Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:38 PM

846 posts, read 1,391,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I was at Michigan and Roosevelt. The Scout was the only bar near me that I would consider a "going out bar". There's no lively strip of bars/restaurants in South Loop like River North, Gold Coast, Old Town, LP, Wicker Park, and Wrigleyville. More of a sleepy feel of a bar here...restaurant there. Printers Row might be an exception but it's still nowhere near as lively as up north. Yes I was very close to El and tons of grocery stores and the stores / movie theater down Roosevelt but you're more likely to drive up/down Roosevelt and anywhere south of Roosevelt than casually stroll through a neighborhood like up north. And I love to walk and take public transportation....but I think others would agree that South Loop is sleepy and just starting to wake up.
I am happy for you and happy you do not live here anymore. When the heck did you leave? I can get sloppy drunk within walking distance to my apartment, if that's your thing. I currently live in South Loop and can speak to how awesome it is currently. We also won that Curbed neighborhood competition this year. Like I said, cheers.

Restaurants/Bars that I can think of off the top of my head
Bulldog Ale House
Flo & Santos
Lobo Ray
Vice Brewery
Pazzos
Sofi
Umai
Half Sour
Firehouse
Buddy Guys
Low County
Mac Kellys
Kaceys
Lou's
Eleven City Diner
DMK Burger Bar
Flacos
Gino's East
Hax
Sociale
First Draft
Villians
Mago
Nano's
Pork
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 02:00 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,116,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
How noisy are the downtown core neighborhoods during the night? I’d love to move downtown but I’m concerned about potentially routinely being woken up by people, cars, trains, buses, construction, etc, especially since I’m a light sleeper. I’m curious about the following neighborhoods:

The Gold Coast
River North
Streeterville
The Loop

Thanks!
It varies a lot. Really, specific buildings can be in really noisy areas, or really quiet areas. And then it also depends a lot on the building itself, and sometimes even specific units. A given building might be in a quiet area, and have good soundproofing, but maybe a unit happens to be next to some mechanicals that aren't sound-insulated very well. I live in an area that's relatively noisy, but my building is brick, and my unit has two feet of brick between me and other units so the bedrooms are actually very quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: