Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:52 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times

Advertisements

Financially, the only people who can come out ahead in Chicago are people who have careers that you can't find the same progression or opportunities that other large midwest cities have. For example, if you work in construction, healthcare, or education, you can do that anywhere. Granted you do get paid more in Chicago, but you don't have any better advancement or promotion opportunities. But lets say you work in corporate america, finance, or consulting. The same opportunities and jobs just aren't available on the high end in other cities. You have so many large international corporate headquarters and consulting jobs in Chicago and a higher ladder to climb.

From personal experience, I work for a construction management company and moved to Indianapolis. I actually got paid more in Indy for the exact same job and the cost of living is so much smaller. Staying in Chicago would not have offered me any greater career opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 09:03 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
I'm not a huge fan of Chicago but Indianapolis just sucks. Anyway, this same argument could be applied to any number of big cities. Is it worth living in San Francisco if you aren't making $250k per year at some high tech job? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what you're looking for.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Chicago but Indianapolis just sucks. Anyway, this same argument could be applied to any number of big cities. Is it worth living in San Francisco if you aren't making $250k per year at some high tech job? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what you're looking for.

The first word of my sentence was FINANCIALLY worth it based on career opportunities. Lets keep it to that. And no, it would not be financially worth it living in San Fran unless you have a GOOD career in tech or high finance. Tech jobs have really spread throughout the country though.

Last edited by Berteau; 05-18-2018 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
The first word of my sentence was FINANCIALLY worth it. Lets keep it to that. And no, it would not be financially worth it living in San Fran unless you have a GOOD career in tech or high finance. Tech jobs have really spread throughout the country though.
If you are spending more than 20% of your gross income on housing and other expenses it's not worth it, no matter where you live. If you are making at least $20k per month you can afford to spend more than 20% on expenses.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:19 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Maybe, but if you want to live in a real city with endless top notch amenities, Chicago is very hard to beat. Yeah, I could live in Indy for less, but I would slit my wrists.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:17 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Maybe, but if you want to live in a real city with endless top notch amenities, Chicago is very hard to beat. Yeah, I could live in Indy for less, but I would slit my wrists.
Agreed! It's not all about the finances. I expect to have to relocate when I retire, but it won't be some place like Indy or the South, it'll be to the far south like Mexico or Ecuador.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Okay. But what if you live in the suburbs? Naperville basically equals north Indy burbs. They have the same amenities, and without the traffic and long commutes.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:26 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Probably, but I hate suburbs everywhere

Old 05-18-2018, 12:39 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
What exactly is a "corporate career"? The cashiers at Walgreens, Starbucks, and Target work for large corporations. Private practice lawyers, anesthesiologists, and plumbers don't, but they all make significantly more money than the aforementioned "corporate" employees.

As for Indianapolis, it's not a horrible place-- just a rather bland and boring one. If I were looking at places to move to from Chicago, though, there would be at least 50 cities worldwide, including at least 20 in the U.S., that I would look at before Indianapolis, but that's just one person's opinion.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
What exactly is a "corporate career"? The cashiers at Walgreens, Starbucks, and Target work for large corporations. Private practice lawyers, anesthesiologists, and plumbers don't, but they all make significantly more money than the aforementioned "corporate" employees.

As for Indianapolis, it's not a horrible place-- just a rather bland and boring one. If I were looking at places to move to from Chicago, though, there would be at least 50 cities worldwide, including at least 20 in the U.S., that I would look at before Indianapolis, but that's just one person's opinion.
Cashiers are't corporate careers or even careers. I'm talking about salaried positions at their corporate offices, but I figured I didn't need to spell that out. From my post "You have so many large international corporate headquarters and consulting jobs in Chicago"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago