Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 7,248 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving to Chicago in few weeks for a new job and I am planning to commute to Deerfield on Metra.
I'd like to live in the city and don't like to drive (I have a car).
So, It seems like living near Union Station and taking Metra (MD-N) to Lake Cook station would be the best way to commute to Deerfield

How is living in or around Union Station? (In terms of Restaurants, Crime and access to other parts of the city).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 01:43 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingtype View Post
Hi all,

I am moving to Chicago in few weeks for a new job and I am planning to commute to Deerfield on Metra.
I'd like to live in the city and don't like to drive (I have a car).
So, It seems like living near Union Station and taking Metra (MD-N) to Lake Cook station would be the best way to commute to Deerfield

How is living in or around Union Station? (In terms of Restaurants, Crime and access to other parts of the city).
I have not lived around there, but I would guess it depends how close to Union Station. The block immediately around the station is a bit boring. If you're on Des Plaines or Clinton it's a bit better. Just across the highway is the West Loop, which has plenty of restaurants and what not and is very walkable and feels a bit more like a neighborhood. It's probably best if you take a little time to walk or drive around before committing to a lease if you can afford that from a time standpoint.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:08 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Something else to consider is that you'll be reverse commuting. There are fewer trains. Does your employer offer a shuttle from the train? Unless they do, it could be a little tough getting to work.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I have not lived around there, but I would guess it depends how close to Union Station. The block immediately around the station is a bit boring. If you're on Des Plaines or Clinton it's a bit better. Just across the highway is the West Loop, which has plenty of restaurants and what not and is very walkable and feels a bit more like a neighborhood. It's probably best if you take a little time to walk or drive around before committing to a lease if you can afford that from a time standpoint.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Something else to consider is that you'll be reverse commuting. There are fewer trains. Does your employer offer a shuttle from the train? Unless they do, it could be a little tough getting to work.
Thanks. Yes, there are shuttle/buses to and from the station.
If I live 1-2 blocks from the Union station, It will be around 1 hour commute each way!

Old 01-11-2018, 11:39 AM

57 posts, read 63,838 times
I live near there and love the reverse commute. Train time = work time. There are always seats.

Then again it helps that my office is right off a Metra station. if I had to connect from there I probably wouldn't do it. Too much wasted time with connections

Old 01-29-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertonesx24 View Post
I live near there and love the reverse commute. Train time = work time. There are always seats.

Then again it helps that my office is right off a Metra station. if I had to connect from there I probably wouldn't do it. Too much wasted time with connections
Thanks!
Do you take Metra (MD-N)? Is it reliable?

Old 01-29-2018, 09:05 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Do you take Metra (MD-N)? Is it reliable?
Metra is EXTREMELY reliable.

Fortunately is this laptop era you will be able to turn most of your commute time into work time.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Metra is EXTREMELY reliable.

Fortunately is this laptop era you will be able to turn most of your commute time into work time.
Thank you. How is the WiFi connectivity on the train?

Old 02-03-2018, 05:42 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Thank you. How is the WiFi connectivity on the train?
That's the drawback. Only a few trains have any WiFi, and it's slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago