Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 12:37 PM

7 posts, read 17,635 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've been away from Chicago for about a decade and am finally heading back to settle down with the fam.

I have been offered at job at the University of Chicago, which is an absolute dream. The problem is, I have no interest living nearby.

My family has gradually moved away from the city and now reside in Plainfield, Naperville, Orland Park, Des Plaines and Chesterton, IN respectively. We have a very young one and want to be fairly close to any one of these locations (within 5-10 miles).

That all said, I know the drive to U of C from any of these locations would be a nightmare. I would love to utilize Metra and/or the L or buses if possible. Growing up in Brookfield, I pretty much only took the BNSF line downtown and occasionally the L to another part of the city. It has been a while though and I'm curious as to the thoughts of those on this Board on any ideal scenarios you could see in the burbs or NW Indiana where public transportation could be utilized most days to get to U of C. I'm fine driving to a train station as well.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 02:25 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danola View Post
That all said, I know the drive to U of C from any of these locations would be a nightmare. I would love to utilize Metra and/or the L or buses if possible. Growing up in Brookfield, I pretty much only took the BNSF line downtown and occasionally the L to another part of the city. It has been a while though and I'm curious as to the thoughts of those on this Board on any ideal scenarios you could see in the burbs or NW Indiana where public transportation could be utilized most days to get to U of C. I'm fine driving to a train station as well.
The only Metra line going past U of C is the Metra Electric. It even has its own station: 59th St. Although you might be better off stopping at 57th St. and walking two extra blocks; the 59th St. station is kind of dingy. However, the real catch is that most suburbs along the Metra Electric line range from "meh" to "hell no". The only exceptions to the above are Homewood, Flossmoor, and maybe Olympia Fields. You can also live in Northwest Indiana, and ride the South Shore Line (NICTD) to U of C; it stops at 57th St., which it shares with Metra.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-19-2018 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 02:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Technically the South Shore line, which is NOT a Metra service, but is run by a separate Indiana based agency, NICTD also has direct public transportation to Hyde Park / UofC. There is a stop called "Dune Park" that is convenient to Chesterton -- https://goo.gl/maps/eEgWPECTMXQ2

The UofC has an app that that shows the various connections to CTA and University run shuttles -- UChicago There are options for carpools too https://safety-security.uchicago.edu/transportation/
It is more common for folks from the 'burbs to drive to the campus, but transit connections are pretty good if a little less than swift...

Old 03-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Thank you both. NW Indiana has been on my radar from the get-go as a logical solution. Appreciate your input!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:52 PM

143 posts, read 217,719 times
BIL also works at the University of Chicago and recently moved to Highland, Indiana after he became tired of renting a tiny studio apartment in the city for the past 3 years. I believe he said his commute is around 45 minutes. He prefers driving into the city, but there is the option of using the South Shore train line as well. A plus of the South Shore is that a majority of the stations offer free parking, whereas at most of the Metra stations parking is an additional cost. I do also like Orland Park and Naperville, but they are much more expensive than anywhere in NW Indiana due to higher taxes.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:56 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danola View Post
=
My family has gradually moved away from the city and now reside in Plainfield, Naperville, Orland Park, Des Plaines and Chesterton, IN respectively. We have a very young one and want to be fairly close to any one of these locations (within 5-10 miles).
It would be very doable from Chesterton, slightly less so from Orland, and practically a nightmare from any of the others, IMO.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:34 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
It would be very doable from Chesterton, slightly less so from Orland, and practically a nightmare from any of the others, IMO.
It may also be worth considering Tinley Park. It has easier highway access to I-80 (or take 159th to I-57) than Orland Park.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 592 times
What about combining the CTA 192 express bus with the BNSF line? I know a few people who are fine with doing that commute.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 AM

Tinley is definitely in the mix fusillirob - close enough to OP and a decent commute.

And thanks for that suggestion warburton. The ideal situation would to be on the BNSF line as I have family and friends in Berwyn, Brookfield, La Grange, DG and Naperville...so basically a quarter of the of the BNSF stops! I'll cross ref the BNSF and 192 routes to see if there's a good travel window.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:38 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
another option, aside from the Metra Electric, is the #2 Bus (Hyde Park Express). it runs during rush hours and goes from downtown to the campus on Lake Shore Drive. once you hit the drive, it moves very fast.

in theory, you could take the BNSF downtown, walk to State Street, and pick it up there.

CTA Bus #2 Hyde Park Express - Route Information

edit: i see the 192 route was also mentioned. its similar to the #2 except it looks like the 192 departs directly from union station, which would be more ideal than the #2 (state street). just keep in mind youd need both a metra pass, and a CTA pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago