Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Are there plans to further expand the riverwalk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 09:47 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
the plans from what i can tell are in a number of different locations and I'm haven't read anything about the extension going southward from the western terminal at the start of the south branch around Wacker and Lake. Nor have I seen any plans for extending it eastward from Michigan Avenue to the lake....but that this is going to happen seems like a no brainer. The infrastructure of a walk already in place and the strategic importance of this stretch make this one a sure bet.

Other than that....even though not connected to the existing river walk, i have seen renderings of how an extension might look along the western shore of the Loop.....mainly ones that show what it would look like around the Civic Opera building.

In the South Loop, the already under construction Riverline not only will have a riverwalk, but it is marquee and central highlight of the project. Further down and even more massive if it gets built also obviously has included a river walk into its plans. The project is so big that it touts itself as a new neighborhood, the 78th in the city. Thus named The 78, it stretches, I believe, down to Roosevelt Road.

The riverfront is currently the hottest place for development in the downtown area, including a number (like Sterling Bay's 78) which are also quite large and are potential sites for Amazon (which, I realize, will probably not happen). they each contain a riverwalk section...like the plans around the Trib's Freedom Center/Goose Island. Not part of any Amazon planning, I've seen other renderings of the redeveloped old post office....again with riverwalk.

There is talk of extending the 606 across the Kennedy which would link up with Metra's Clybourn station, then cross the river into another development area where the river walk would line the banks (I believe on both sides)

I'm not sure this constitutes a true river walk, but leaving the greater downtown area and heading into the hear of the North Side is a park plan, somewhat akin to the 606 (although in this case with water) that would carry bike/ped usage not only along the river, but in sections actually suspended above it.

I don't think I even got it all. Maybe others can mention additional plans or even correct anything where I might be off base (and I certainly won't be the least big upset if anyone does)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago