Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times

Advertisements

I think the advice to never walk outside after 11 PM is a little bit over the top. The areas that suburbanites visit (North Michigan Ave, etc) tend to be full of people walking around in the evening. Its not like you're going to travel from the suburbs to Chicago on the weekends to go seek out dark, deserted alleyways in the heart of gang-infested neighborhoods.

You're probably more likely to die in a car accident traveling from the burbs into the city than to fall victim to the rare innocent-bystander murder while in the city. Seriously. When you consider the actuarial risk, most people worry too much about violent crime and not enough about motor vehicle accidents. How many people die every year in your neck of the woods due to MVA (adjusted on a per capita basis of course)?

Here's a link to all homicides in the city of Chicago from 2008- to the present day. (http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/date/2010/04/) There's a map and link to news stories as well so you can read all the gory details. Notice how few homicides take place north of downtown and east of the expressways. This area has a population of roughly 700 thousand people and the vast majority of the wealth, political power, and touristy sites/amenities.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 04-27-2010 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
HumboldtParkRican,

Are you still in a gang? You say to avoid gangs but clearly were in one or still are.

The gangbangers left me alone when I lived in Humboldt Park and I left them alone except for the occasional teenager I saw walking around with a handgun who I just called the cops on or the occasional drug dealer on the corner (only when it was my block).

I feel sorry for gangbangers as they have few options in life and view gangbangers as slightly better than cockroaches that need to be exterminated.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:18 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
Its kind of a bummer to not be able to walk around after 11 pm.... even on Michigan Avenue? One other person said even after 8 pm to not walk around the loop, is this true?? Right now I live in a smaller area in Michigan and you can walk around all night without anything happening.. maybe Chicago just isnt for me, right now I dont know the solution because I was looking for a place close to Michigan, so I could come home and see family but if I cant walk around after 8 pm or 11 pm then its not really worth it... I understand the murder rate is down but its about the same as NYC's in terms of total number, the thing is NYC is about 3 times as big, I see a problem there. I guess its still a fun place to go, Chicago, but its too bad that its like you cant stay out late and have to stay in certain areas, whats the fun in that? In the end I'm trying to decide weather its worth it to make the move to the outter suburbs, and travel into the city on the weekends, which will probably work fine for me, I'll probably still be safe I just want opinions of the people who actually live in the city and have a feel for it. In the end its alot more exciting for people in their late 20's or early 30's then Cleveland, Indianapolis, Detroit, Minneapolis so I may have to take my chances with Chicago if I want to be close to home, or move out of the midwest, which is another option im mulling if no job prospects come up this year or next for my girlfriend and I. I realize most of the murders are committed in the south and west suburbs, but if you look at this link, CeaseFire chief: Homicide stats are actually down :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2204252,CST-NWS-crime27.article - broken link) there is still alot of violent crimes committed every year in areas in the north side... kinda makes me wonder what is going on in those areas as well. Another person commented that most of the crimes committed were against black or non white people, Id like to see that statistic somewhere.
You're way too neurotic to live here if you're still nattering on about safety after 4 or 5 pages. Move to Indy or Minneapolis.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:05 AM

313 posts, read 596,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
And then you bring up New York, the bane of any provincial Chicagoan.
Manhattan feels safe? What part specifically? Over by Times Square? Midtown? There are parts of Manhattan that are pretty rough.
What, are you from 1988? Manhattan is incredibly safe these days. 2/3 the population of Chicago and 1/9th the murders. Murders by Times Square and Midtown? Outside of Harlem (and Harlem isn't that bad) it's very safe.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
Its kind of a bummer to not be able to walk around after 11 pm.... even on Michigan Avenue? One other person said even after 8 pm to not walk around the loop, is this true?? Right now I live in a smaller area in Michigan and you can walk around all night without anything happening.. maybe Chicago just isnt for me, right now I dont know the solution because I was looking for a place close to Michigan, so I could come home and see family but if I cant walk around after 8 pm or 11 pm then its not really worth it... I understand the murder rate is down but its about the same as NYC's in terms of total number, the thing is NYC is about 3 times as big, I see a problem there. I guess its still a fun place to go, Chicago, but its too bad that its like you cant stay out late and have to stay in certain areas, whats the fun in that? In the end I'm trying to decide weather its worth it to make the move to the outter suburbs, and travel into the city on the weekends, which will probably work fine for me, I'll probably still be safe I just want opinions of the people who actually live in the city and have a feel for it. In the end its alot more exciting for people in their late 20's or early 30's then Cleveland, Indianapolis, Detroit, Minneapolis so I may have to take my chances with Chicago if I want to be close to home, or move out of the midwest, which is another option im mulling if no job prospects come up this year or next for my girlfriend and I. I realize most of the murders are committed in the south and west suburbs, but if you look at this link, CeaseFire chief: Homicide stats are actually down :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2204252,CST-NWS-crime27.article - broken link) there is still alot of violent crimes committed every year in areas in the north side... kinda makes me wonder what is going on in those areas as well. Another person commented that most of the crimes committed were against black or non white people, Id like to see that statistic somewhere.
How many freakin' times do you have to ask the same basic question over and over and over again? If you're so concerned about moving here, then don't.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 AM

320 posts, read 954,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
What, are you from 1988? Manhattan is incredibly safe these days. 2/3 the population of Chicago and 1/9th the murders. Murders by Times Square and Midtown? Outside of Harlem (and Harlem isn't that bad) it's very safe.
Thats my point.
1) You can't make a blanket argument like an area the size and diversity of Manhattan is 100% safe.
2) And that if you give one statement, someone else somewhere will refute it.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 AM

320 posts, read 954,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
You're way too neurotic to live here if you're still nattering on about safety after 4 or 5 pages. Move to Indy or Minneapolis.
Thats puzzling to me, too. All this problems about safety, yet didn't like Minneapolis, one of the safest big cities there is.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 9,330 times
The South Side of Chicago is extremely dangerous. More Americans died in the South/West side of Chicago last month (3/10) than died while deployed in Iraq. Conversely, the North Side is jarringly safe. The only thing to worry about in the North Side of Chicago is crippling boredom . . . and jocks. Lots and lots of jocks.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,745 times
OP: This thread has been 5 pages of people telling you, essentially, "If you stay away from a few certain areas, your odds of being a crime victim are very slim". If that's still not enough to make you feel safe, then you are better off not coming to Chicago. Or any large city.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:28 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,587 times
Well I understand that there are a few bad areas in Chicago, Its just that someone told me on here to not walk around the loop after 8 pm, and not to walk around at all after 11 pm, I was just curious what you people thought about that, and what streets to stay within on the east and south.. thats really all I need to know. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago