Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 580 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the area? How safe is it at night/working night shifts n moving there soon, trying to get a reading on the neighborhood. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 08:42 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,577,681 times
I believe that area is Black P Stones territory, which is strike one. That said, it all depends on your personal threshold and how comfortable you are with those elements. Little Village is definitely one of those exceptionally polarizing neighborhoods, second to Bronzeville probably, and you will see or hear some **** at some point. I certainly wouldn't go walking around at night too, and make sure to have an excellent security system; it's well worth the investment.

But overall, even with Little Village's issues, it's a functional working class neighborhood with a massive commercial strip and decent access to the pink line. You've close to Pilsen for fun, the Italian restaurants on Oakley for incredible meals, and hey, it's not like you're in Austin or West Garfield Park. You'll have 75,000 neighbors; the bad seeds probably comprise a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the population there.

You know the clichés: be street smart, don't wear gang colors, lock your doors, join local neighborhood watch or community groups, get to know your neighbors, and be very cautious walking outside after sunset.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:47 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcoping View Post
Is anyone familiar with the area? How safe is it at night/working night shifts n moving there soon, trying to get a reading on the neighborhood. Thank you
I live very close to there. Sip 22 is a nice coffee shop which recently opened and the Boulevard is beautiful, as are the apartment buildings along it. You're also right by the CA Pink Line stop and Pete's Fresh Market. Cermak bus is convenient too. Cermak Road between Kedzie and CA is pretty vibrant. Some good restaurants in there.

There are a few gangbangers around, yes. For the most part they will not bother you. While that area's no Mayberry, most of the sh-t has been going down west of that area, particularly west of Kedzie. TBideon offers good advice in terms of the "better safe than sorry" philosophy.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:59 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I believe that area is Black P Stones territory, which is strike one.
that area is firmly Latin King HQ

Old 11-01-2018, 09:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,577,681 times
You're right... Latin Kings dominate west of California. I got it backwards.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:20 AM

187 posts, read 185,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
that area is firmly Latin King HQ
I would still consider that strike one...

Old 11-05-2018, 11:58 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,226,366 times
I just stayed around there for a week in an airbnb (near Cermak and Sacramento). The area doesn't feel bad at all. It's like an extension of Pilsen with less white people. I'd go back late at night alone and never encountered anything. It's actually pretty dead at night. Also didn't hear any gun shot or witnessed anything. This part just struck me as a laid back residential neighborhood.

With that said, I reckon there is still gang activities there and things can go sideway in a hurry.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:57 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
I would still consider that strike one...
It's less than ideal!

Old 11-05-2018, 02:59 PM

7,640 posts, read 4,588,321 times
I don't know the areas now, but have been thinking of buying in Chicago off and on. When I left, Humboldt Park went all the way to Western and it was just becoming up and coming. Still, the only problems in the neighborhood were from customers, generally not the gang itself.

Steps to take:

1. Saturday night sniff test. Close to dusk on a Saturday, go drive around. See what you see. See if that's doable. Are there massive crowds on the corners or just people hanging out. Are others walking and hanging out? Do you see lots of cars with busted out windows? How about the buildings?

2. When you look at your place, judge it against the other properties. If you live there, which home is the easiest to break into. Our neighbors had a stupid system that was easy to break into and were robbed every couple of months. We never had a problem. Criminals will go for the low hanging fruit. Make sure that's not you.

3. Stop into the local coffee shop/trendy bar. See if it's lively. Talk to the people.

Finally, you can check the crime map CPD used to have if it still exists. It maps where the crime takes place and there were obvious spike neighborhoods.

A trendy bar/restaurant was always a pretty good sign. More capital then a coffee place.

Having the right gang-bangers nearby isn't necessarily terrible. Where else can you buy spray paint in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago