Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Well, by those parameters (which are generous), "greater DT" would include the southernmost reaches of South Loop, part of Chinatown, nearly all of Pilsen, West Loop, Greek Town, University Village, all of Gold Coast, Old Town and Noble Square / "East Village", and the eastern portions of Ukrainian Village and Wicker Park.

By that definition, I am in the "Greater DT Area" nearly every single time I am in Chicago, unless I'm just at O'Hare or Midway for a layover. I may only be in the actual Loop itself to switch trains, though, and I generally also avoid the entire Near North area (River North, Streeterville, Mag Mile, southern part of Gold Coast) unless absolutely necessary. That's mostly tourist hell as far as I'm concerned. By some people's (less generous than yours) definitions that means I'm not in Downtown often at all.

My Chicago base is Pilsen, within the area you define, so perhaps I don't qualify since you asked for people who live outside the area, but I travel internationally so often that I am in Asia more than Chicago these days, and I don't *always* stay in Pilsen when I am in Chicago, so I answered anyway.
Exactly, his parameters for "downtown" are way off for what most people consider "downtown." I don't think anyone considers any portion of Lincoln Park (even the park it'self) or UIC? (or Univ of Chicago?)/ Medical Ctr?/Medical District? as "downtown."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 02:08 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Exactly, his parameters for "downtown" are way off for what most people consider "downtown." I don't think anyone considers any portion of Lincoln Park (even the park it'self) or UIC? (or Univ of Chicago?)/ Medical Ctr?/Medical District? as "downtown."
Right. To me I would consider downtown to be Halsted to the west, division to north, and Roosevelt to the south.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:27 PM

410 posts, read 633,882 times
Just about every day.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:12 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
He called it "Greater Downtown" and his point was to draw a comparison to Manhattan vs the Outer boroughs. It's really not that hard to understand why his boundaries are so much wider or "generous" than most.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:27 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
He called it "Greater Downtown" and his point was to draw a comparison to Manhattan vs the Outer boroughs. It's really not that hard to understand why his boundaries are so much wider or "generous" than most.
Yeah, as usual it's a bit odd to directly compare Chicago and NYC in that way, but given what he was going for and the fact that he used "Greater", it's not a ridiculous definition. At least he kept it a similar distance in each direction. It's annoying when people consider areas really far north but not areas just slightly west or south.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:08 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
The problem is I didn’t have you to explain that when I started this thread. Thanks for getting it.

Perhaps we need to end this thread and I get to start a new one titled, “how often to you go to the intersection of State and Madison?”

As for the greater downtown area. I never claimed Lincoln Park (both park and neighborhood) were part of downtown. I did suggest that North Ave is where my concept of downtown begins...yes, I do consider the Gold Coast to be downtown.

As for skylark’s comment on the idea that it’s fine to acknowledge that downtown, of course, expands, but it hardly includes a vast portion of the North Side within its boundaries. I completely concur. And downtown, as he states, goes south and west as well as north.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:04 PM

672 posts, read 757,311 times
Whenever I’m in town. At least once a month.

Other than when I’m on holiday and ‘getting into nature’ or whatever, I have zero reason to be anywhere in this country other than Manhattan or ‘global’ Chicago — which, admittedly, is more than just the downtown area.

Last edited by compactspace; 04-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 04-12-2018, 07:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
About 6 days a week..lol
Work

Old 04-13-2018, 04:12 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,641 times
Every day for work + on the weekend to shop or visit friends.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:41 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
At least twice a monh for various events. I assume changing trains there does not count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago