Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 39,282 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for any feedback you think would be relevant...

My husband and I are moving back to Chicago in a couple months after being gone for almost 3 years (We've been in Nashville and currently, Minneapolis). We're looking to buy in either Logan Square or Rogers Park.

Here are a few things we're taking into consideration:
-We'll have one car, mainly for my husband's use to get into work
-He'll be working in Oakbrook Terrace, but will only have to be in the office 2-3 days a week (but that'd be a bad commute from RP)
-He also travels frequently, so easy access to ORD & MDW is also desirable
-I will be involved in the theater scene (which means late nights, odd hours), and have a part-time job, restaurant/retail/temping, etc. (The majority of theaters are located on the north side, so access to the redline would be nice for me)
-We're 28, and have no kids, although we may want to have one in the next 5 years
-We want to be close to an L stop (within 5 blocks, tops)
-It would be nice to be able to walk to a restaurant or bar or cafe from our home
-I'd like to feel a sense of community where ever we end up.

My thoughts...
*On the surface, RP seems more convenient for me, and LS for my husband (but he'll have a car, and I'll be traveling CTA at night)
*RP has the Lake (and I hear a great beach), is between two universities, isn't far from Wrigley. BUT it's really far from the Loop.
*LS is closer to the Loop, and seems to have more things to do in the immediate area.
*I'm not really crazy about any of the places in our price range in LS, it seems a little overpriced. But, it's much more in our range than other areas.
*I AM crazy about a condo I found in RP. It's absolutely perfect... except I'm not sure about the area (on Greenleaf, between Paulina & Ashland)

Also, I think I've read every thread on here thats relevant to me (and lots on other sites, too!), and it generally seems like more people are saying nicer things about LS than RP... but that could be related to the higher prices in LS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 11:34 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
What's your price range? Will schools be an issue for you (in the future)?

Given the geographic constraints for your husband, you may also want to consider Oak Park.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 AM

We'd like to keep it under $280k.

If we have kids, school would certainly be an issue. We were both privately schooled, so may do that, unless there was a very good public school in the area. Of course, it would probably be about 7-10 years before the theoretical child entered the school system, so it wouldn't be out of the question to move neighborhoods at that time.

Oak Park would probably be good for him. But I think it would be a pretty bad location for me. I imagine coming home from rehearsals late at night from North Chicago would be pretty rough.

Plus, we really don't want to go to the suburbs...

Old 03-21-2008, 01:38 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Whatcha hoping to get for that 280? 1 bedroom condo? 3 bedroom SFH?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Ideally, a 2 bed + den or 3 bed. (we could go just over 300K for the perfect place, but we'd prefer not to.) I'm coming into town next week to look at several places. I'm hoping that a unit (or area) really stands out.

When I was in Chicago 3 years ago, I really never went into LS or RP, so I'm just not that familiar with the areas. We rented in the goldcoast and near old town, and mostly hung out in those areas up through Wrigley.

I was in town a month ago and walked around Logan Square a bit (day & night). Walked down the street of one of the units I was interested in. Popped into a cafe. Used the LS blue line. It all seemed fine to me. Since that last visit, we've been considering Rogers Park as well, so I'll be visiting it next week when I'm in town.

How would you compare Rogers Park and Logan Square?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,407 times
Default Rogers Park is more practical

Lots of younger people are moving to Logan Square because it is close to super-expensive Bucktown. Definitely a young scene in Bucktown. sort of like the Village was in New York when living in a big city was a new idea.

I grew up near Logan Square and I love that area, but we live in Rogers Park now because it is both very urbane and very low key. No yuppie hype and NO wannabes. So you can figure things out here and then get creative, once you find a neighborhood you really like.

Rogers Park has a couple of neighborhood beaches with no public parking, and those are really nice. The red line is great for everything. Going to O'Hare is hard, but if you keep off the expressway, it not horrible, just far Or, you can transfer from the red line and take the train to Midway. Also a long trek, but dont' need a car and is it dependable, whenever.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 21,047 times
Here are a few things we're taking into consideration:
-We'll have one car, mainly for my husband's use to get into work
-He'll be working in Oakbrook Terrace, but will only have to be in the office 2-3 days a week (but that'd be a bad commute from RP)
-He also travels frequently, so easy access to ORD & MDW is also desirable
-I will be involved in the theater scene (which means late nights, odd hours), and have a part-time job, restaurant/retail/temping, etc. (The majority of theaters are located on the north side, so access to the redline would be nice for me)

It sounds like transportation will be pretty important for you guys, so I would take a look at the area around Damen/North in Wicker Park/Bucktown. It's generally expensive, but you may be able to get a vintage rehab there in your price range, and with the market the way it is now, you have a good chance of getting a bargain.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
[quote=Peter Fugiel;3213699]No yuppie hype and NO wannabes. quote]

What's this mean? Just curious.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:46 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default yuppie hype and wannabes

Leniel,

In Logan, you have a lot of aspiring yuppies who desire to be like their neighbors to the east in bucktown and wicker park and even lincoln park and lakeview.

Most are puerto ricans. Some are white. They grew up with modest means, graduated high school, some college or university and now are working their way up the socio-economic ladder. Many go to hang out with other yuppie hispanics at places like national and green dolphin (still some ghetto on saturdays but not as much on fridays).

They often look down on other hispanics, particularly mexicans and other puerto ricans who are less educated and don't have well paying jobs. It is almost as if they would rather forget where they came from. I know this well as I go to church with a number of puerto ricans in logan.

My german ancestors may have seen the irish in the same light when they first arrived in this country, taking jobs, etc.

And by hype people in logan often will tell you things are more yuppified than they reaaly are, especially in the western portion. Gangs are still out in force, though it is certainly better than say 10 years ago.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:06 AM

thanks everyone, for all the input! We've decided on Logan Square. The commute from RP to Oakbrook Terrace was just too much to deal with, and I ended up finding a great condo in Logan Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago