Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:14 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times

Advertisements

Denver native here. Denver has a better year-round climate than Chicago. Contrary to popular belief, Denver's winters are mild because they're sunny and dry. There are days when you go out in a t-shirt.

Property taxes are much lower in the Denver area, too. Between that and the financial mess of Illinois, people are overall leaving Illinois. That said, you can buy a perfectly nice home in Denver for far, far less than $800k. If you and your spouse are busy professionals with no kids, there's no real need for a big house and yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 11:33 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
For skiing conditions, Denver wins hands down. IL is flat as a pancake and snow is unreliable. Chicago is more affordable and offers premium rail transit (although Denver is working on it). I think Chicago has more attractions.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:44 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
Denver has better winters, beautiful weather, an exceptional outdoors, and fewer issues with crime/COLA/taxes/tensions/etc. You won't regret living there.

Always follow the momentum if you can. Denver has it hands down; Chicago is...complex.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:18 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightlights123 View Post
Denver for home ownership? Even though the average nice place is like $800k+?
Yep. Read the rest of the comments in this thread.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:41 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times
I wish my old house in Englewood had sold for $800,000!

Old 10-29-2018, 08:28 AM

629 posts, read 543,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightlights123 View Post
My boyfriend and I are deciding between Chicago and Denver. We are late 20s/early 30s and both work in finance-related industries.

We do not have kids and do not want them (other than the fur kind).
We do not want to live in a suburban area - would rather be where the action is happening.
Both of us are health-conscious and love organic food.
Want somewhere with a lot of diversity and international food options.
We both love the outdoors.
We want to own property and not rent forever.

Is there anyone who has experience with both who could offer suggestions about which city and even neighborhood might fit?
live in Denver

4 of the 6 things you mentioned are much much much much much better in Denver than Chicago

Old 10-29-2018, 08:46 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
live in Denver

4 of the 6 things you mentioned are much much much much much better in Denver than Chicago
Really? I only see one, the outdoors one. Are you sure we are looking at the same requirements?

Old 10-29-2018, 01:28 PM

749 posts, read 580,342 times
I have lived in both cities, especially Chicago.

Depends on what is most important to you.

Nightlife and music festivals--Chicago, especially in summer
More job opportunities and probably better pay?---Chicago

Weather--Denver

Outdoor activity and beauty---mountains.

Nicer newer look to city--Denver

Urban oldness and slums---Chicago

Marijuana--Denver, lol

Better government and less crime---probably Denver

Old 10-29-2018, 05:04 PM

9 posts, read 14,339 times
It's such a difficult decision, because I think they are both amazing cities. I think ultimately it will come down to where we both get the best job offers.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 10-29-2018, 07:30 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
We do not have kids and do not want them (other than the fur kind).
We do not want to live in a suburban area - would rather be where the action is happening.
Both of us are health-conscious and love organic food.
Want somewhere with a lot of diversity and international food options.
We both love the outdoors.
We want to own property and not rent forever.

Well, my brother has exactly your preferences. Every single one. And he just decided to leave Chicago, and his ultimate goal is Denver.

The main issue is you finding good jobs in Denver. Do you have any connections/leads? It is a very desirable city, and not that big, so competition for jobs can be fierce and that is an area where Chicago is a safer bet. But you sound more like a crunchy Denver type to me.

What cities are you coming from? For example, coming from Idaho and saying you want diversity and international food options gives very different expectations compared with coming from San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: