U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:41 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,670,209 times

Advertisements

also, competition for bartending and even waitressing jobs in chicago are insane. I was older and had experience and it was so very hard for me to find a job in chicago when i was going to school at UIC. Again, when i moved home after being away for ahwile, I could not just "find a job" the competition for service jobs is insance because you have people in chicago who make service (bartending, waitressing, retail) a career....and most of them have years of experience and are over 18.

I dont mean to discourage you but I lived in the city at a young age too, though over 21, and it can be so very hard. The place isn't so nice if your struggling and you cant afford to feel safe or pay all your bills and end up in debt.

You might be able to find a good waitressing job, but believe me...there is no shortage of good people to fill these jobs already.

It would help tremendously if you had a job set up before hand.

But even still, dont expect any neighborhood to be "safe"

we always here on the news when there is a rape in a so called "safe" neighborhood -- young women saying that they thought this "doesn't happen here"

I assure you, the south loop is dicey....especially at night and your a young female.

Lincoln Park is better but travelling there at night via the el or bus is not exactly what I would call safe either.

Lincoln Park is one of the safer neighborhoods yes, but it is still chicago.

Dont let me trample your dreams but please be aware of what your getting into.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 04:36 PM

33 posts, read 104,430 times
would it be better for me to take a car with me, for transportation or to take cabs/buses/trains? i decided i will live in campus at the school i am applying, so this will probably help me with finding a safe place to live, etc. i just need to find a job out there and get my letter back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: