Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:14 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,871,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
That said, and realizing for the north side lakefront neighborhoods which seamlessly seem to flow right into the downtown area, are so tied to it..... don't you think Hyde Park, too, does have a "close relationship" with downtown?
I suspect a fair number of UC undergraduates have never been downtown. When I was a student, a few seemed to venture all over the city like me, but a larger number thought it was crazy to go north of 47th Street, or for that matter do anything but study and go to campus parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 11:30 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,200,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I suspect a fair number of UC undergraduates have never been downtown. When I was a student, a few seemed to venture all over the city like me, but a larger number thought it was crazy to go north of 47th Street, or for that matter do anything but study and go to campus parties.
Hence the ‘where fun comes to die’ tshirts, etc.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page...mes-to-die/amp

Old 11-23-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post

and the counter-t-shirt, "Fun isn't linear."

Old 11-27-2018, 08:52 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,475,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
While this topic is talking about Hyde Park, is there a particular flavor/culture/type of people that you get when you live there, like is it full of liberals, creative , artsy, people etc? One lady who lived in Hyde Park told me i would not fit in. She did not say why. It may be because Im a conservative Republican and that is Obama country. The only thing i can think of is the University is there and that may be an area for the liberal college student type, or something I cant think of, since I've never lived in Hyde Park. The way she was speaking, who knows, maybe its a lot of coffee house, poetry type folks (which reminds me of 1960's hippie culture).

So what is the culture of Hyde Park resemble to you? What people are drawn to Hyde Park?
There are a lot of right-wingers at the University of Chicago. If you connect with them, you'll have a substantial conservative intellectual community around you.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:05 AM

8,438 posts, read 12,123,751 times
Quote:

My favorite UofC tee shirt (after my "Spirit of Medieval Scholasticism" one) was "Study Naked".

Old 11-29-2018, 08:40 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,200,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
My favorite UofC tee shirt (after my "Spirit of Medieval Scholasticism" one) was "Study Naked".

At Madison, the equivalent would have been, “Study with Naked sorority girls next to a bunch of hippies playing thr ukelele”

Old 11-29-2018, 10:11 AM

36,917 posts, read 38,864,790 times
Well, Hyde Park doesn’t have connecting vibrant neighborhoods to downtown which is a big difference as is the lack of rapid transit. The latter can be fixed reasonably easily by changing Metra Electric’s operations especially if the Chicago crossrail plan is put into place where it can also put increased frequency for the overall line and split some of it to the West Loop and if a working solution with the South Shore Line service so people can ride it from Hyde Park to the Loop could be put in place. In terms of improving neighborhoods between Hyde Park and the Loop, that’s slowly but steadily happening (I believe the NA headquarters of a major Japanese manufacturing company DMG Mori recently announced a move to Bronzeville to be near IIT) though that upgrading of Metra Electric to rapid transit service would greatly help.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:

At Madison, the equivalent would have been, “Study with Naked sorority girls next to a bunch of hippies playing thr ukelele”
Sounds like where fun comes back alive.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:37 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,763,571 times
Quote:

I believe that should read

"Study with Naked sorority girls next to a bunch of hippies playing thr ukelele while everybody's naked butts go dizzyingly up and down, round and round, in a very campy randall-sort-of-way."

But don't listen to me as I tend towards being a tad verbose.

Good old UW, very much the midwest's answer to Cal (although not even sure it or its best bud, Stanford, or any place from Berkeley to Palo Alto, still stand in the fiery inferno once known as "the Bay Area"...with the possible exception of a couple of still surviving hippies playing the ukulele in the eucalyptical apocalypse of what once was Golden Gate Park).

Last edited by edsg25; 12-01-2018 at 04:56 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I believe that should read

"Study with Naked sorority girls next to a bunch of hippies playing thr ukelele while everybody's naked butts go dizzyingly up and down, round and round, in a very campy randall-sort-of-way."

But don't listen to me as I tend towards being a tad verbose.

Good old UW, very much the midwest's answer to Cal (although not even sure it or its best bud, Stanford, or any place from Berkeley to Palo Alto, still stand in the fiery inferno once known as "the Bay Area"...with the possible exception of a couple of still surviving hippies playing the ukulele in the eucalyptical apocalypse of what once was Golden Gate Park).
Cal has become uber-nerd territory with not a hippie to be found. They live in the area but don't go to the university. Golden Gate Park is fine, no fires any more. They were almost certainly arson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago