Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 08:24 AM

734 posts, read 485,811 times

Advertisements

Any predictions for Chicago 200+ years from now? Will there still be an L? Will skyrises expand outside of downtown and the lakefront? What will be the demographics of the populace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 08:48 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times
G in MP, I appreciate your open and creative mind. I'm sure others will enjoy this.

But brother, I can't even think much past THIS WEEK, let alone a year or 200 years!

Old 07-14-2021, 10:05 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QILNSgou5BY
Here's your city in 100 years, get out while there's still time...

Old 07-14-2021, 07:37 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
It needs to attract more international migration to diversify like other big world class cities. It also needs to consistently reduce its violent crime.

In my lifetime I have witnessed Chicago sink in stature. In the mid-late 90s it was number 3 in the US I'm terms of global stature. San Francisco has grown tremendously in wealth, technology, international diversity, being forward thinking and a city of the future. Washington DC went from the murder capital in the 90s to one of the wealthiest cities/metros. Houston has grown a lot. All these cities have greatly diversified too.

Chicago needs to get back in the game. It would be nice if the city could develop a tech niche. A recent thread said it was near the bottom for major cities and tech (although there was some controversy over metrics being used).

Unfortunately, when you mention Chicago nowadays, crime is the first thing that will be mentioned from outsiders.

This was not the case even 15 years ago.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:33 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It needs to attract more international migration to diversify like other big world class cities. It also needs to consistently reduce its violent crime.

In my lifetime I have witnessed Chicago sink in stature. In the mid-late 90s it was number 3 in the US I'm terms of global stature. San Francisco has grown tremendously in wealth, technology, international diversity, being forward thinking and a city of the future. Washington DC went from the murder capital in the 90s to one of the wealthiest cities/metros. Houston has grown a lot. All these cities have greatly diversified too.

Chicago needs to get back in the game. It would be nice if the city could develop a tech niche. A recent thread said it was near the bottom for major cities and tech (although there was some controversy over metrics being used).

Unfortunately, when you mention Chicago nowadays, crime is the first thing that will be mentioned from outsiders.

This was not the case even 15 years ago.
I've lived in Chicago most years since 1995. Crime was worse here in the early 1990s, and people talked about it. If you think otherwise, you're wearing rose colored glasses.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:11 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I've lived in Chicago most years since 1995. Crime was worse here in the early 1990s, and people talked about it. If you think otherwise, you're wearing rose colored glasses.
I was just beginning my teenage years in 1995, so I can't really say what people talked about. What I do know, is that in 1995 whenever I heard Chicago mentioned, it was always about The Bulls, Michael Jordan, Skyscrapers, Da Bears.

When Chicago is mentioned now, the first thing people think of is Crime. Now it's violent crime, murder, Chiraq, etc instead of what it used to be know for. Plus improving your crime numbers from a D- grade to a D+ over the last decades is nothing to be proud of. It is this attitude from the residents who have been here since 1995 that have contributed to the current state of crime through their voting.

But even broader. Chicago needs to diversify and become more international. A recent article ranked Chicago at the bottom of big cities for tech. It needs to modernize. And for the sake of its reputation, it needs to significantly reduce its crime so it's no longer on the headlines of every media outlet every weekend for its violent crime numbers. What do you think the weekend tally will be at the end of this weekend? I can post a link for you Sunday night....... This is unfortunately Chicago in this era.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:32 AM

Ok, but what will the city LOOK like in the future? Will the rickety L be replaced by bullet trains racing around on a monorail, for instance? Double-decker Kennedy x-way? That sorta stuff.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:49 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Any predictions for Chicago 200+ years from now? Will there still be an L? Will skyrises expand outside of downtown and the lakefront? What will be the demographics of the populace?
Will there still be a Chicago 200 years from now? Will there still be a United States of America 200 years from now? Will there still be a human race 200 years from now? Will the average temperature on Earth have risen to 200 degrees Fahrenheit by then?

Imagine someone from the year 1821 trying to imagine what things would be like 200 years later.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:44 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
Don't know about 200 years from now, but here's what Chicago will look like in 24 years.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343818...r/rm221660416/

Old 07-18-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Will there still be a Chicago 200 years from now? Will there still be a United States of America 200 years from now? Will there still be a human race 200 years from now? Will the average temperature on Earth have risen to 200 degrees Fahrenheit by then?

Imagine someone from the year 1821 trying to imagine what things would be like 200 years later.
Most likely yes, and I'm sure somebody in 1821 was trying to imagine such things. There's nothing unusual about wondering what the future will hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago