Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 01:42 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
No, it's not. But when someone says that if you're on the south side you're poor, dumb, and murderous (those were his words) it deserves a correction.
Take a look at the thread title. The author of that post was pointing out what (s)he perceives as misperceptions about Chicagoans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 01:43 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Chicago being fast-paced.

I lose my mind several times per day because of seemingly able-bodied people that don't do things near as quickly as they should or just acting completely oblivious in public space (though there's an element of that everywhere thanks to smartphones).
But to me, the fact that such slowpokes stick out like a sore thumb is proof that Chicago really is fast paced.

And, depending on where in Chicago you happen to be, a good number of those people might be tourists.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:53 AM

636 posts, read 611,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
But to me, the fact that such slowpokes stick out like a sore thumb is proof that Chicago really is fast paced.
That's a distortion of my perception. I'm saying the "slowpokes" aren't the exceptions that prove the rule. They're generally the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
And, depending on where in Chicago you happen to be, a good number of those people might be tourists.
Not really applicable in my case. Most tourists are gonna be in the loop, river north, wrigleyville, all of which I'm rarely in. I'm talking mainly about the people I encounter in my neighborhood on a daily basis at the train stop, jewel, etc. I suppose a few could be airbnbers but most are likely residents.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:12 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Did someone mention this one yet? So many people not familiar with Chicago or its history think the nickname "the windy city" refers to its climate, lol. NOT! I've corrected quite a few people on this one

Old 11-26-2017, 11:47 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Did someone mention this one yet? So many people not familiar with Chicago or its history think the nickname "the windy city" refers to its climate, lol. NOT! I've corrected quite a few people on this one
Change of Subject: For our out of town guests: Why Chicago is called `the Windy City'

Quote:
The closest anyone has gotten to the truth about the "Windy City" nickname seems to be the research of etymologist Barry Popik. He says the earliest examples of the moniker for Chicago meant both wind and windbags, and Dana had nothing to do with it. And he's sick of people who can't get it straight.

Popik, a consultant to the Oxford English Dictionary, spends his days working as a judge in New York City's bureau of parking violations. He spends his nights in libraries looking at old newspapers, microfiche and digital databases, hunting for early examples of famous nicknames and slang. Then he embarks on vigorous letter-writing campaigns to let everyone know what he has found.

In the mid-1990s, Popik set his sights on "Windy City," and started scanning hundreds of editions of the New York Sun -- a newspaper that was published from 1833 to 1950 -- in the New York Public Library.

He couldn't find a single instance of Dana using the name "Windy City."

Then Popik started looking further back, and in other newspapers, traveling to the Library of Congress to search through them.

He found a Louisville Courier-Journal reference to "Windy City" in 1886 -- one year before the Oxford English Dictionary's first citing. He found the 1885 article from the Cleveland Gazette. He came across several examples from the early 1880s in newspapers such as the Fort Wayne Daily Gazette, the Indiana Progress and the Decatur Daily Republican.

Cincinnati connection

Finally, Popik isolated a single source. "Windy City," he says, may have been coined by -- drum roll, please -- Cincinnati.

Popik found numerous references to Chicago as the "Windy City" in the Cincinnati Enquirer in the late 1870s and early 1880s. The oldest instance Popik has found is in the May 9, 1876, edition of the Enquirer, in a report about a tornado that hit Chicago on May 6. The headline read, "That Windy City."

Popik found numerous references to Chicago as the "Windy City" in the Cincinnati Enquirer in the late 1870s and early 1880s. The oldest instance Popik has found is in the May 9, 1876, edition of the Enquirer, in a report about a tornado that hit Chicago on May 6. The headline read, "That Windy City."
So despite the urban legend that the original referred to long-winded politicians, the truth is that it did refer to the weather here.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:56 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Default windy city nickname

^^^^ But the problem with your claim that the nickname "Windy City" DOES refer to the climate is that Chicago is not generally windier than other cities, so I'm inclined to believe it's referring to the wind-bag politicians.

FYI. Amarillo TX is America's windiest major city.

Last edited by DougStark; 11-26-2017 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 06:11 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
No, it's not. But when someone says that if you're on the south side you're poor, dumb, and murderous (those were his words) it deserves a correction.
So, now there are two people who can't comprehend the title of this thread?

Old 11-26-2017, 06:24 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Here are my perceptions of Chicago. Not sure which are fake news. No offense intended to your great city.

1. Chicago is much colder than NYC in the winter and hotter in the summer.
2. Chicago is very segregated.
3. Chicago is more of a bar city than a nightclub city and the bars are full of frats from Big10 colleges.
5. Chicago’s “ethnic neighborhoods” aside from Hispanic are mostly 3rd generation or higher meaning that there really aren’t very many.
6. Chicago is expensive for the Midwest but noticeably cheaper than major coastal cities.
7. Most gun violence is in the south and west. The rest of the city is as safe or safer than other big cities (like NYC or LA).
8. Chicago is a very clean city compared to LA, NYC, and SF.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:51 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Chicago being fast-paced.

I lose my mind several times per day because of seemingly able-bodied people that don't do things near as quickly as they should or just acting completely oblivious in public space (though there's an element of that everywhere thanks to smartphones).
The parenthetical part of your post is key. I've encountered this in L.A., Boston, New York, Taipei, Singapore, Tokyo, and everywhere else, so I don't see it as a Chicago thing. In Tokyo they even have signs in the train stations telling people not to walk while looking at their phones because it impedes traffic flow, but people still do it. I've been guilty of it more than once myself, though I try to step off to the side and out of the way when I need to look at my phone.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:27 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
So, now there are two people who can't comprehend the title of this thread?
The post was ambiguous. "one of the misconceptions is that..." would have been clearer, but I stand corrected. Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago