Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 01:36 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
When they're your only choice, what are you going to do?
There are plenty of internet providers, in Chicago. Still, Comcast Xfinity is the number one choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Monopolies and good service generally don't go together.
Few cable internet providers can match the speeds of Comcast XFINITY. Its Extreme 105 package has download speeds up to 105 Mbps, which is some of the fastest consumer internet service available.

XFINITY’s upload speeds are just as impressive as its download speeds, with the company’s best package offering 20 Mbps. Of course, this number is less important because, on average, people do much more downloading than uploading. Still, if you find yourself frequently posting videos online or uploading other major content, it may be wise to choose an internet provider like Comcast XFINITY that provides higher upload rates.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:55 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
OP,
It really depends on where you live. Some condo/apt buildings have contracts with the provider so you really don't have a choice. For example, the condo I own uses Comcast and they charge us $23/month for basic cable/internet on the HOA. We can opt out but it will cost me at least $60 for the same deal anywhere else so obviously I just go with Comcast.

Comcast is awesome. Their customer service used to suck big time. It was so bad that I switched to RCN and refused to go back. At least until I bought said condo. Now that I have Comcast again I love it.

I still don't have any negative feelings towards RCN. They have very good customer service. The only thing I don't like as much as Comcast is the On Demand. Since you're asking for Internet then that shouldn't apply to you.

I did have AT&T Uverse at one time and the internet sucked. Playing video games online I found myself always lagging. That was a long time ago so maybe they are better now but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Comcast is awesome. Their customer service used to suck big time. It was so bad that I switched to RCN and refused to go back. Now that I have Comcast again I love it.
This Guy (pun intended) is keeping it real and obviously knows what he's talking about.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:18 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Comcast is awesome. Their customer service used to suck big time.
That's why they had to rebrand their internet service as "Xfinity." The Comcast brand had such a bad reputation for internet service that it couldn't be salvaged. From what I can tell the actual service didn't change that much with the name, though.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
...they [Comcast] had to rebrand their internet service as "Xfinity." The Comcast brand had such a bad reputation for internet service that it couldn't be salvaged.

Comcast didn't rebrand anything. In fact, what the company did was brand the name of their services. That's not a rebrand, that's giving a brand to something [their services] that did not have one.
For example, customers who use to buy their TV service from Comcast, now buy Xfinity TV from Comcast. If they were buying internet from Comcast, they will now buy Xfinity Internet from Comcast. Comcast also offers their customers Xfinity Voice for phone service, and Xfinity Home for home security service.

Again, the services, and the company that offers them, are the same. The only change is that, now, the services have their own brand. By the way, this is no different than buying a vehicle, e.g. if you want a Cadillac, Chevy, GMC, or Buick, these are all different brands, sold buy the same company [General Motors].

Don't get it twisted, the branding of services is nothing new. In fact, other telecommunications companies have done the same thing, e.g. AT&T created a brand name for their services, it's called U-Verse.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:40 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Comcast didn't rebrand anything. In fact, what the company did was brand the name of their services. That's not a rebrand, that's giving a brand to something [their services] that did not have one.
You sound awfully defensive. Are you an employee or investor? It used to be called Comcast Internet. Now it's called Xfinity. I'm no marketing expert, but that sounds like a rebrand to me, and it was done for a reason. That reason was NOT that things were going super well for them.

Quote:
Again, the services, and the company that offers them, are the same.
Exactly. That's what a rebrand is-- when the same company offers the same service under a new name. If it was a different company or a brand new service, it wouldn't be a rebrand at all.

Quote:
By the way, this is no different than buying a vehicle, e.g. if you want a Cadillac, Chevy, GMC, or Buick, these are all different brands, sold buy the same company [General Motors].
If any of the current models of Cadillacs, Chevys, or Buicks were previously branded as simply "General Motors" (which I don't think is the case, though I could be wrong), then that, too, would be a rebrand.

Quote:
AT&T created a brand name for their services, it's called U-Verse.
Yep. They rebranded, too, and for similar reason. I wasn't claiming that rebranding is anything new-- It's actually quite common, which is why there is a term for it.

Last edited by SkylarkPhotoBooth; 12-18-2017 at 04:51 AM..

Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
When I was looking for a new internet service a few years ago I asked friends and coworkers what I should get and many told me to stay away from Comcast and go with ATT&T instead. So I did and have loved it!

Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Comcast/xfinity is good but AT&T also has a big presence here. You can get 50Mbps Internet from AT&T for $40 per month. https://www.att.com/internet/

1TB data usage limit, but it's really hard to go over that amount unless you have a large family that's streaming all the time.
AT&T's service in Chicago is spotty and the customer service is horrendous. I had AT&T when I lived in Texas and transferred my account when I moved back to Chicago. In Texas (AT&T's headquarters), the service was great as well as the customer service. I had no problems at all.

My internet is constantly going out since I started service in Chicago and customer service is not helpful at all, especially if there is a billing issue.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:32 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
I loved my RCN internet (cable, too) when I lived in Chicago. But, as others have already pointed out, it's not available in all parts of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: