Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 12:27 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I wish something could be done to clear out all those annoying lowlifes that hang out on 35th street between Michigan and King Drive.
I've seen them too. You'd think CPD would be able to do something considering their headquarters is literally across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 01:27 PM

796 posts, read 930,606 times
I'd live there. I like the proximity to the south loop and both the red and green lines. only thing I don't like is the lack of stores and shopping that even other parts of the south side have.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:53 PM

19 posts, read 137,278 times
i want to thank you guys for the responses, after speaking with a few other users, and other people within the community, I was convinced that area would be a high candidate of where I would want to go, unfortunately the house had an offer before I had a chance to make a decision on it. I had also looked at bridgeport, armour square area, and i can tell you, armour square was filled with large number of chinese homebuyers, which made me think that going to "the gap" neighborhood" would be better for me.

im the asian weirdo who doesn't necessarily want to be living with my own kind. (im too americanized) at any rate, this post wasnt about race per say, obviously violence against colored folks, or any folks is bad. the post was merely attempting to explain the scenario such that you guys can respond to my question as best you can with context, and how walkable in the sense am I going to get robbed or not just for not being black, since the neighborhood has a large african american population. as the topic for race, the unfortunately situation is american society is racist, and that includes, the asians, the blacks, the whites, the latinos. its an unfortunate generalization that occurs. im the one who is pro mixing such that this issue of race eventually just melts to nothing.. so in the context that me being asian walking around at say 3am, (since i work til 1am) would I as an asian in a predominantly african american neighborhood become an easy target for someone who wants to rob/harm etc to me or my wife. but again in that sense, you can be robbed anywhere, including downtown.. someone had asked where I worked, what our plans were, i work in downtown, and we are planning to have a family sometime within the next year or two. anyways, thanks again, I am convinced that if someone is a bit street smart, you should be alright.. the housing stock in the area is gorgeous.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:16 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Ok, I still work right next to Douglas park. I am not sure what you are trying to say. Im sorry.
He's trying to say that Douglas and Douglas Park are about six miles apart and have nothing to do with one another.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:31 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Your post reminded me of this really great photo journal depicting the Tri-Taylor neighborhood in the 70s: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjtqhoRM

I didn't think your post was too off-topic. All these neighborhoods are the same and represent the same things to those who don't live in them.
Wow, Tri-Taylor sure doesn't look like that now.

Where did all the black people go? The far south side and the south suburbs?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:22 PM

504 posts, read 496,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Wow, Tri-Taylor sure doesn't look like that now.

Where did all the black people go? The far south side and the south suburbs?
Come on, you are pretty knowledgeable on this topic..

But to OP - that is unfortunate that you lost the house. I recommend continuing to watch the home market because there are some absolute steals that pop up every couple months in that neighborhood. The Gap has some nice housing stock and the transit is great. If you're buying, you're going to be in good shape in a few years - but it lacks good food options right now.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:00 PM

19 posts, read 137,278 times
does anyone know if North Lawndale is in similiar track as bronzeville? im guessing it wont even be close, considering 16th street is filled with vacant lots and looks like once of the most violent parts of chicago. i saw a home that looked like a castle and just looked gorgeous. but its in north lawndale by central park pink line, and didnt seem like a good area.. although the neighborhood on that street seem some nice people there.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
Lawndale is nowhere in the same planet as Bronzeville, with both neighborhoods going in completely opposite directions. In terms of well-priced, new construction alone, Bronzeville outclasses virtually every other Chicago neighborhood even though there are still enormous hurdles (like walking around the 47th Green line stop at night... jaysus...)

Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 PM

19 posts, read 37,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookeye View Post
does anyone know if North Lawndale is in similiar track as bronzeville? im guessing it wont even be close, considering 16th street is filled with vacant lots and looks like once of the most violent parts of chicago. i saw a home that looked like a castle and just looked gorgeous. but its in north lawndale by central park pink line, and didnt seem like a good area.. although the neighborhood on that street seem some nice people there.
As a home owner in North Lawndale, nope nothing to see here. Absolutely nothing but vacant lots, junkies and bad schools, oh and the black people, and our neighborhood isn’t “walkable”. Pay us no attention.

Last edited by ChiAKA2002; 10-09-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM

17 posts, read 30,060 times
I personally wouldn't live there. It is true, they say their going to make that area better year after year but it never happens. That area has always been kind of an iffy spot, a lot of gang conflicts and a lot of shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago