Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 03:38 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times

Advertisements

So we are looking to downsize and move from Naperville into Chicago during 2019. We will be renting.

At this time, we will have two sons either wrapping up college or doing the super senior year. Of the two, guessing 1 will boomerang for a bit and the other won't. Neither takes up a ton of space - we are viewing this home as a crash pad for them just during certain parts of the year, or on a temporary basis. Still, we'd like them to be reasonably comfortable. They would share a bedroom when living with us.

In addition, our daughter will be 19 at the time of the proposed move, a college kid. Permanently residing with us on breaks.

I have worked in the city for a long time, am quite familiar with it, but have always lived in the suburbs. My wife spent some of her childhood living on the West Side, but since then has also been suburban. Our young adult offspring are all quite suburban and aren't thrilled with this situation, but are generally accepting it. All 5 of us are very close - we want them comfortable but also see this as a bit of a nudge to transition into full on adulthood.

Looking for a 3 BR, 2BA place for $2500-$3000/month. Could potentially stretch a little past that if we absolutely had to. Would like to be in a residential area, not a high rise. A smaller multifamily building is fine, maybe up to 4-5 stories. A place with some green nearby. At the same time, I don't want my commute to the loop to exceed 45 minutes, door to door. I'm sick of this long commute and that's a big reason for the move.

Our favorite neighborhood is Lincoln Square/Ravenswood, staying east of Western and west of the Metra line. South of Lawrence. Expanding south, also like North Center, West Lakeview, Roscoe Village. Also like Bucktown, but am hoping not to land in Wicker Park (too young) or West Town (not quite there yet for us).

We also like Old Town.

As we peruse the internet for apartments to give us an idea of what we can find next year, I'm just wondering if we are missing another neighborhood or two that would be suitable. I would like to stay away from Uptown, Andersonville feels too far north, DePaul area way too young, Lincoln Park is a maybe but also feels young. Would like not to be smack dab in Wrigleyville (too Cubbie, too drunk, and I'm a Sox fan). Nothing in our budget/size comes up in Fulton or West Loop.

Any other ideas I may be missing? I do not know enough about the South Loop or Logan/Palmer Square area to feel comfortable with them. What about near Little Italy/UIC?

Anyway, would love to hear thoughts from this group on possible other ideas. The search, while early, is giving us a few possible options but not as many as I'd hoped.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 03:56 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Andersonville is fantastic and has more or less the same train commute time downtown as Lincoln Square. I wouldn't exclude Uptown as most of it is very nice going west all the way to Ravenswood from Montrose to Foster. I think you will find what you are looking for in Lincoln Square though.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Andersonville is fantastic and has more or less the same train commute time downtown as Lincoln Square. I wouldn't exclude Uptown as most of it is very nice going west all the way to Ravenswood from Montrose to Foster. I think you will find what you are looking for in Lincoln Square though.
Thanks, the issue is that that boundary I described in LS has almost no inventory that suits us whenever we look. We'd love to be within 2-3 blocks of Giddings, but not much there.

Edit: I have 666 posts and 666 reputation. Yikes!!

Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Post again quick!

Going west of Western in Lincoln Square is worth a look, Ravenswood Gardens is beautiful. Roscoe Village is worth checking out too.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:11 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
I would look around in Ravenswood as well. My gut says you could find a really nice condo to rent there meeting those parameters. May be tough to find ‘the perfect fit’ in LS now due to crazy popularity.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
The only place I’d add is east Lincoln Park. As you move away from DePaul area it’s definitely less young, and you’re right next to the park, so there is endless greenery. Lots of great shops and restaurants in the area up Clark street and on Diversey.

Ravenswood sounds like a good option for you too.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:14 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times
I would stay away from Uptown as well. Everyone keeps telling me it is much better than it was when I lived there in the early 90s yet there has been a lot of violence there recently like rapes and shootings.

Roscoe Village and Lincoln Square are real nice though as is Andersonville

Old 05-17-2018, 07:18 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
It sounds like you're looking in the right areas for your situation. I know you said south of Lawrence, but is there any reason you wouldn't look up to say Argyle in LS? That would still put you pretty close to the square still.

I would imagine you'll enjoy the north side neighborhoods more than Little Italy/UIC. You can most likely find something down there in your price range within a block of Taylor Street, though.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:54 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I'd include some of the older buildings in the Illinois Center / "new east side" area and maybe the greater Gold Coast / Old Town area, but those older building might have a reputation for very modestly sized rooms. The trend of larger rooms is much easier to find in single family detached homes than any sort of multi-family. Even older three flats and such are likely to trigger an "OMG my DORM is bigger' reaction from your kids as colleges have upgraded their offerings...

I have seen some larger lofts that I suspect are a better transition from suburban sized homes, rentals are not widely advertised but the sort of space you can expect with a 4br or larger in River North or other hip areas can be appealing -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/42.../home/12576775 . My gut says that if you find a well connected real estate broker that handles rentals for folks who own such units they'd be happy to work out an agreement with tenants like you, especially if somebody has been burned by AirBnB or packs of kids fresh out of college trying to "house hack" with unauthorized sub-lessors... Whole different level of care with a legitimate family of adult kids. Will somebody accept "just" $3k for that peace of mind ? Depends on many factors.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
It sounds like you're looking in the right areas for your situation. I know you said south of Lawrence, but is there any reason you wouldn't look up to say Argyle in LS? That would still put you pretty close to the square still.

I would imagine you'll enjoy the north side neighborhoods more than Little Italy/UIC. You can most likely find something down there in your price range within a block of Taylor Street, though.
Part of it is that I will need to get to either the EL or Metra. I work in the Sears Tower. North of Lawrence starts to become a hike to the Brown line, unless it's east enough to catch the Metra at Ravenswood/Lawrence. And I haven't yet explored Wolcott Gardens, maybe it's okay.

Being east of Western and west of Ravenswood, but south of Lawrence, would be nice. This is also why I've expanded down into North Center or Roscoe Village. I don't want to move to the city and have almost an hour commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago