Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 05:55 AM

50 posts, read 57,188 times

Advertisements

Our son will be working near the Merchandise Mart (around Kenzie) and is looking for an apartment. He will be working from about 3pm to midnight and will be driving to work so he doesn’t have to take the trains late at night. A place that includes reserved parking is a high priority so he is not parking late at night too far from his apartment.

He has two options. 1 - Get a small apartment for himself anywhere. 2 - Share an apartment with a former roommate from college he gets along with well. But this person will be attending UIC for grad school and will not have a car so needs to live near UIC (or have safe way to commute to UIC).

He really would like to share an apartment so we are looking for suggestions of a location that would work for both of them. A 2 bedroom cost would preferably be under $1700 a month.
- safe area
- easy way to get to UIC for roommate
- at least one parking space included (covered preferred, but probably tough to find)

We don’t know a lot about the areas near UIC. I was thinking they could look out around Oak Park and roommate could take blue line train to UIC but not sure if that is safe for him.

Looking forward to suggestions on where they should be looking.

If they can’t find a place that meets both their needs, I’d also be interested in area for studio / 1 bedroom for just our son for under $900 with reserved parking as well.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 06:31 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Both his work and UIC are relatively close to the Blue Line El so I'd focus on areas close to subway stops on that line. Does he need a car for his job? I personally wouldn't hesitate to commute on the Blue Line at night. I don't see any reason for young men to move to Oak Park. The city is lots more fun.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:39 AM

He feels it is safer to drive in since he is leaving from work sometimes closer to 1am.

What would be a more fun area closer to the city that meets both their needs?

Old 11-05-2017, 06:45 AM

Are there nice areas north of UIC where his roommate could take the blue line? Is around Humboldt Park, Wicker Park, or West Town nice?

Last edited by Thrifty99; 11-05-2017 at 06:58 AM..

Old 11-05-2017, 07:07 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrifty99 View Post
Are there nice areas north of UIC where his roommate could take the blue line? Is around Humboldt Park, Wicker Park, or West Town nice?
Blue Line stops from downtown to Logan Square would all be good.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:48 AM

186 posts, read 243,230 times
Wicker park and bucktown are very trendy and cool.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:49 AM

186 posts, read 243,230 times
Oakpark would be ok, but a longer commute of course. It has a nice downtown but as stated the city is more lively.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:04 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Both his work and UIC are relatively close to the Blue Line El so I'd focus on areas close to subway stops on that line. Does he need a car for his job? I personally wouldn't hesitate to commute on the Blue Line at night. I don't see any reason for young men to move to Oak Park. The city is lots more fun.
I would not take the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line by myself late at night on a regular basis. The O'Hare branch, sure, but not the Forest Park branch. I would find a place for the UIC student to walk and your son can drive. There is no good reason for them to live in Oak Park, which will be inconvenient for both of them.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
The idea that driving a car will make you safer is ill-informed--so much so that I have to question the point of moving to Chicago at all, if someone is this fearful about the perception of crime. According to FBI statistics, a person is sixty times more likely to be the victim of a crime while in a vehicle, than on public transit. On CTA specifically, violent crime affects less than 3/10,000th of all trips made annually.

Moreover, you have mentioned 'reserved parking' at the apartment, but where is he going to park the car while he is working? Mart-area parking runs about $50/day or $250/mo. Apartment parking rates would typically be $175-200/mo, so a combined cost of more than $400/mo for parking at work and at home. That's a lot of money to pay for parking for someone who can only afford $850/mo in rent.

The Forest Park Blue Line branch has a bad stretch around Cicero-Kedzie/Homan but that doesn't affect most passengers...certainly not thru passengers riding on to stations beyond. And definitely not passengers who pay attention to their surroundings. The Blue Line stations aren't anywhere near the downtown areas of Oak Park or Forest Park though. They are decidedly suburban-feeling areas. I'd probably choose Wicker Park myself, if I wanted to stick to the Blue Line.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
The blue line at 1am or so is distinctly different than during day hours. Homeless, junkies, harassers -- and the red line isn't a whole lot better. It is what it is, but let's not act like we all haven't witnessed awful s-hit on the trains. Often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago