young pros on the skids, including some who are probably serving up muffins at Starbucks as we speak - though not my favorite oatmeal raisin cookie anymore But I think by and large, Chicago is a wonderful place for young professionals right now. Probably better than it's ever been.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I wish you were right but, unfortunately, I'm indeed thinking of the 1990s. In 1998, there were about 17.6 million manufacturing jobs in the U.S., compared to only about 12.3 million today.

https://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet

U.S. has lost 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000 - Mar. 29, 2016

A fairly significant decline if you think about it (over 30%).
That's a decline from 11% of the workforce to 7%. Not as big when you look at it that way. The U.S. low-skilled manufacturing labor market was shot by 2000.

Quote:
I don't even want to get into the idea that today's "middle class" has the same opportunities that the middle class of the 1960s did. I think any statistic you could cite would refute that, at least in terms of job opportunities and wages.
The middle class of the 1960s looked different; they were almost entirely white, and worked in factories (absolutely miserable jobs) for wages ranging from near-poverty to the UAW crowd in Michigan that had bass boats and gigantic cars. (Thank you, UAW, for running the American auto industry into the ground after making horrible cars for decades.)

The middle class of today works for the police department, fire department, or teacher's union, or in a hospital - they're darker, somewhat educated, and have much better working conditions. That's a lot of change, not all of it for the better. And the change has given massive power to the government that it did not have.

But what you can buy with a middle income today is far superior to what you could buy in the 1960s - a car that always runs, a mobile phone, a house three times a large (my factory-worker father-in-law raised his family in 800 square feet), a vacation in Cabo instead of Niagara Falls, and medical care that makes 1960s medical care look barbaric.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:15 AM

160 posts, read 104,154 times
No, not yet. Woodlawn on the other hand, is just south of Hyde Park and is experiencing gentrification. Woodlawn would have to flip first, then South Shore would follow.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
No, not yet. Woodlawn on the other hand, is just south of Hyde Park and is experiencing gentrification. Woodlawn would have to flip first, then South Shore would follow.
...but the housing stock is much nicer in South Shore. Both communities seem pretty far away from robust gentrification to me.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:30 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,111,374 times
Quote:
No it isn't and no it didn't. That's called redevelopment. The truth is that no white people in any numbers have ever voluntarily moved to a predominantly African-American neighborhood in our city without massive redevelopment projects. As an aside, that's kind of surprising to me given how liberal our city is, or pretends to be.
haha had to kind of laugh at your comment so true, I see all these comments "I'm looking for a diverse" neighborhood, they want a few token african americans on the block, maybe a latino and an asian so they can feel good about how openminded they are. They aren't looking to move into a majority african american neighborhood.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:37 PM

4,802 posts, read 4,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
haha had to kind of laugh at your comment so true, I see all these comments "I'm looking for a diverse" neighborhood, they want a few token african americans on the block, maybe a latino and an asian so they can feel good about how openminded they are. They aren't looking to move into a majority african american neighborhood.
Well technically a majority AA neighborhood is in fact not diverse.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:39 PM

5,196 posts, read 2,423,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Haha! This looks like something straight out of Cards Against Humanity: "A smiling black man, a Latina businesswoman, a cool Asian, and some whites."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago