Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 06:01 PM

528 posts, read 711,162 times

Advertisements

My tenant wants to sublease to move out somewhere cheaper with roommates. The lease he signed with me does not allow subleasing . It is a boilerplate lease I dowloaded from the Internet. My understanding is that Chicago says any tenant has the right to sublease? Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 06:25 PM

846 posts, read 1,399,997 times
Here's the Chicago Resident Landlord Tenant Ordinance on sub-leasing. As a landlord, I would think you'd be aware of this, but here you go at any rate.

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Illinois/chicago_il/title5housingandeconomicdevelopment/chapter5-12residentiallandlordsandtenant?f=templates$fn=def ault.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:chicago_il

Bookmark5-12-120 Subleases.
If the tenant terminates the rental agreement prior to its expiration date, except for cause authorized by this chapter, the landlord shall make a good faith effort to re-rent the tenant's dwelling unit at a fair rental, which shall be the rent charged for comparable dwelling units in the premises or in the same neighborhood. The landlord shall accept a reasonable sublease proposed by the tenant without an assessment of additional fees or charges.
If the landlord succeeds in re-renting the dwelling unit at a fair rental, the tenant shall be liable for the amount by which the rent due from the date of premature termination to the termination of the initial rental agreement exceeds the fair rental subsequently received by the landlord from the date of premature termination to the termination of the initial rental agreement.
If the landlord makes a good-faith effort to re-rent the dwelling unit at a fair rental and is unsuccessful, the tenant shall be liable for the rent due for the period of the rental agreement. The tenant shall also be liable for the reasonable advertising costs incurred by the landlord in seeking to re-rent the dwelling unit.
(Prior code § 193.1-12; Added Coun. J. 9-8-86, p. 33771; Amend Coun. J. 11-6-91, p. 7196)

Old 02-04-2018, 06:50 PM

So looks like I have to let him sublease as long as he provides me with a tenant as good or better than him.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:00 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
So looks like I have to let him sublease as long as he provides me with a tenant as good or better than him.
I don't think you're required to let him *sublease*, you're just required to let him out of *his* lease while you write a new lease for the replacement tenant. That's been my understanding. Most landlords I've had didn't allow subleasing, but would write a new lease for a provided tenant. The more professional the landlord or manager(s), the more likely they are to just write a new lease and allow you to terminate your lease with no penalty. Small-time landlords may deal with subleases, but most professional managers don't want to deal with it.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:16 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
I would say even a tenant less as good as the existing one too... Chicago laws very much favor the tenant over the landlord so be cautious denying anybody who is qualified should you choose to require him to find you a subletter. If you're that concerned, just find your own renter. (Sorry this happened to you!)

Old 02-05-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I don't think you're required to let him *sublease*, you're just required to let him out of *his* lease while you write a new lease for the replacement tenant. That's been my understanding. Most landlords I've had didn't allow subleasing, but would write a new lease for a provided tenant. The more professional the landlord or manager(s), the more likely they are to just write a new lease and allow you to terminate your lease with no penalty. Small-time landlords may deal with subleases, but most professional managers don't want to deal with it.
I believe subleasing offers me more protection since the original tenant is still responsible for paying the rent if the new tenant doesn't.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
If you're that concerned, just find your own renter. (Sorry this happened to you!)
That would make things too easy.. My hope is this tenant abandons the idea of moving out once he realizes how hard it is to find quality tenants.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:09 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
I believe subleasing offers me more protection since the original tenant is still responsible for paying the rent if the new tenant doesn't.
Idk...I know nothing about this but that sounds too risky for me. Even though he is required to pay the rent if his tenant is not, you will be ultimately responsible if neither one of them pay the rent. You are just dealing with too many variables.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:16 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Quote:
Yeah, but the way the law is written, you don't have that choice - your tenant does. If your tenant is smart he won't take a sublease unless he loves the space so much he wants an easy option back into it.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:22 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
Quote:
My tenant wants to sublease to move out somewhere cheaper with roommates. The lease he signed with me does not allow subleasing . It is a boilerplate lease I dowloaded from the Internet. My understanding is that Chicago says any tenant has the right to sublease? Is that correct?
No, the tenant does not have an automatic right to sub-lease and you are not required to accept the sub-lessor. You would only be in that better position of being able to go after two different folks for the rent if you had signed an agreement with the sub-lessor. That is, signing on with a stranger; otherwise technically known as: "shooting oneself in the foot".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: