Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 10:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah H. View Post
Yep! I remember the Market Place. Even though it was pricier than the big chains I could walk there from my place on Surf street. We were lucky to have so many local options. In so many city it's all chains and not much choice, which makes shopping on line more appealing. What happens when people realize that price isn't the only thing that matters??
I agree with you, in that I love independent stores. One of the things that makes Chicago such a great city is that, it does a good job (in these modern times) of still maintaining a good number independent stores and local neighborhood places, especially in the outer neighborhoods.

Although, I don't think it is only the price that factors in to where people shop for their groceries. I think that the appearance, maintenance, and experience matter too. The few times I shopped there, I remember it smelling really bad, poor lighting, not very attractive/well maintained, food products didn't look fresh, small/cramped (not necessarily the fault of the store), kind of a dirty look to the store.

So for me personally, I do realize that price isn't the only thing that matters. Those other things matter to me as well, and when those other things are very nice, I do not mind the higher prices at all. Unfortunately, IMO, there were a lot of other issues even before you got to the price.

It was hard for me to justify going there and paying higher prices; when there are new, spacious, attractive, moderately priced places like Mariano's and Trader Joe's down the street where you can get everything you need at lower cost with a better shopping experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 01:06 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Just googled it. It was actually called “Market Place Grocer.” It was there for 90 years.
You are right. It looks like it was previously named Shop and Save per the article.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...losing-jan-15/
Yes. The Market Place. I didn't shop there much except for some really good creme curls from their bakery. Their prices for everyday stuff were pretty high. I once paid $6 for a box of cereal there! (Only did it because I wanted to try Total cereal with cranberries when it first came out, and they were the only store in the area that carried it.)

I miss Sherwyn's Health Food Store, also on Diversey just the other side of Clark. IIRC it was the largest independent health food store in the Midwest.

The Lincoln Park Market, a bit further down Clark, also closed a few years ago. Had been in business since 1955 and I don't think the place was updated in all that time, LOL. I didn't shop there often but I loved the convenience of the little post office that was in the place.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:10 PM

424 posts, read 973,573 times
Somewhat sad to see them go since national and regional chains seem to taking over everything but growing up in Wilmette we usually stuck with going to the Jewel in Plaza del Lago or Dominick's on Green Bay and Isabella (now Whole Foods) since they were closer.

When we moved up to Winnetka it was The Grand Food Mart (now called the Grand Food Center) or Dominick's (Marianos) in Northfield. Or Garden Fresh Market in Northbrook when my mother learned about the variety of ethnic food they had.

Despite being North Shore residents we never shopped at Treasure Island. I remember going to the Treasure Island on Lake Ave and Ridge once with my mother in the early 90's... it seemed a bit dingy and the meat selection didn't look that great either. I remember my mother remarking things seemed to be overpriced after checking out the produce and we left without buying anything. This could have been that one location and maybe they were having an off day...?

Though, years later I stopped by the TI in the Gold Coast on Elm when I was in college to buy some cookies since I heard a few friends raving about their baked goods. I remember them being alright but in line with what Foodstuffs would charge for their gourmet items. (I think Foodstuffs has better items anyway for their prices *dodging tomatoes being thrown by TI devotees*)

There also weren't that many people shopping except a few older Gold Coast residents. The staff seemed unhappy and checking out I asked the cashier if she had a small paper bag which she gave me a deadpan, somewhat rude "No" as an answer. Maybe she was having a bad day but walking out I thought "No wonder Treasure Island isn't doing well."

For North Sider's shopping at the Mariano's in Ravenswood, East Lakeview and the Whole Foods location's on Huron and Dearborn & also at Belmont and Ashland I'm kind of not surprised TI is going out of business. As someone who grew up on the North Shore if The Grand Food Center or Foodstuffs closed I'd be really sad.

Then again I was sad to see the Crate & Barrel close down at Plaza del Lago in Wilmette a few years ago so we all have our soft spots for stores we frequent or grew up with.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:28 AM

796 posts, read 929,925 times
this place makes whole foods look affordable by comparision.

I've only been in a few times, and that was just to grab like a couple vegetables. and EVERYTHING was soooo expensive.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:35 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
And now that Mariano's is being Krogerized, area residents will soon have a choice between sucky options, overpriced options, or sucky, overpriced options. Thankfully it looks like Woodman's is finally starting to take the Chicago-area market seriously.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
The Marianos in Lakeshore East (by Blue Cross, Aon) has definitely had a collapse the last year, in particular the employees' behaviors. It's really shocking to see the drop in morale, and I've heard multiple times it relates to Kroger's ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago