Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:06 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times

Advertisements

As a person that grew up in San Francisco
I really do hate to hear it called
"Frisco". Tells me your an outsider trying to
sound hip.
No one I knew growing up ever called it that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 02:57 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I do believe many / most folks who head to San Antonio absolutely are going SPECIFICALLY for their River Walk, and that by definition makes it a "destination" so I guess that also makes it "#1 River Walk Destination"...

Chicago has done a nice job of improving access to the whole "river front" and the portion that is now active with shops & restaurants is certainly not going to ever beat out other parts of Chicago for dining / nightlife/shopping BUT if somebody is already downtown it makes sense to swing by the "river walk"...
Chicago and San Antonio's Riverwalks are night-and-day different. San Antonio's river walk is the city's focal point (with the Alamo) and is incredibly quaint with bars and restaurants (many of them chains) lining the river. The river is not very wide (30' tops?) and the only traffic on the river are small tourist boats. For much of the walk, it's a shaded, peaceful respite. To be fair, there are also some very jaded/touristy portions, but overall, it's pretty cool.

I struggle to define it but Chicago's river walk is almost a wholesale new attraction, set below the hussle and bustle and din of the city. It's not quaint or tree-lined, but more like a new vantage point among the skyscrapers next to a pretty imposing river. Each section (between bridges) almost forms a "room" and most of these rooms have some sort of dining or drinking option. Also, Chicago's rivewalk is situated on one bank of the river (south). It's touristy, but Chicagoans (esp. daytime inhabitants) have embraced it. The riverwalk is filled in summer at lunch with office workers from the Loop.

They're both cool areas, very popular and very different. I'd be hard pressed to say which is more attractive, but would ultimately probably choose Chicago only because I'm an arhcitecture nut.

EDIT-- to the OP, sorry for off-topic talk, but based on the discussion, it's apparent the Riverwalk is worth a visit (as well as architecture tours by boat and by foot, AIC, Field, Michigan Ave. Randolph St., neighborhood tour(s), etc., etc.)

Last edited by BigLake; 07-23-2018 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago