Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 07:51 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I know several teachers that have relocated to places like Dallas and Atlanta. Less about crime and more about quality of living. More space. Milder winters. Cheaper cost living.

Crime in Black neighborhoods is at an all time low in most cities. Should not really be part of the conversation.
Did you know that with a population of only a 6th of Chicago's, Atlanta's crime rate is almost double Chicago's? And having lived in Atlanta, Dallas and now back in Chicago, I assure you Dallas and Atlanta are not cheaper, or even significantly cheaper than Chicago. I make more money in Chicago than I ever did in Dallas and Atlanta and my COL has remained almost the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 08:47 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Did you know that with a population of only a 6th of Chicago's, Atlanta's crime rate is almost double Chicago's? And having lived in Atlanta, Dallas and now back in Chicago, I assure you Dallas and Atlanta are not cheaper, or even significantly cheaper than Chicago. I make more money in Chicago than I ever did in Dallas and Atlanta and my COL has remained almost the same.
I don't pay attention to news figures. I like to get first hand experience in each place. Have never felt danger in any of the above cities. And I've also spent time in each one. Property taxes are much cheaper in Dallas and Atlanta than Chicago. If you are a renter, then you are correct in saying the cost of living is about the same.

But for homeowners its a completely different ballgame.

Save the crime numbers for another thread. They don't represent the city.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:54 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I don't pay attention to news figures. I like to get first hand experience in each place. Have never felt danger in any of the above cities. And I've also spent time in each one. Property taxes are much cheaper in Dallas and Atlanta than Chicago. If you are a renter, then you are correct in saying the cost of living is about the same.

But for homeowners its a completely different ballgame.

Save the crime numbers for another thread. They don't represent the city.
Whatever you say. I don't feel unsafe in Chicago at all and have never been a crime victim here. I was a crime victim in Atlanta though--more than once.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:49 PM

335 posts, read 334,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You still didn't let go of your baggage. If you're so happy ..... let go of Illinois blame, hate and anger. If it did you a favor getting you to move? Why hold onto rage yet?
Blame?? What am I blaming on who? Lol. Rage? Yes, so much rage. I have commented once in like 6 months. I looked and happened to see the broken record ONCE AGAIN posting about how horrible Atlanta is, and had to dispute his idiotic claims of it being so horrible and expensive it's so bad that it's one of the top metros for population growth

Now, while everyone rushes off to turn up their heat and prepay their 10k property tax bills by tomorrow, I'll enjoy 35 degrees and $3500 property taxes

Last edited by Taco1234; 12-30-2017 at 08:24 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 08:37 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Yup, not a place for me and I highly doubt I'll return. Don't worry though, it's not Only Chicago, I'm not a fan of urban areas the world over. My limit seems to be about a half-million total area population.

Meanwhile, I think I just saw that NYC, a city 4 times (or more) larger, has had less than half the murders of Chicago?

Even if the crime Isn't everywhere, who wants to be associated with the city that has the highest homicide rate in the country? That's just not something with which a sane person wants to be associated.

Sorry, I know some people hate it and feel stuck because they grew up there, have family there. But it's a Really hard sell for the rest of the country.... it's like saying you're going to move your kids to the SE for the public schools. Or Fairbanks, AK for their even and moderate climate.... But the bottom line is that it IS a part of why there's a ton of housing supply and very low demand. Not all (wow at those tax rates!), clearly, but to dismiss it is to cast into doubt the validity of your opinion.
Yes, everyone from Chicago would just love to move "Warm Springs, Georgia". What a wonderful move that would be.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:40 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Your an idiot who does not have the guts to answer a very simple question. All these people and all of the people reporting this are all wrong lol good luck with that kid
Stop trolling.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:46 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Yes, everyone from Chicago would just love to move "Warm Springs, Georgia". What a wonderful move that would be.
Well, I do love the sound of the banjo, lol.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
The fact that someone in Chicago is shot every 2 hours and 26 minutes, and murdered every 12 hours and 48 minutes probably has nothing to do with the low demand.
Watch the local TV news in Chicago. The shooting probably happened in a South Side neighborhood. Most Chicagolanders just write it off when that happens. (I know I did.)

It would be different if those type of shootings happened many times in The Loop, the Northside, or the North/West Suburbs. The National media is geographically challenged when converting local stories into the national spotlight.

After the San Antonio church shooting, the ABC reporter from the Los Angeles Bureau called New Braunfels a "small town". Apparently his Westside Los Angeles bubble jaded him since Texas has none of that dense sprawl and that "small town" is actually a major suburb and along the densest corridor on the spine of Texas (I-35).

Also why no coverage about I-65 in Indiana being a prime gun smuggling route directly to the South Side?

Old 01-03-2018, 06:09 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Stop trolling.
Stop fearing reality

Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
In reality if you remove a 4 square mile area on the south side that no one visits, Chicago is one of the safest big cities. I lived there for 10 years and never felt unsafe, heard a gunshot, or was a victim. Yet every night on the news I watched how violent and unsafe Chicago was. Not to mention most people live in the suburbs and work in the burbs or the loop. Both which have no violent crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago