Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 10:07 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times

Advertisements

If you enjoy 5 months of winter, followed by lake breeze season/no spring, increasingly wet/humid summers, pollution, high taxes, and political corruption; Chicago is for you.

My cousin moved to Portland 25 years ago, and never looked back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 12:54 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
If you enjoy 5 months of winter, followed by lake breeze season/no spring, increasingly wet/humid summers, pollution, high taxes, and political corruption; Chicago is for you.

My cousin moved to Portland 25 years ago, and never looked back.
Is there another Chicago somewhere on this planet? Cus that doesn't sound like this Chicago.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:32 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Is there another Chicago somewhere on this planet?
Are you residing in it?
Been here 40 years, I see no inaccuracy in my assessment.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:54 PM

50 posts, read 47,367 times
Sure you lose the nature, but the lake is beautiful especially with the skyline in the background (beaches are the best in the summer). Yeah Chicago has a stable housing market and is the best bargain in North America but politics make people wanna leave and settle somewhere else

Old 02-11-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Are you residing in it?
Been here 40 years, I see no inaccuracy in my assessment.
5 months of winter? No spring? Do you have Alzheimer? Forgetting reality?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:55 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,940,787 times
Quote:
Is there another Chicago somewhere on this planet? Cus that doesn't sound like this Chicago.
High Taxes, corruption and long winters are correct. He got half of it right.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:27 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPlanning View Post
I have lived in Portland before (Alphabet District) and Seattle (Capital Hill), but never lived in Chicago. Rent in trendy areas of Portland and Chicago seem similar from looking at online listings and buying a condo seems much more expensive in Portland from Redfin listings. I work in Accounting and can transfer to either of these cities. I would prefer Seattle over Portland, but currently Portland is the only option from my company for transfer in PNW. Plus Seattle COL is too close to coastal California nowadays. My fear is that there might be housing bubble in Portland and once the Portlandia trend dies out and Silicon Valley tech slows, the economy and housing there could crash. Chicago seems to have a more diversified economy and housing is still below the 2006-07 peak levels?

Anymore with experience living in Portland or Seattle and Chicago? My salary would probably be same in both places, but I am sure if I were to switch job I would have much more options in Chicago for my field. Is the winter weather in Chicago much colder but less gloomy compared to PNW?
Make sure you're checking the HOA fees... I'd venture to guess they are overall higher in Chicago than Portland, and they do make a difference. Also, taxes.

Chicago is colder and snowier and sunnier than Seattle in the winter (and probably Portland). You can't really do much outside in the winter in terms of outdoor activities in Chicago.... then again in Seattle many people stay in due to the rain as well.

Chicago is a bigger, rougher city than either Seattle or Portland. It's better and worse in a lot of ways. Nightlife, food, public transportation, all of that is superior in Chicago. Dating for guys is categorically better in Chicago.

Crime, weather (imo), taxes are worse in Chicago. That being said, if you land in the north, central, or near west neighborhoods, you will likely have zero issues with crime.

Summers in Chicago and Seattle are both amazing, but I give the nod to Chicago in terms of things to do and just the overall vibe. I'd love to own a summer residence there.

Also... you don't have the Cascades or anything like it in or around Chicago but you do have an enormous lake with beautiful national parks on either side. Southwest/Central-West Michigan in particular offers tons of outdoor opportunities in the summer and fall, if you want to get your nature fix away from the city. No mountains, but lots of sand dunes and coastlines. And pristine waters in Michigan that you can actually swim in unlike the perpetually frigid northern Pacific (though Washington does have tons of beautiful, crystal clear lakes as well).

Old 02-11-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
High Taxes, corruption and long winters are correct. He got half of it right.
I think seattle has high taxes too.
Long winters?
Eh. The Canada bordering places have a longer winter.
And the gloom is longer in Seattle.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Long winters?
Yes, this is a good point. December-March IMO is better in Seattle, but October, April and May I do prefer in Chicago. June-September is a toss up. Seattle is dry and very sunny and probably has better weather technically being less humid, but it doesn't often get uncomfortably hot in Chicago. Seattle lately has been getting into the 90s in the summer with smoke due to yearly wildfires in British Columbia and elsewhere.

The clouds roll into Seattle in October and tend to sit there until June. You do have some sunny days here and there but it's the exception to the rule. Spring weather can be volatile in Chicago but you are always guaranteed to have bountiful sunny days. And I also do enjoy thunderstorms which are rare in the PNW.

ETA: Seattle taxes - no comparison to Chicago. Sales tax is 10% so on par with Chicago, but property taxes are much lower here. And Washington has no state income tax. Oregon, conversely, has a super high income tax but no sales tax. I'm not sure what the property taxes are like there.

Last edited by Bluefox; 02-11-2018 at 09:12 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Quote:
Long winters?
Yeah, different strokes for different folks I guess. I was watching the weather today, NBC I believe, and they were bitchin about the snow and commenting that viewers have had enough and asking when will all this be over? I was thinking, what the hell is wrong with these people, this snow is awesome! It's like a winter wonderland here. Jeez, What a bunch of Negative Nancy's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago