Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,880 times

Advertisements

Millenials are the generation aged 18-36 right now.

If you are in this age range, please tell me what are the top 5 things you look for when buying a new home.

I am interested to see if Millenial preferences really are so different from other generations, regarding real estate.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 11:18 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,733 times
If I were you, I'd look at the surveys that have already been done on this subject rather than soliciting a few responses from a message board. Better to have a broad collection of hundreds of opinions carefully surveyed than a few responses here that may/may not be representative of an entire generational cohort of people.

The NAHB has done surveys. Here are a couple more:

http://www.builderonline.com/design/...-preferences_o

https://urbanland.uli.org/economy-ma...s-millennials/

Old 01-04-2018, 11:21 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,103,368 times
I'm a wierdo so take mine with a grain of salt...

1. Near a Dunkin Donuts I need my morning coffee.

2. Not a flip. I don't want to overpay for some new granite someone put in, I'd rather find something without granite and pick my own. Also many flippers cosmetically make things look very sharp but the workmanship is actually crap.

3. Yard and Upgrades, people who do a bunch of custom stuff be it crown molding, a hot tub, great landscaping, etc typically aren't going to see a return on that investment, the more custom the less return so if I can find something with raindrop showers, a hot tub, etc I'm basically getting something cool I would never otherwise pay for myself.

4. Yard, I prefer a house with a detached garage offset behind the house and some privacy for the yard.

5. Unique, I like a unique house basically something that's different

Old 01-04-2018, 11:42 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,947,006 times
The big question is do you like open floor plans? Most of the affordable, older homes that millennials could buy don't have open floor plans, but rather, defined rooms. This has led to flippers tearing out walls on potentially historic homes such as bungalows and bastardizing the floor plan to make it look more modern. The other style of home that is questionable is the split level or bi level. Personally always hated them preferring traditional two story houses. Of course I am not a millennial. It will be interesting to see if millennials bite on those.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:06 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Just recently bought a home. Was looking for a place that was:

1) Walkable to necessities (grocery store, pharmacy, dry cleaner) and to luxuries (coffee, restaurants, gym, waterfront)
2) Had decent amount of space, but was much smaller and more manageable than something like a McMansion
3) Minimized commute for me and my partner (we only have 1 car, and didn't want to get another)
4) Safe with a strong neighborhood feel
5) Access to green space, since most of the neighborhoods we targeted had properties that lacked any kind of yard

Some other things we considered were: historic charm, modern updates, curb appeal, tree-lined street, property taxes and general cost (obviously), wanting not to be house poor, etc.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:07 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The big question is do you like open floor plans? Most of the affordable, older homes that millennials could buy don't have open floor plans, but rather, defined rooms. This has led to flippers tearing out walls on potentially historic homes such as bungalows and bastardizing the floor plan to make it look more modern. The other style of home that is questionable is the split level or bi level. Personally always hated them preferring traditional two story houses. Of course I am not a millennial. It will be interesting to see if millennials bite on those.
The problem with split level, IMO, isn't the layout. You can do certain things to open them up a bit or provide better continuity through the home. The problem with split levels is that they tend to built in subdivisions of other split levels. Many of those houses are pushing 50-60 years old now and they weren't built as well as the pre War housing stock. So they're often in bad shape and the middle class families who own them have upgraded, leaving them in the hands of those further down the economic ladder. Which means the schools probably aren't as strong. Schools aren't a deal breaker for those who aren't interested in kids, but many of those types often want a walkable environment. And split level subdivisions built between 1960-75 aren't that.

Aging post War suburban housing in areas experiencing a decline in submarket status is the worst of all worlds.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:40 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,583,192 times
1. Neighborhood demographics. Far and away the deciding factor, especially for considering re-sale value.
2. Proximity to a train line. Express and regular buses are also factors.
3. Proximity to a grocery store, coffee shop, pub, boutique shops, dry cleaners, restaurants, theaters, and other neighborhood essentials/staples.
4. Updates within the last ten years. When I buy a new property, I want it ready to go.
5. Ease of parking. In case my situation changes and I need a car.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:35 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,185,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
The problem with split level, IMO, isn't the layout. You can do certain things to open them up a bit or provide better continuity through the home. The problem with split levels is that they tend to built in subdivisions of other split levels. Many of those houses are pushing 50-60 years old now and they weren't built as well as the pre War housing stock. So they're often in bad shape and the middle class families who own them have upgraded, leaving them in the hands of those further down the economic ladder. Which means the schools probably aren't as strong. Schools aren't a deal breaker for those who aren't interested in kids, but many of those types often want a walkable environment. And split level subdivisions built between 1960-75 aren't that.

Aging post War suburban housing in areas experiencing a decline in submarket status is the worst of all worlds.
It really depends on the town and if it's been updated. I've seen split levels listed in towns like Elmhurst, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, and Park Ridge that feed into good schools and are listed for well over $400k.

There's split levels in Naperville starting to get closer to that price range. The schools are good there as well.

On the other hand, many can be found in towns Niles or Oak Lawn, which may be more in line with what you're thinking.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:36 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,679,368 times
I'm in my mid-twenties.

1. I like being located within walking distance to a major grocery store.
2. Neighborhood has to be walkable. I'll overpay on a home if it's in a more walkable area.
3. Small driveway. Garage would be nice but not an absolutely necessity.
4. Bathrooms need to have FULL showers. Not those dinky showers you can barely fit in.
5. Central air. Non-negotiable.
6. Big windows. I need sunlight.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:49 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Here's what I'm looking for. No idea if I'll end up buying a house in a city area or in a suburb or rural area. Obviously things like being in a safe neighborhood are a given, so I'm not including that here.

1) NO CARPET (although I could probably deal with it in the bedrooms for a while)
2) Driveway, carport, or garage
3) Move in ready. It doesn't have to be super modern or up to date. I just don't want to be doing electrical work or plumbing right after moving in.
4) I'd prefer that the master bathroom has a walk-in shower. Never use a bathtub, but it would be nice to have in a guest bathroom.
5) Gas stove
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago