Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 10:20 AM

796 posts, read 918,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Historically, this goes way back. The Cubs were on WGN before most people had cable. Their games were on TV every day, while we had to watch the occasional Sox game through static on old Channel 44. This went on for years, so as kids watched games after school, it was the Cubs. It was easy.

Those kids are now adults. Also, Wrigley Field is a unique experience in a very nice neighborhood. Sox Park is off on an expressway with some sketchy spots nearby. While Bridgeport is a decent neighborhood, it's working class, not full of a ton of bars, etc. And until a few years ago, there were projects a few blocks away.

Fast forward to now. Games are super expensive to attend. Sox fans, on average, come from more working class areas of the city, and don't have the same disposable income. At Wrigley, trixies and Chads can buy the ticket and a bunch of $9 beers and have a great time. That's a real dent in a lot of Sox fans paychecks, and given the history mentioned above, the base was smaller from the start.

Winning helps, obviously. But the Sox attendance will never hit the level of Cubs attendance, even with a perennial winning team (which may be coming here pretty soon). It will increase, maybe reach the top 10, but never top 5.

And Sox Park is actually pretty nice now. When they first built it, the things was terrible. But they've softened the park a lot, have tons of kids activities (more than Wrigley), clean bathrooms, etc. It's a nice ballpark now. That's not it.
I agree with some of this, but sox tickets can be had very cheap. and I've been to a few games where the food was very affordable. one time they had $1 hot dogs which is unheard of anywhere.

I haven't been to wrigley since it's been renovated, but going to us cellular has always been an easier experience. parking is not an issue, and the stadium has wide concourses and the seating is far more comfortable.

as for the bar scene, I didn't even care since the last time I went, we went under the stadium where u could eat and drink as much as u want for 2 hours prior to the game included in the ticket price.

not a huge baseball fan. I watched the cubs growing up, but going to see the sox is a better experience to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 11:13 AM

4,848 posts, read 2,959,436 times
Fire sales always kill attendance, no matter the team.
But the real question remains, will JR spend the $$ to acquire those few FA's needed to round out a competitive roster. They are following the Cubs blueprint, will they finish the job?.
One would hope so after unloading payroll.

A crosstown WS would be great.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:59 AM

459 posts, read 470,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Sox are in the beginning of a massive rebuild. It will take another 2 years probably for them to be good. But then, watch out. 2020 will begin a great era for Sox baseball, hopefully.

The Bulls are also rebuilding, and some early signs show that it might be starting to work. They were tanking this year, and they will get a stud in the draft, maybe even two. The Bulls will win more games next year. Their rookie Markkanen is the real deal. But really, with Golden State, Houston and LeBron out there, the Bulls have no shot at an NBA title for awhile. I do expect them to work their way back into the playoffs in 1-2 years, but until they break up those superteams, they'll have a ceiling.

The Bears are not a lost cause. They just spent a ton of money on several big free agents that will instantly improve their team. With such as young QB, it will take a bit of time, but they've made some big strides this offseason and I expect them to be a lot better.

All three of those teams (Sox/Bears/Bulls) are in this bad stretch, but I believe all three are temporary. The Bulls, to me, are in the worst position of the three to have meaningful improvement.

The Blackhawks, however, are on the wrong side of things. Their era of dominance is over. But geez, man, they just won THREE Stanley cups in the last what, 8 years? What more do you want?
I don't expect the Blackhawks to win every year, but they were horrible, not even competing this year. Spending money doesn't mean you'll win obviously. Cubs just lost again, this time to the Braves 4 to 0. Braves do look fairly decent this year. Packers seem to compete yearly. Why can't the bears do this? Packers organization is simply flat out better than the bears organization from top to bottom. Not expecting miracles, but you do expect one of the teams to be competitive on a professional level. Could be we will go through a dry spell for next X amount of years too.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:58 PM

4,848 posts, read 2,959,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Why can't the bears do this? Packers organization is simply flat out better than the bears organization from top to bottom.
McCaskey's are too cheap to retain talent, always have been.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:49 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,127,929 times
Baseball tix, at least in April on StubHub, start at only $6-8 in many cities, even some warmer ones. Rarely more than $20-$30 for the worst seats in most cities.

That's quite cheap for a live event. I realize these are the worst seats but at least it gets you in to experience some of the atmosphere and excitement.

Yes, the Cubs only had 29,000 again thus week, on Friday in chilly April, but isn't that what they were drawing a few years before the recent comeback years? I'm surprised it's not around 35,000 to a sellout, though, just after some playoff runs and a World Series title.

As far as nobody watching sports or caring anymore? I'd love to be in Philly tonight for the first Sixers playoff game since 2012...the city is going nuts.

NBA tv ratings, at least in the first part of the season, were up well over 30 percent! The playoffs will likely draw a record rating or near record.
Even in Boston, the Red Sox haven't sold out any of their first seven games, including the Yankees games...and they're 10-2 so far. But tv ratings are whaaaay up this year.

Can't always go by just attendance or tv viewership.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:28 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Can't always go by just attendance or tv viewership.
Ok then what metric can you go by? Paul Konerko T-shirt sales? Those are the only two ways to measure fan interest and passion.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:38 AM

4,856 posts, read 7,568,269 times
Wrigley is full of Iowans checking off a Chicago landmark from their list. Along with about 10,000 Chads' and Beckys' taking selfies inside Wrigley because it's the hip thing to do.

Comiskey is (not so) full of baseball fans.

Anyone who compares the attendance of the two stadiums is probably stupid.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:01 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Wrigley is full of Iowans checking off a Chicago landmark from their list. Along with about 10,000 Chads' and Beckys' taking selfies inside Wrigley because it's the hip thing to do.

One of the most annoying things about Cubs fans is how they react to every flyball, they think every pop-up is a home run, then a collective sigh "ohhhh" as the left fielder catches it in shallow left.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:50 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post

The Trixies have been replaced with Beckys??? Different name, same personality?

Old 04-15-2018, 05:44 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,804,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
One of the most annoying things about Cubs fans is how they react to every flyball, they think every pop-up is a home run, then a collective sigh "ohhhh" as the left fielder catches it in shallow left.
Oh My God YES!! THIS IS SO TRUE! It's driven me crazy for 25 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago