Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM

15 posts, read 36,887 times

Advertisements

We are 50+ and looking for apartment dewellers that love their apartment community!!! We have a cat, prefer non-smoking or great ventilation and no drab apartment layout.

Do you have any suggestions on specific apartments...we have done the internet searches looking for apartments that have glowing reviews, but haven't found anything that is stand out!

We can go to a one bedroom and pay alot or up a two bedroom and not pay as much!! We are pretty flexible, expecting to stay in a really nice downtown area for about 1 yr., but rethink (if necessary) out living location....live it up for 1 year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Marty View Post
We are 50+ and looking for apartment dewellers that love their apartment community!!! We have a cat, prefer non-smoking or great ventilation and no drab apartment layout.

Do you have any suggestions on specific apartments...we have done the internet searches looking for apartments that have glowing reviews, but haven't found anything that is stand out!

We can go to a one bedroom and pay alot or up a two bedroom and not pay as much!! We are pretty flexible, expecting to stay in a really nice downtown area for about 1 yr., but rethink (if necessary) out living location....live it up for 1 year!
I lived at 1 W. Superior for 2 years and I loved it. I was nice, clean, I had a great view, in unit W/D, a pool and nice exercise room, a business center AND you can literally take a back way into Whole Foods without even going outside. (nothing like wearing a t-shirt and shorts around the building in a winter and have people in Whole Foods covered in snow looking at you like you are a crazy person!).

It was cat friendly, not loud (although I had a neighbor that loved his techno ), and was diverse in terms of ages.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 AM

190 posts, read 982,239 times
I recently went looking for an apartment in Chicago. Went through several places and found a few that I liked. I'm not a Chicagoan (yet), but I became pretty familiar with the neighborhoods you're interested in.

Cityfront Place (440 N. McClurg, Streeterville) is pretty nice. Right on the Chicago River, with some units having views of Navy Pier, Lake Mich, and the River. Somewhat convenient. Two supermarkets within a few blocks as was an AMC movie theater. Shula's Steakhouse is over on Columbus. My issue was the relatively long walk to Michigan Avenue (for transportation) and the seclusion on that end of Streeterville. It's too quiet. And the wind whipping up off the Lake can make it really cold at night. Fitness center has a pool and everything you want (classes as well), but it'll cost you $45 per person per month. There is no business center. About $1,800-$2,000 a month for a 1BR.

420 E. Ohio (Streeterville) I liked a bunch. Very convenient to anything you can think, but just as long a walk to Michigan Avenue as Cityfront Place. There is a business center as well as a fitness center that's included in the cost of rent. I passed on this place because they weren't sure of the availability for June (when I'm moving to Chicago from New York) and the rent went anywhere from $1,700-$2,200 a month for a 1BR. It was a bit of a gamble, and I wasn't too interested in waiting. None of the apartments have a balcony either, if that's important to you.

One E. Delaware (Near North Side, specifically somewhere between Gold Coast and River North, I think) I ultimately settled on because of its proximity to the Mag Mile (one block away), the Red Line (at State and Chicago), more bus routes than I can count, a business center, a fitness center, nice people in the management office, and they had an apartment available for my time frame. For my south view apartment on a high floor, I can see the top of the Hancock Center and the entire Loop skyline -- Sears Tower included. And a south facing balcony to boot! The price was also okay. $1,800 a month for a 1BR.

Good luck. Avoid realtors in Chicago like the plague when looking for a rental apartment. They're relatively useless in that regard, in my opinion.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,316 times
We own a two bedroom condominium on E Elm in the Gold Coast. We are also in our fifties and love the neighborhood. It is the most beautiful street in the Gold Coast. Quiet, but walking distance to everything. Occasionally we rent it short term. When will you be here for three weeks ? Does this interest you ? Good Luck ! Chicago is an amazing city ! Deborah ( [email]Deborah480@yahoo.com[/email] )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: