Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
White flight occurs when whites voluntarily leave an area because they have an irrational fear that some non-white population is moving in en masse and will ruin the neighborhood. What you are calling "black flight" is forced relocation due to conditions outside one's control - like no longer being able to afford your rent or mortgage due to increased rates. Emptying the neighborhood of its current residents is the first step of gentrification.
Whatever...blacks are leaving urban centers, which was the original point...that you denied, now it exists, qualified, of course, because the topic is “African Americans”.

I didn’t know that only blacks endure situations due to conditions outside their control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 10:28 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Whatever...blacks are leaving urban centers, which was the original point...that you denied
You used the term "flight", which is what I was addressing. There is no black equivalent to white flight. We do not have the political and economic power to drive market conditions like that. You are taking two totally different circumstances and equating them because the end result looks similar (I.e. people leaving an area). I am clarifying the difference.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
You used the term "flight", which is what I was addressing. There is no black equivalent to white flight. We do not have the political and economic power to drive market conditions like that. You are taking two totally different circumstances and equating them because the end result looks similar (I.e. people leaving an area). I am clarifying the difference.
Why wouldn’t blacks “flight” from certain areas due to social conditions? They want out as much as any other ethnic racial group in the u.s.

So white flight is only to escape from blacks, while black “leaving” is due to? How do you explain the black middle class “leaving” the cities? Nice to know that “flight” is only assigned to whites now (of course it is) while black “leaving” is limited to the financially distressed. That’s not what the data says.

So when do expect the white gentrification in, for example, roseland? Where are all these white people coing from to fill these areas, especially given Chicago and Illinois current stagnant to decline population?

What do you call an influx of Asians or Hispanics into these former black enclaves?

Old 11-16-2018, 11:55 AM

Roseland is too far from the city center to be gentrifying right now. Same for other South Side neighborhoods. But they will eventually come for those too. Why would you move to Englewood when you can be closer to work in Lawndale or Garfield Park? People said Bronzeville wouldn't gentrify but it's slowly happening. Only a short-sighted fool would pass on some of these neighborhoods. Asians and Hispanics move in because that's what immigrants and people who come from immigrants tend to do. They do not have the same fears as *other* populations. They are playing the long game.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Roseland is too far from the city center to be gentrifying right now. Same for other South Side neighborhoods. But they will eventually come for those too. Why would you move to Englewood when you can be closer to work in Lawndale or Garfield Park? People said Bronzeville wouldn't gentrify but it's slowly happening. Only a short-sighted fool would pass on some of these neighborhoods. Asians and Hispanics move in because that's what immigrants and people who come from immigrants tend to do. They do not have the same fears as *other* populations. They are playing the long game.
So you’re expecting a huge influx of whites into Chicago to eventually take over and populate all the “abandoned” black neighborhoods? Where is the black middle class moving?

And all of this is related to the original point, black flight is happening.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM

The original point is actually about a Nazi political candidate.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
The original point is actually about a Nazi political candidate.
Nice default move...lol...but wouldn’t this vast nazi movement sweeping the country and apparently Chicago take a toll on the poor blacks aka “black leaving” urban communities that would keep them safer from the hordes of white nazis?

Old 11-16-2018, 01:51 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
"The one black guy I do count as a friend." Wonder what he'd think if he knew his "friend" was referring to him that way on the internet.
Let's agree to disagree, shall we? Happy Friday.
Agreed, I don't come here to cause ill-will. But on a side note, the guy I was talking about would be on my side on this, he's lived in the city for many years, and is well aware of the problems AA's face on a daily basis due to violence; he was telling me about a shooting that happened right in front of his house last year. And, he in no way would take offense to my counting him as my "only black friend". I had other black folks as acquaintances at work, but only one friend - I truly admire this guy - he's an ex-Marine, hard working, God-fearing family man whose company I truly enjoyed, and I would trust him to have my back. Working with him is one of the few things I miss about the job I recently retired from. Have a nice weekend.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:00 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
So you’re expecting a huge influx of whites into Chicago to eventually take over and populate all the “abandoned” black neighborhoods? Where is the black middle class moving?

And all of this is related to the original point, black flight is happening.
There still is a thing called gentrification going on in cities. Southside Chicago neighborhoods, were much slower for gentrification and many will not for decades. But some have like Bronzrville.

But it does seem those neighborhoods that became Latino first. Were much quicker to gentrified closer to the core. North side especially. But gradual inroads south and further west side gradually will come.

Do you expect them to just depopulate as many did more and had worst blight removed and returned to grassland again. Never to be repopulated with new infill again? Clearly, future decades eventually will.

In Philly you live now there are examples no? Don't you think a Nazi candidate could get votes in Philly too? Especially in this era of reviving extremism since Trump took office. Philly has a considerably less % of a Latino population then Chicago too.... but larger African-American one. So more formally mostly African-American neighborhoods in Philly. Had more examples perhaps to gentrify nearer the core then Chicago. But eventually more will over coming decades.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:39 PM

15 posts, read 47,224 times
OP here. Let's get back to the Jones candidacy.

Besides knowing Jones is a Nazi and supporting him and his cause, which is self explanatory and not further discussed here, which of the following is worse than the others?
a. Dislike Democrats so much that will vote for anyone else.
b. Have no idea who is who and just look for name recognition or a classic, American last name like "Jones".
c. Believing that the election is futile as the incumbent is virtually guaranteed to win, not going to vote.

a. I think this is dangerous. The difference between Democrats and Replican should not be comparable to the difference between American and Nazi. We, Americans, died fighting them not too long ago. I may not like Democrats but I will not vote for Nazi. This kind of voting sometimes send the wrong person to office. When I made the statement that "some times we deserve the people we vote into office", I refer to this voting attitude in general, not this particular case, as Jones lost.

b. I do not know how prevalent this is but I know a few of my friend giggling admitted this when all is said and done. Potentially dangerous.

c. Is this the rationale of the Republican party by not wasting time and money to send a candidate which they know will have little chance against the Democrat incumbent, a futile attempt ? I give credit to the Republican party for outright denouncing and not endorsing Jones but I am not sure about the decision letting Jones run unopposed in the primary, automatically sending him to the main election.

What do you guys think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago