Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:41 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from NC and now live in Chicago. Winters here aren't as bad as people say, but I still hate it and completely understand why so many people leave for places down south. The temperatures really aren't bad, but it's the length that bothers me. By the time late March/early April rolls around down south, it's spring. But here in Chicago it can still be 30-50 until late May.

Also, the gloomy grey skies are really depressing. You at least get a little bit of sun down south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 11:07 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
When the urban heat island effect is taken into consideration, there's probably not a warmer spot (such as it is) on the Great Lakes than Chicago, simply because of the sheer size of the "island." The other factor in Chicago is the infrastructure exists for you to reliably get around without driving. As a native of the Gulf Coast where we went all year without freezing sometimes, but who has done winter life in the Midwest as well - most of my gripes about winter relate in some way or another to driving a car in ice, frequently washing the car to ward off salt-induced rust etc.

The lakes in general are also a moderating factor for air temperature. Cedar Rapids, Iowa is on a similar latitude but further away from Lake Michigan. It'll average about five degrees colder in winter than in Chicago.

The real killer is wind chill. They don't call it the Windy City for nothing. I'd complain about 38F with a heavy wind (in Chicago or in Houston, where that still happens sometimes) before I complained about a calm 18F.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:28 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,720 times
I have found biggest way to get around winter is to plan two trips per winter. Every winter I do a weekend getaway in January to Florida for a break and then 1-2 week trip somewhere longer and warmer like Brazil, Costa Rica, etc in February or March. You get a nice break from it all.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:36 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm originally from NC and now live in Chicago. Winters here aren't as bad as people say, but I still hate it and completely understand why so many people leave for places down south. The temperatures really aren't bad, but it's the length that bothers me. By the time late March/early April rolls around down south, it's spring. But here in Chicago it can still be 30-50 until late May.

Also, the gloomy grey skies are really depressing. You at least get a little bit of sun down south.

Agree generally but the "...30-50 until late May..." is a bit over the top. By May, while one would expect temps to be in the 70s (and they often are), we rarely if ever touch 30, even at night. By end of April and into May, you're getting bona fide springtime weather of 60-70s, even 80s on occasion by late May.

I also agree winter takes a bit long on getting its ass out of here, but Chicagoans power on and think, "hhhh... let's see, I can be in a world class city like Chicago and its 50 in March, or I can be in Atlanta where it's 70. Nuff said, I'll deal with the cold for another month."

Old 09-27-2018, 01:31 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
If I could live in a warmer climate for the months of February and March, I'd love the weather here. Nice variety. It's really that last half of winter and early spring that suck.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:01 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,540,278 times
Actual frostbite is rare. I moved from North Carolina, and survived for several years. After all, you can always add another layer of clothing... but you can't remove all your layers, and expect to keep most jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I have found biggest way to get around winter is to plan two trips per winter.
Yes, indeed! MLK weekend in mid-January is a great opportunity to take a breather right when winter is statistically at its coldest. And another trip in late winter / early spring is a chance to relieve the boredom of waiting for summer -- which, as others have mentioned, is truly the most painful part of the winter.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:44 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Agree generally but the "...30-50 until late May..." is a bit over the top. By May, while one would expect temps to be in the 70s (and they often are), we rarely if ever touch 30, even at night. By end of April and into May, you're getting bona fide springtime weather of 60-70s, even 80s on occasion by late May.

I also agree winter takes a bit long on getting its ass out of here, but Chicagoans power on and think, "hhhh... let's see, I can be in a world class city like Chicago and its 50 in March, or I can be in Atlanta where it's 70. Nuff said, I'll deal with the cold for another month."
I think we had 96 this Memorial Day weekend, so it can go beyond “even 80s on occasion” up to the mid-90s, but coming from a place where you literally start sweating within 30 seconds outside for about 2-3 months out of the year because it is just that humid, I will take the winter. I really like to have 4 seasons. Plus, I think it is less gloomy when you actually have snow than when you don’t.

I lived in London for a year and found it to be miserable. It is not that cold, but it gets dark so early in winter and is so gloomy. I have never gotten as depressed when I’ve lived in places that had snow.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:15 AM

451 posts, read 364,914 times
Chicago is a cold as Syracuse and Rochester except with howling wind.

Conditioning yourself to think its "not that bad" is the healthiest thing you can do.

Its average daily low in January is about 18.5 degrees. That's similar to St. Petersburg russia. About 3 degree colder than Toronto.

Thats colder than Oslo, Helsinki or Stockholm.

That's colder than Seoul and Sapporo.

In short could it be worse? Yeah, but only in Canada and the steppe of central Asia.

So to answer your question, "How brutal are the winters really?" The truth is, just shy of coldest metropolitan weather on earth.

Hope that helps

Old 10-01-2018, 05:08 PM

459 posts, read 474,952 times
I've got frost bitten in Chicago back in the 1990's on the edge of my finger and it hurt really bad. I cut the dead skin off myself and yeah lots of pain. It's odd because I lived 4 hours north of Chicago in a colder climate and never got frost bitten for over a decade. After I cut the dead skin it grew back, but it was very painful. Listen to these guys when they tell you to dress for the conditions! I've got over heated when I lived in Florida, so pick your poison! Yes, winters can be brutal, but summers can be brutal too down south. Really depends what you like, or prefer, or can stand and not stand to be honest.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:52 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Chicago is a cold as Syracuse and Rochester except with howling wind.

Conditioning yourself to think its "not that bad" is the healthiest thing you can do.

Its average daily low in January is about 18.5 degrees. That's similar to St. Petersburg russia. About 3 degree colder than Toronto.

Thats colder than Oslo, Helsinki or Stockholm.

That's colder than Seoul and Sapporo.

In short could it be worse? Yeah, but only in Canada and the steppe of central Asia.

So to answer your question, "How brutal are the winters really?" The truth is, just shy of coldest metropolitan weather on earth.

Hope that helps
The hyperbole never stops...

Lot of places , just in the US , are colder than Chicago. Northern New England is colder than Chicago. The Dakotas, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are colder, as are most parts of Michigan and much of upstate NY. Throw in Cleveland, too, and Boston is in the ballpark (albeit slightly warmer, but snowier). The snowfall in Chicago isn't all that great, either, as huge storms are rare.

All of this information is readily available on the Internet, anyway. Why does this thread need to be repeated over and over, ad nauseum??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago