Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 03:36 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,341,571 times

Advertisements

Just move to River North
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 09:31 AM

410 posts, read 629,209 times
Roosevelt is fine. I know grad students in the area right now.

With that said DePaul students much prefer living up north in Lincoln Park or Lakeview. I’m from DePaul myself and lived in the dorms my first year. The following years I was up by the Sheridan red line. These neighborhoods are by and large safe.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:05 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,636,950 times
The only reason it's a little sketchy is because it's a transfer station from the green and orange lines to the red line. I wouldn't say the station is unsafe, but there certainly are some seedy characters there at times.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:35 PM

1,080 posts, read 825,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
With that said DePaul students much prefer living up north in Lincoln Park or Lakeview.
The OP stated that the student is going to be at DePaul's Loop campus, not the main campus in Lincoln Park. Living in South Loop would make far more sense than LP or LV in terms of commute time.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:42 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,431,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Wow, you people are afraid of Roosevelt and State St? Are you also afraid of things that go bump in the night?
It's not the actual location that's the problem, it's that it is a major L transfer stop, which has the potential to bring in people who might commit crime.

Another good example is the Belmont stop, which is in a very nice neighborhood, but the stop has the 7th highest violent crime rates of all stops in the system, because it is a major transfer stop.

Personally if I was a woman I would consider avoiding the Roosevelt stop late at night. I know you're an internet tough guy who is not afraid of anything, but different people desire different levels of safety, and that's nothing to be scoffed at.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:35 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
The Belmont stop has the 7th highest violent crime rate, but it's also the 7th most used station. It's also sandwiched between Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville and directly next to Boystown so it sees a huge number of drunks and people there late at night. I've lived near it for years and years now, and even at almost 40 years old using it at night all the time I don't worry about going there.

Not saying you shouldn't always be vigilant, but I wouldn't put too much stock into worrying about a place just because there's an L station nearby.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:47 PM

504 posts, read 487,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The Belmont stop has the 7th highest violent crime rate, but it's also the 7th most used station. It's also sandwiched between Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville and directly next to Boystown so it sees a huge number of drunks and people there late at night. I've lived near it for years and years now, and even at almost 40 years old using it at night all the time I don't worry about going there.

Not saying you shouldn't always be vigilant, but I wouldn't put too much stock into worrying about a place just because there's an L station nearby.
Honestly, I wouldn't be worried about being at any L station at night. I've been to a lot in some of the worst parts of Chicago (West Garfield Park, Austin, Washington Park, North Lawndale) and never felt unsafe.

I think the only thing that should scare you is walking around the area a few blocks from a station, and even then, it is just a probability of an issue occurring that is likely low. When I used to go into Austin a decade ago to buy alcohol and drugs, it didn't feel unsafe even when I was robbed. I'm now realizing that my perception may be slightly off.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:12 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,953,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
When I used to go into Austin a decade ago to buy alcohol and drugs, it didn't feel unsafe even when I was robbed. I'm now realizing that my perception may be slightly off.
You think?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,840,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
When I used to go into Austin a decade ago to buy alcohol and drugs, it didn't feel unsafe even when I was robbed. I'm now realizing that my perception may be slightly off.
I'm laughing so hard at this.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 PM

549 posts, read 1,552,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PakYuk View Post
I'll go to DePaul (Loop campus) this fall and look for apartments/ neighborhood recommendations. So far I checked some buildings around Roosevelt station and wanna know if it's a safe area for me(female) to get back alone during the night since my classes won't be finished until 9:00 pm. My budget for a studio/convertible is around $1700 (I don't have any pets or car). Is this a reasonable budget? Or should I consider raising my budget to $2000 and looking in the River North area? I heard the south part of Chicago is quite dangerous I just don't know if South Loop is part of that "South." To be honest, looking the crime rates is quite concerning. So I wanna hear some local advice. Thanks in advance!
I lived at 11th and Wabash for several years. The Roosevelt L stop is always busy because it is a major transfer point from Midway Airport, but it can also attract a few weird individuals, I think, because of the transfers. That said, it's in a highly gentrified area, now very close to Trader Joe's and one of the best delis in all of Chicago (Eleven City Diner) and I never had a problem in the years that I was there and using it frequently. I suppose if I were female I'd be a little hesitant at night, but you could say that about any of the L stops. They aren't actively unsafe, it's just they're a little more quiet at night.

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2020 at 03:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago