Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 03:30 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,402 times

Advertisements

So I'll be potentially moving to Chicago real soon. I live in STL currently (before that PNW). So I'm trying to see what's a good area to live. I could be making anywhere from $60k-$90k and not sure if I would have to have a far commute or not on that salary.

Single Black Male, 27. Trying to avoid roommates, but will if I have to. Tips? My biggest concern would be not knowing how far certain salaries would go and don't want to move thinking I'm getting a good salary but it essentially turns out to be a pay cut. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 03:52 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,154 times
Just go online and compare rents with STL. We have no way of doing that due diligence for you until you know your parameters.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:08 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Just go online and compare rents with STL. We have no way of doing that due diligence for you until you know your parameters.
Agree. Plus the $60-90K range is really large, so the OP would get more advice when his salary is known. When I moved to Chicago, I did exactly what you suggested and just looked online to see what my big monthly costs would be.

For the OP- As a general rule. Most of the "downtown" neighborhoods (Loop, River North, West Loop, Streeterville, parts of South Loop, Gold Coast, and Old Town) will have more newer, modern high rise housing stock. The starting price for these are going to be close to $1600 minimum (with the price increasing the newer the building is/ more amenities it has). Now, you will find some older buildings in these areas with lower prices, and there may be some deals for some of these building (sub-letters) that may lower the price a little, but bottom line, for newer modern buildings around downtown, they are expensive ($1600-2000 for 1BRs with no roommates). As you get a little further from downtown or older buildings, the price will decrease. I agree that it would be best to start with an online search once you know your salary.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:00 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
So I'll be potentially moving to Chicago real soon. I live in STL currently (before that PNW). So I'm trying to see what's a good area to live. I could be making anywhere from $60k-$90k and not sure if I would have to have a far commute or not on that salary.

Single Black Male, 27. Trying to avoid roommates, but will if I have to. Tips? My biggest concern would be not knowing how far certain salaries would go and don't want to move thinking I'm getting a good salary but it essentially turns out to be a pay cut. Thanks!
If you're closer to $90k you will have a lot of options (depending on what your debts are and what not in regards to expenses). At $60k it will be much more limiting and living in the downtown area can come out as pretty expensive.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:18 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
I'm hoping to move to STL in the next year or so and based on my research, STL has MUCH lower rent prices, but with similar housing to Chicago (mostly older buildings). The nice neighborhoods in STL like Central West End and Clayton have prices in the $800-1000 range for a 1br, while in Chicago those prices are on the lower end.

To move from STL to Chicago, I'd imagine you'd need a 20% salary increase to break even. I'd aim for at least a 20% increase to make sure you don't end up with a pay cut.

Also, Chicago is a huge city, so ideally you'd want to live fairly close to work to avoid a long commute. The neighborhoods closest to downtown are the most expensive, so that's just something to keep in mind.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:43 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,185,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm hoping to move to STL in the next year or so and based on my research, STL has MUCH lower rent prices, but with similar housing to Chicago (mostly older buildings). The nice neighborhoods in STL like Central West End and Clayton have prices in the $800-1000 range for a 1br, while in Chicago those prices are on the lower end.

To move from STL to Chicago, I'd imagine you'd need a 20% salary increase to break even. I'd aim for at least a 20% increase to make sure you don't end up with a pay cut.

Also, Chicago is a huge city, so ideally you'd want to live fairly close to work to avoid a long commute. The neighborhoods closest to downtown are the most expensive, so that's just something to keep in mind.
On a side note, many units in that price range in the Central West End will likely not be updated (lots of students in that area that they appeal to) and or not actually in the CWE. This is especially true the closer you get to the park. That's the arguably the most expensive part of the city. As for Clayton, it can be pricy too, but you'll find more in that price range since it's a suburb with its own downtown. That price range won't cut it in downtown Clayton though.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:06 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

CWE is good, if not pricey for newer apartments. Depends on what you want really. I live in Tower Grove and for $800 (a bit on the high end) you would live very nicely.

But one thing about STL is while it's cheaper, you'd needed a car. You might be able to get away in CWE but there's definitely some risk with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: