Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:48 PM

6 posts, read 5,204 times

Advertisements

Hello, I currently live in Atlanta, been here for the past 3.5 years after I was offered a job out of school. My manager has recently offered me an option of moving to Chicago, or really, anywhere in Central part, but I am thinking Chicago at the moment. Here are some details about me and what I am looking for, it would be great to get some inputs from experienced Chicago members here.

Work Situation: I work from home, and travel for work across the Central states about twice every month for 3 days on and average. While I am working from home, I am with customers on the phone, webex etc all the time. So it is important for me to have a nice / pleasant surrounding and not be couped up in a small apartment with no light. I understand Chicago is a way busier city that Atlanta and I want to experience it but at the same time I love nature and would love to stay close to parks/lakes.

Dog Situation: I have a Black and Tan coon hound mix (70lbs), he is extremely well trained (won the most talented dog of the year title in my apartment complex, hah) and is spoiled because currently I live next to the river and he gets to run around in the trees a lot! Also, I have realized, dog park is the place where I start growing my social circle from, so walking distance to a dog park will be pretty important.

Personal life situation: I am 35 years old, out of a long relationship and heartbroken. So want to be able to meet someone who I can build a life with (hah, big expectations, but hey, whats the harm in trying).

Some other important details:
Budget: 2k (including parking)
Type: 1 B 1 B + Car parking
Building type preference:
1. I want to be in downtown area.
2. Not really much into High rises, I love the ones where I can take out my dog fast, so ground floor is most preferred in small buildings.
3. Also, I am what a lot of people call here, very neighborly, so anything that has a neighborhood feeling would be great!
4. A building / apartment from where my dog gets to see people walking by would be perfect, he loves people-watching while I am working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 07:40 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_001 View Post
Hello, I currently live in Atlanta, been here for the past 3.5 years after I was offered a job out of school. My manager has recently offered me an option of moving to Chicago, or really, anywhere in Central part, but I am thinking Chicago at the moment. Here are some details about me and what I am looking for, it would be great to get some inputs from experienced Chicago members here.

Work Situation: I work from home, and travel for work across the Central states about twice every month for 3 days on and average. While I am working from home, I am with customers on the phone, webex etc all the time. So it is important for me to have a nice / pleasant surrounding and not be couped up in a small apartment with no light. I understand Chicago is a way busier city that Atlanta and I want to experience it but at the same time I love nature and would love to stay close to parks/lakes.

Dog Situation: I have a Black and Tan coon hound mix (70lbs), he is extremely well trained (won the most talented dog of the year title in my apartment complex, hah) and is spoiled because currently I live next to the river and he gets to run around in the trees a lot! Also, I have realized, dog park is the place where I start growing my social circle from, so walking distance to a dog park will be pretty important.

Personal life situation: I am 35 years old, out of a long relationship and heartbroken. So want to be able to meet someone who I can build a life with (hah, big expectations, but hey, whats the harm in trying).

Some other important details:
Budget: 2k (including parking)
Type: 1 B 1 B + Car parking
Building type preference:
1. I want to be in downtown area.
2. Not really much into High rises, I love the ones where I can take out my dog fast, so ground floor is most preferred in small buildings.
3. Also, I am what a lot of people call here, very neighborly, so anything that has a neighborhood feeling would be great!
4. A building / apartment from where my dog gets to see people walking by would be perfect, he loves people-watching while I am working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The only dog park I know of is Wiggly Field in Lincoln Park. There's also a dog beach at Belmont Harbor along Lake Michigan in Lakeview. I don't have a dog, so others may be aware of other locations for these things. Given what you're looking for, I would imagine you can find a 1 bed 1 bath apt somewhere within a couple blocks of Diversey (border of Lakeview and Lincoln Park). This would give you access to Lake Michigan, the dog beach, dog parks, and many 2-3 store walkup apartments (typically only 2-3 units in building). Some will include parking, or you may be able to find a place that has no parking space but can search for people renting parking on the block or within a few buildings of where you live and still be under your $2k budget. More than likely you can find something with parking, though. I wouldn't say this is "downtown", although some people would. It's about a 15-20 20 minute EL ride from the Loop (central business district). To me, these areas have a neighborhood feel.

To be closer to downtown, you can look in Old Town or maybe the Gold Coast, but your chances of finding a smaller building or within your price range are less likely. I don't know much about these areas being as dog friendly. These areas feel less neighborly to me. Someone else can confirm.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:55 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times
1350 N Lakeshore Drive is a dog friendly apartment building in the Gold Coast but it would probably be more expensive than your budget allows for.

I echo the previous poster in saying that Lincoln Park and Lakeview are very good options for you. Anywhere along the lakeshore should give suffice for your nature request while also being within your budget.

Check out Lakeview East in particular. Up near the golf course Sydney R Marovitz there is a large completely wild bird sanctuary. The parks around there are very large and not busy, unlike Lincoln Park. Plus there is a small fenced in dog park around Addison and Lakeshore Drive and a doggie beach just south of there in Belmont Harbor.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:13 AM

93 posts, read 63,836 times
Lp

Old 12-14-2017, 09:17 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
1350 N Lakeshore Drive is a dog friendly apartment building in the Gold Coast but it would probably be more expensive than your budget allows for.

I echo the previous poster in saying that Lincoln Park and Lakeview are very good options for you. Anywhere along the lakeshore should give suffice for your nature request while also being within your budget.

Check out Lakeview East in particular. Up near the golf course Sydney R Marovitz there is a large completely wild bird sanctuary. The parks around there are very large and not busy, unlike Lincoln Park. Plus there is a small fenced in dog park around Addison and Lakeshore Drive and a doggie beach just south of there in Belmont Harbor.

Good suggestion.

One other piece to add, just southwest of the Belmont underpass of Lakeshore Drive in Lakeview there's a very large open field. While this is not technically a dog park, I'll often see people letting their dogs run around there, likely because it's not a designated sports field and has lots of opens space away from bike paths/sidewalks.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:32 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Good suggestion.

One other piece to add, just southwest of the Belmont underpass of Lakeshore Drive in Lakeview there's a very large open field. While this is not technically a dog park, I'll often see people letting their dogs run around there, likely because it's not a designated sports field and has lots of opens space away from bike paths/sidewalks.
Yes, agree to this. This is technically lakeview east as well and is right within the the same area I am suggesting. I see people with their dogs playing fetch all the time over there.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:07 PM

306 posts, read 365,033 times
Downtown + parking + small building? Not going to happen. I'd shoot for any neighborhood close to the lakefront.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:47 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Downtown + parking + small building? Not going to happen. I'd shoot for any neighborhood close to the lakefront.
OP probably doesn't know how we define "downtown" here. It's my impression that Atlanta is very different, so he may just mean he wants a city neighborhood.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:45 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
The only dog park I know of is Wiggly Field in Lincoln Park. There's also a dog beach at Belmont Harbor along Lake Michigan in Lakeview. I don't have a dog, so others may be aware of other locations for these things. Given what you're looking for, I would imagine you can find a 1 bed 1 bath apt somewhere within a couple blocks of Diversey (border of Lakeview and Lincoln Park). This would give you access to Lake Michigan, the dog beach, dog parks, and many 2-3 store walkup apartments (typically only 2-3 units in building). Some will include parking, or you may be able to find a place that has no parking space but can search for people renting parking on the block or within a few buildings of where you live and still be under your $2k budget. More than likely you can find something with parking, though. I wouldn't say this is "downtown", although some people would. It's about a 15-20 20 minute EL ride from the Loop (central business district). To me, these areas have a neighborhood feel.

To be closer to downtown, you can look in Old Town or maybe the Gold Coast, but your chances of finding a smaller building or within your price range are less likely. I don't know much about these areas being as dog friendly. These areas feel less neighborly to me. Someone else can confirm.
Montrose dog beach is much, much larger than the tiny one at Belmont. Not much farther north either!

Old 12-15-2017, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 5,204 times
Thanks everyone, I am going to go through all of the valuable info and research a bit more to come back with any questions I may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago