Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 11:58 AM

53 posts, read 103,935 times

Advertisements

I take the blue line to work now and it seems much slower, especially when heading towards downtown. This has been consistent across multiple days of riding. Before now, i usually just used the train during non peak periods to get between neighborhoods. The Ohare bound trains on the way back home seem mostly normal. Is there track work going on or something? I take it in towards the loop at about 9:30am. Do busy period trains run slower than non peak trains? Google Maps says the trip should take 16 or 17 minutes usually form the Logan stop to the Clark/Lake stop, but today I timed it and it clocked in at 21 minutes.

Some of the spots that are especially noticeably slow:

Pulling into the Logan Square station (Usually the train pulls in very quick and I sometimes have to run from the Spauling side of the terminal to catch it in time.) Now it just seems like it creeps into the station, barely moving.)

Around the curve after Grand (Usually the train moves quite fast through here, but seems to be running at maybe half speed through here now)

Anywhere near Damen it seems to creep, also it barely moves between the Logan and California stops, it used to move a lot faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,289 times
https://www.transitchicago.com/sze/#maps

Old 04-15-2018, 12:37 PM

53 posts, read 103,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I feel like these same slow zones have existed for the past year though. Has it actually gotten much worse in the past 6 months or so?

Old 04-27-2018, 04:34 PM

17 posts, read 41,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
The last one was posted November 30, 2017. Are they not updating it in 2018? I definitely still notice slow zones especially on the NW side between Rosemont - Cumberland, Cumberland - Harlem, Harlem - Jefferson Park.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:43 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
I had that thought last time I took the Blue Line in from O'Hare. Let's just say I won't be doing that again for awhile. The fact that they charge more than double the the standard CTA price for that slow-ass ride is ridiculous. (It didn't help that I was coming back from East Asia, where trains are faster, smoother, quieter, cleaner, and cheaper.) Chicago still has good public transportation by US standards, but it has massive room for improvement, and the speed of the trip in on the Blue Line is certainly one such area.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:38 AM

17 posts, read 41,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
I had that thought last time I took the Blue Line in from O'Hare. Let's just say I won't be doing that again for awhile.
Despite some slow zones, I'd still be happier on the blue line from O'Hare during rush hour than the Kennedy, which could take twice as long to get downtown, while the train flies by standstill traffic.

At other times of the day, driving can be easy and faster than the train.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:29 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls91 View Post
Despite some slow zones, I'd still be happier on the blue line from O'Hare during rush hour than the Kennedy, which could take twice as long to get downtown, while the train flies by standstill traffic.
I rarely arrive at O'Hare during rush hour. In that scenario, I'll grant you the Blue Line would still be preferable. I was taking it during a non-rush time in an effort to save money over a taxi or Uber. I've decided next time I will spend the money and it will be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls91 View Post
At other times of the day, driving can be easy and faster than the train.
I would change "can be" to "almost certainly is" when it comes to this particular route.

Last edited by SkylarkPhotoBooth; 04-30-2018 at 04:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago