Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 11:42 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,410,638 times

Advertisements

There has been a long stereotype, especially on CD, that Chicagoans put down other Midwest cities to hype up Chicago. So, I'm curious, is it true or untrue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 11:43 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,550,171 times
Other than Indianapolis, no.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:49 AM

934 posts, read 1,428,966 times
I'm from another city in the Midwest, but have been living in Chicago for a few years. This hasn't been my experience at all. In fact, most Chicagoans I know talk positively about other Midwestern cities, though they usually visit for business, sports, or family and not too often for strictly tourism.

I honestly hear more about New York, California, or international locations coming up in random conversations on the street.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 8,425 times
A lot of people in Chicago are from a different midwestern city, so people who live here root for their former teams and then Chicago teams.

People who live in major cities are there for a reason and are focused on other major cities. There is no reason to put down another city, unless it asks for a review and has genuine real issues. Otherwise, people in Chicago have a lot to focus on in Chicago.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:58 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,753,138 times
The closest major city to Chicago, a mere 90 miles away, is Milwaukee. And putting down Milwaukee is not a Chicago thing. I think a good percentage of people in the Chicagoland area like having Milwaukee as a neighbor, appreciate and use what it has to offer.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:40 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,765,071 times
This kid has an obsession with the topic of Chicago putting down other Midwest cities. He posted about the exact same topic in September.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...own-other.html

Except, he was asking "why" Chicagoans put down other Midwest cities, not whether it is true or not. So I guess it is true..........

Old 12-23-2017, 09:22 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,410,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This kid has an obsession with the topic of Chicago putting down other Midwest cities. He posted about the exact same topic in September.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...own-other.html

Except, he was asking "why" Chicagoans put down other Midwest cities, not whether it is true or not. So I guess it is true..........
Not a kid, this thread is more of a curiosity kind of a deal. I hear people say that a lot on CD, so instead of being judgmental, I decided to go to the source: Chicagoans, so you can tell your side of it all. There's two sides to every story. Now, if you feel offended, I apologize.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:30 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,869,208 times
I think most people in the Chicago area are oblivious to other cities in the Midwest and never mention or think about them unless they are from there. I don't hear anyone talking about other Midwestern cities.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:32 PM

89 posts, read 139,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Other than Indianapolis, no.
Come on, what is wrong with Indy? I'm tired of people of crapping on Indy just for not being Chicago. And this comes from someone who lives in Indy and that loves Chicago.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,272,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
There has been a long stereotype, especially on CD, that Chicagoans put down other Midwest cities to hype up Chicago. So, I'm curious, is it true or untrue?
No it is not true, at least in my experience anyway. If anything I would say that when there are negative topics of discussion here it is typically 'us' discussing our own local, State, downstate, politics/politicos. Along with property taxes, taxes in general, huge pension liabilities, schools, education, traffic, etc., etc.

At one time we did have a gentleman from out of state who had, shall we say, a bad attitude about Chicago but I've not seen hide nor hair of him in a long time.

Other than that, no we have our own problems to concern ourselves with and do not think we are 'all that and a bag of chips' over other Midwestern cities...unless of course someone has had experience in those cities and they will then freely share those experiences.

But, 'put down', no, we don't. Just my experience, others may have a different point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago