Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmylifeline View Post
that really tickles my fancy for sure. I love creative people and living around diverse and creative people would be KEY for me. And it's really nice and convienient that I would be living pretty close to Columbia College. But since it is like a mile away, what ways would their be to get there? Does a transit system run past?
Also, how much does it cost to live in this area? I would really apreciate that info.
THANKS.
Every single "L" line that runs downtown has a stop within two blocks of Columbia. That includes the Pink Line which serves much of Pilsen.

I will caution, however, that Pilsen still has a rather gritty feel to it. It's not a particularly dangerous neighborhood by Chicago standards but there are some crime and gang problems there. It can be pretty intimidating for someone who is new to the urban experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:07 PM

172 posts, read 438,363 times
I was going to suggest Pilsen to you. It isn't scary to me but I grew up in Chicago. It might seem scary at first esp. for someone who comes from a small town. There is a lot to do in Pilsen though. There are lots of people interested in art in that area. Plus it is right by the pink line which can take you downtown in 15 mins or less. I think you should take a ride on the Pink line if you do come visit chicago. You can also walk around Pilsen a little to get a feel for it. There are quite a few cute coffee shops in that area. I know a few people who live in Pilsen and love it. Good luck with school and everything else!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:13 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Every single "L" line that runs downtown has a stop within two blocks of Columbia. That includes the Pink Line which serves much of Pilsen.

I will caution, however, that Pilsen still has a rather gritty feel to it. It's not a particularly dangerous neighborhood by Chicago standards but there are some crime and gang problems there. It can be pretty intimidating for someone who is new to the urban experience.
I agree, particularly from Montana, Pilsen is a stretch. It's a stretch from the suburbs of Chicago, too, for a living situation for quite a few 18 year olds.....

I think it's time to visit the college websites, contact the admisdsions/financial aid offices, and review the info. If you decide to visit before applying, DePaul and Columbia would be obvious choices. The websites, phone calls and personal visits will answer all of your questions accurately.

I would not commit to a living situation, period, on campus or off, until I visited the specific facilities/area.

I agree with almost all the info on the above posts. Including Columbia's policy of "admit just about everyone." That can be good and bad, depending on your academic standing and whether the program fits.

The Art Institute of Chicago "School of the Art Institute" may have a film department also. The Illinois Institute of Art and Design (think that's the name), pretty sure.

CRITICALLY IMPORTANT:I would visit the college sites and see which ones have internships available to students in your field. That's critical.

DePaul has no "Catholic" requirement. They MAY favor Catholics for admission, some Cath. colleges do, but their Admissions Dept. could tell you that. They may require an "ethics" course or a "world religions" (non denominational) course for any liberal arts graduate as a "Gen Ed" requirement. That's not a bad thing for a liberal arts student, anyway, and probably necessary.

You can also google "Film Studies College Level Chicago" or "Bachelor's Degree Film Studies", etc., and see what you find.

Last edited by Sailaway50; 03-27-2008 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-27-2008, 02:17 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Drover and prinessa:

I'm sure you mean well, but:

1. The Podmajerskey Empire is on the far east end of Pilsen, centered in the Halsted Street corridor. The Pink Line is West of Ashland, over a mile away. You are sending her the WRONG way!!

2. The tough part of Pilsen is also to the West.

3. The gritty, urban, INDUSTRIAL ambiance is precisely what attracts bohemians to it in the first place. Take it away, and the neighborhood becomes just another boring, stupid place like University Village, where nerds such as myself live and thrive. :-)

Callmylifeline:

The two quickest ways to get to Columbia College are:

1. By bicycle: Head up or down Halsted to 18th Street, head East across the bridge over the river into the South Loop and north on Wabash. 10 minutes. That's right, bicycle - Its a serious mode of transportation in this town, way faster than car or CTA.

2. by CTA: Stand on the corner at 18th and Halsted, and catch the first of either the 18th Street bus east or the Halsted bus North (it will most likely be the Halsted bus, but you never know). If you take the Halsted bus North, get off at Roosevelt and take either the 127 or the 12 bus east across the river and get off at State. Walk to campus. If you take the 18th Street bus, get off at Cermak/Chinatown and take the Red Line to Harrison. 20 minutes either way. Coming home, return via Roosevelt Road, and either walk through the UIC campus down Halsted to Pilsen (a VERY pleasant walk), or take the Halsted bus.

As far as rents go, I am neither a kid, an artist, or a hipster, so I can't quote you the going rate for studio space. I can tell you that 2 bd apartments in Pilsen start at around $600.00 per month and go up from there. You could probably pay as much as $1200.00 if you really wanted to, but you won't really be experienceing Pilsen if you go too upscale. You should also look on the UIC website (UIC Announce) for roomate options, because there are a substantial number of UIC students living down there as well. There may even be Columbia College kids, too.

Hope that helps, and bst of luck.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 PM

81 posts, read 155,808 times
Quote:

thank you for that. and that's kind of the experience I'm looking for when it comes to Pilsen. I really think that would be a really rad place to live, 'cause I'm looking for a change. I'm so sick of Podunk Montana. I beg all of you to never come here unless you're looking to retire/ski. ANd you can ski in Oregon, too, and it's much more pretty and amazing.
but yeah. That's enough of me ranting about Montana
haha

Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinsessa View Post
I was going to suggest Pilsen to you. It isn't scary to me but I grew up in Chicago. It might seem scary at first esp. for someone who comes from a small town. There is a lot to do in Pilsen though. There are lots of people interested in art in that area. Plus it is right by the pink line which can take you downtown in 15 mins or less. I think you should take a ride on the Pink line if you do come visit chicago. You can also walk around Pilsen a little to get a feel for it. There are quite a few cute coffee shops in that area. I know a few people who live in Pilsen and love it. Good luck with school and everything else!

thank you so much I'm definitely going to keep that in mind. Wow. This is a lot to think about and you guys are putting my mind at ease (I kinda am stressed out about this whole college thing. And I'm only a junior). Thank you for so much great information. You guys have been a serious help

Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
I agree, particularly from Montana, Pilsen is a stretch. It's a stretch from the suburbs of Chicago, too, for a living situation for quite a few 18 year olds.....

I think it's time to visit the college websites, contact the admisdsions/financial aid offices, and review the info. If you decide to visit before applying, DePaul and Columbia would be obvious choices. The websites, phone calls and personal visits will answer all of your questions accurately.

I would not commit to a living situation, period, on campus or off, until I visited the specific facilities/area.

I agree with almost all the info on the above posts. Including Columbia's policy of "admit just about everyone." That can be good and bad, depending on your academic standing and whether the program fits.

The Art Institute of Chicago "School of the Art Institute" may have a film department also. The Illinois Institute of Art and Design (think that's the name), pretty sure.

CRITICALLY IMPORTANT:I would visit the college sites and see which ones have internships available to students in your field. That's critical.

DePaul has no "Catholic" requirement. They MAY favor Catholics for admission, some Cath. colleges do, but their Admissions Dept. could tell you that. They may require an "ethics" course or a "world religions" (non denominational) course for any liberal arts graduate as a "Gen Ed" requirement. That's not a bad thing for a liberal arts student, anyway, and probably necessary.

You can also google "Film Studies College Level Chicago" or "Bachelor's Degree Film Studies", etc., and see what you find.

I know it's a stretch, but like I said before, I'm ready for a fast-paced lifestyle and a culture shock and I'm ready for the big city, I really think I am. Haha. Even though I probably sounded like I was 7 years old when I said that.

I think you're totally right when it comes to visiting the websites. I've already looked really thoroughly into Columbia, and they look like a really nice college. I just heard that living can go up to 11K a year. Which is scary to me. But I'm willing to get a part time job too.

I also think you're right when it comes to visiting the colleges FIRST and visiting the places where I would like to live in the city before I make a decision. I would have to do a lot of searching and find one that I really fall in love with/don't totally think is a waste of time. haha.

Columbia College I"m not sure about internships, but I know at least most art Institutes offer internships, and that's part of the cirriculum. But you never know. I don't know where I'd find that on the Columbia website. I've searched and found nothing.
And I'll keep my mind open to DePaul for sure. THanks!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 PM

Oh, Pilsen will be a culture shock all right. Especially if English is your only language.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Oh, Pilsen will be a culture shock all right. Especially if English is your only language.
I'm really, really good with german if that helps.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:46 PM

It might help a tiny bit up in Lincoln Square, but not in Pilsen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago