Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a general tone of dislike and some disgust for neighborhoods on the South Side and West Side, particularly areas with high concentration of Blacks and Hispanics. As someone who grew up on the South Side I'll be the first to admit the South Side isn't as hip or trendy as the North Side, but the way some of the people here describe it borders on a pompous attitude. Just my observation.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Thanks, and have a nice day.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
I loved the West Side. 45 years ago.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:24 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
this sounds familiar...

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...chicago-s.html

Old 05-31-2008, 12:46 AM

Actually my Yuppie daughter and her husband live on the West Side, around Grand and Ashland. Nice neighborhood, several Italian restuarants and bakeries around and an Irish tavern on the corner too. I might go there myself.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:38 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Actually my Yuppie daughter and her husband live on the West Side, around Grand and Ashland. Nice neighborhood, several Italian restuarants and bakeries around and an Irish tavern on the corner too. I might go there myself.
I don't think that is the 'west side' that is being discussed. I live over by there myself and most people consider that the north-side.

I have no problems with the locations of neighborhoods, know of many nice neighborhoods on the southside, have friends who live on the south-side, regularly visit them, and have been familiar with certain parts of Chicago's south-side since I was a child (as I grew up in the burbs just south of chicago and had family friends who lived on the south side of the city).

I do however, have a problem with stray bullets and generally avoid neighborhoods where that might be a problem, wherever they are located. This has nothing to do with 'sides', just my dislike of bullets. To say that there aren't some neighborhoods that are best avoided would be disingenuous, and we all know it (and back in '91, I lived in a rather nasty neighborhood on the northside, and heard gunfire on several occasions up there too, least one think I'm dismissing any 'side' of the city).

Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 AM

"I don't think that is the 'west side' that is being discussed. I live over by there myself and most people consider that the north-side."

Well there might be some form of apology or denial going on. Or real estate salespeople shenanigans. But historically that's the West Side, it sure was considered the West Side when I was growing up on the West Side and the North Side didn't start until North Avenue unless you were talking directly north of the Loop.

Think about it, 1600 west and 700 north is alot more west than north. Common sense makes it the West Side.

Regards

Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Well, put simply, there's a disproportionate level of crime and other stupid crap going on in those areas, so they are fodder for contempt. It's not because they aren't "hip" -- well, they definitely aren't but that's besides the point.

I think, generally, people's tolerance for the behavior you see in those areas is starting to shrink. 20 years ago we were more inclined to be "touchy feely" about it and blame society, while at the same time kind of ignoring it. Now, not so much.

While I'm not a fan of the smug voyeuristic nature of these "Worst Chicago Neighborhood" threads we've been seeing as of late, it may not be a bad thing if people start saying enough is enough to the kind of behavior which prevails in those areas.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
"I don't think that is the 'west side' that is being discussed. I live over by there myself and most people consider that the north-side."

Well there might be some form of apology or denial going on. Or real estate salespeople shenanigans. But historically that's the West Side, it sure was considered the West Side when I was growing up on the West Side and the North Side didn't start until North Avenue unless you were talking directly north of the Loop.

Think about it, 1600 west and 700 north is alot more west than north. Common sense makes it the West Side.

Regards
Oh, I'm well aware of that. I'm responding the OP, and I know for a fact that the 'west-side' he/she is referring to is not the corner of Grand and Ashland.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:50 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I'm with tom -- it is marketing speak, though it does make sense. Hell, not that long ago the "near north side" & even north loop were HELL HOLES -- the IBM building was steps away from peep shows. "near north side" meant Cabrini & the surrounding projects. The real estate boom HAS done much more to remedy the problems of Chicago than any government action.

West is west!

The "crime belt" aspect of the West Side is getting narrower and less viable as tenements and projects give way to "lofts" and all new construction.

Progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago