Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 PM

320 posts, read 954,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
I guess thats more of what I need to know, what streets to stay north and east of. Generally speaking, not just for Taste of Chicago you said stay north of Roosevelt and east of Halsted.. But if I come back to visit Chicago, Soldier Field, The Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium areas are probably all quite safe as well and are south of Roosevelt, I figure if I stay north of 18th street and east of Ashland I will still be relatively pretty safe, is that true or are there some shady areas between that?
I think it all depends on one's comfort level. As you become familiar with the city, you tend to define what you are comfortable with, and in a way it grows. Common sense is a great thing - if you don't like the way an area feels, move on. Just like out in the rest of the country 95% of people are meet are fine and upstanding individuals. That other 5% are going to be flowing in and out of different areas. And to tell you the truth, being out of comfort zones from time to time is how we all grow.

I have lived and worked in this city since I was 18, almost 15 years now. Never been mugged, beaten, abused, robbed. My car was broken into once, and they caught him 10 minutes later. For what I have read here, everyone else is baffled by what exactly it is you fear. It sounds like you want to experience some culture and sights, but whatever that fear is probably will hold you back from enjoying them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM

258 posts, read 1,003,587 times
Well its not so much fear I'm just trying to find out as much information as possible about Chicago as I can before I go there.. because I havent really seen much of the city, I drove there from northern lower Michigan (where I'm from) last summer and went to a Cubs game and it was great, and also went to the Field Museum and Navy Pier. Other then that, I havent seen anything else in Chicago.. and I'm 28 and thinking about relocating near Chicago so I need to find out as much info as I can really, and specifically what places to see.. I went to the Venitian Festival last summer, and was walking around 12 am on a saturday night, near Millinium Park and honestly it wasnt very crowded, seemed like my girlfriend and I were the only ones walking around ... kind of makes me feel better when other people are walking near me at that time of night, I guess I'll stay by the more crowded areas at that time of night, Michigan Avenue for example is generally always safe right? Just curious if any other streets are generally always safe, I imagine the Loop is pretty safe usually.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Here's what a lot of people perceive with the crime in Chicago these days. Overall crime is down across Chicago, HOWEVER there has been a HUGE surge in violence that we haven't seen in about a decade. This violence is almost always gang related, i.e. gang to gang violence due to the lucrative narcotics market. This violence is also contained within a select group of city neighborhoods and suburbs.

Of course things will always happen in a major city, but overall, crime is down across Chicago. You just have to remain vigilant. Sure, it's possible someone gets robbed on Michigan Avenue, or gets their wallet picked off in Lincoln Park. It's a big city.

There's no way they will utilize National Guard in Chicago. It's basically unheard of doing that. The only way it would work is to pair National Guardsmen with Chicago Police officers in targeted high crime areas. I guarantee you won't be seeing them on Michigan Avenue or Clark Street.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I live south of roosevelt and I feel pretty safe. Most cases if you head to the advise of most of the posters you will be fine. Use common sence. Don't be wondering around late at night intoxicated. Don't tell panhandlers on the street to get a job unless you are prepared to take a beating. Act like you know where you're going. Never give panhandlers money if you want to help donate to food pantries. Don't flash expensive toys when your out.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
If you're going to live in a burb why not look at Oak Park? Oak Park Tourist - Touring, Living and Working in Oak Park, Illinois

Old 04-26-2010, 02:55 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Halsted and Roosevelt were strange boundaries to use.

With the growth of the South Loop, reincarnation of the University Village area, and some gentrification of Pilsen, Roosevelt isn't really much of a boundary in the areas immediately south and southwest.

And using Halsted cuts off most of the nice neighborhoods in the city.

Or you could take the advice of our one trick pony of a moderator, and look at Oak Park.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 PM

18 posts, read 70,231 times
I just read in one of the National Guard articles that the vast majority of violent crimes are confined to 9% of the city. NINE PERCENT.

If you're that concerned about it, check out EveryBlock's crime data. I also moved here from Michigan and I live in the city and LOVE IT! Why move to Chicago if you're not going to experience city life!? My family had our car stolen out of our garage in a small Southern town. Crime happens everywhere, you just have to be smart. If you feel uncomfortable in an area of town, you probably shouldn't be there. I know that personally, most of the areas along the green line scare the crap out of me. So I don't go there. End of story.

Look for a place along the Brown Line-they're generally the safest areas in the city! And stay east of Damen. I have NEVER heard any Chicagoan EVER say to stay east of Halsted on the North side. The Lincoln Park Athletic Club is west of Halsted. Guess it must be dangerous

Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Telling people they'll be just fine if they avoid gangs, drugs and the city's worst neighborhoods isn't entirely accurate.

Man stabbed four times in chest while jogging :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2196520,chicago-riverwalk-jogger-stabbed-042410.article - broken link)

Man with a bat attacks 2 women in Bucktown - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/two-women-injured-in-bucktown-by-man-wielding-baseball-bat.html - broken link)

Toddler dies from suspected retaliation shooting - Chicago Tribune

Old 04-26-2010, 04:48 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Telling people they'll be just fine if they avoid gangs, drugs and the city's worst neighborhoods isn't entirely accurate.

Man stabbed four times in chest while jogging :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2196520,chicago-riverwalk-jogger-stabbed-042410.article - broken link)

Man with a bat attacks 2 women in Bucktown - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/two-women-injured-in-bucktown-by-man-wielding-baseball-bat.html - broken link)

Its mostly accurate. People die in the suburbs all the time too.

BTW, in the last case the father of the toddler is a gang member, which again emphasizes the risk of associating with gang members (not that the poor kid had a choice in the matter.)

Old 04-26-2010, 05:08 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post

As I stated, incidents do happen outside of the gang neighborhoods. Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the country. Things unfortunately do happen. The likelihood of being a crime victim is significantly lower if you are not a gang member, do not reside in neighborhoods with significant gang presence, and take proactive self security measures, such as not walking alone at night. The vast majority of violent crime in Chicago is gang on gang. The reason the first two stories made the paper was because the man was stabbed in the major downtown tourist area of Chicago and in the second story, because it was so horrific and brutal. This type of crime happens all over the country in larger cities (and some smaller ones).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago