Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 01:43 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
It's funny sometimes. For such an amazing world-class city, we do have a lot of people (particularly online) who just have this incredibly bitter and fatalist mentality. They do tend to have been here forever, and do tend to be older as well for whatever that's worth. Maybe Chicago just eventually grinds them down. Younger people, and especially those from comparable places, tend to take Chicago's challenges in stride. Where there's a will there's a way. Also, Chicago is a talent magnet that will long-term get stronger as people look at Chicago from the coasts with it's relative affordability. It's weird...I've lived in some places that could never even DREAM of having what Chicago has. Like EVER. Like never has had, and will never have what Chicago has. And yet the disposition is much sunnier. It baffles me! Grass isn't always greener, in the case of Chicago it DEFINITELY often isn't! Of course Chicago has it's problems. ALL places do. You ultimately trade one problem for another. My travels have convinced me of this.
This is a great post that is absolutely true. Only comment to add is that the whiners seem to entirely suburban or internet based. I literally know no one in Chicago that doesn't like it here.

My wife and I used to hire Au Pairs for our kids and each found the city absolutely amazing. These are girls from China, Thailand, Spain, Germany, Portugal, and Italy. They would travel in their free time and come back and still say Chicago is their favorite.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:39 PM

403 posts, read 929,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This is a great post that is absolutely true. Only comment to add is that the whiners seem to entirely suburban or internet based. I literally know no one in Chicago that doesn't like it here.

My wife and I used to hire Au Pairs for our kids and each found the city absolutely amazing. These are girls from China, Thailand, Spain, Germany, Portugal, and Italy. They would travel in their free time and come back and still say Chicago is their favorite.
You're right. International and domestic visitors always love the city. I've met tons of them, and it's awesome to see. I always appreciate Chicago more when I visit other places around the world. I've been to some great cities lately, but Chicago is an absolutely amazing place to come home to. It's an amazing city to visit, and also most assuredly to live in.

OP: Glad you enjoyed the city. Definitely get out in to the varied neighborhoods next time. So much to see and do.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:17 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
I enjoyed the OP's observations about Chicago. Very nice.

I once saw a video clip of Chicago in the 40s. The video shows all of the major landmarks, parks, buildings. However, the skyline back then was completely different (obviously.) I enjoyed the video immensely!

I hope Chicago can turn around its problems and not become a city of only the rich and the poor.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:50 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I enjoyed the OP's observations about Chicago. Very nice.

I once saw a video clip of Chicago in the 40s. The video shows all of the major landmarks, parks, buildings. However, the skyline back then was completely different (obviously.) I enjoyed the video immensely!

I hope Chicago can turn around its problems and not become a city of only the rich and the poor.
Maybe this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6dLa7K8nyU

Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
It's funny sometimes. For such an amazing world-class city, we do have a lot of people (particularly online) who just have this incredibly bitter and fatalist mentality. They do tend to have been here forever, and do tend to be older as well for whatever that's worth. Maybe Chicago just eventually grinds them down. Younger people, and especially those from comparable places, tend to take Chicago's challenges in stride. Where there's a will there's a way. Also, Chicago is a talent magnet that will long-term get stronger as people look at Chicago from the coasts with it's relative affordability. It's weird...I've lived in some places that could never even DREAM of having what Chicago has. Like EVER. Like never has had, and will never have what Chicago has. And yet the disposition is much sunnier. It baffles me! Grass isn't always greener, in the case of Chicago it DEFINITELY often isn't! Of course Chicago has it's problems. ALL places do. You ultimately trade one problem for another. My travels have convinced me of this.
I definitely feel like many of the harshest critics have limited external experience. There are cities I like better than Chicago in certain ways, but Chicago holds it's own and really excels in certain ways, too. I could live nearly anywhere, but choose to stay here because every time I come back from trips it feels like home and I appreciate the good parts even more.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
I like the sense of space in Chicago, it’s also easy to navigate and I appreciate the slower pace, the friendliness and the food. Wish it had more street food tho. Love the architecture. It seems cleaner than NY but I think all large cities have their good and bad areas. Everyone complains about the weather but that doesn’t really bother me.

Last edited by Koji7; 12-07-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 12:12 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Only thing that should have improved in Chicago is to have nicer bridges and nicer/newer public transportation (buses & trains).

Overall Chicago is one of my favorite cities... very nice loved it! I’ll be honest I like Chicago more than New York. New York is too congested and too dirty!
Glad you enjoyed your Chicago stay... I love NYC too... Yes, the NYC subway is more modernized than our L train system, however I’ve experienced a higher frequency of train delays in NYC. Several times I’ve sat on a packed train which was inexplicably stopped on the track 20+ minutes and the NYC passengers seemed unaffected - like these delays are a normal thing.

I have rarely experienced that frequency of train delays/stoppages in Chicago, so perhaps Chicago public transportation is more dependable? Or do I just have bad luck with the NYC subway?

Old 12-08-2018, 09:23 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Glad you enjoyed your Chicago stay... I love NYC too... Yes, the NYC subway is more modernized than our L train system, however I’ve experienced a higher frequency of train delays in NYC. Several times I’ve sat on a packed train which was inexplicably stopped on the track 20+ minutes and the NYC passengers seemed unaffected - like these delays are a normal thing.

I have rarely experienced that frequency of train delays/stoppages in Chicago, so perhaps Chicago public transportation is more dependable? Or do I just have bad luck with the NYC subway?
I haven't ridden the NYC subway in a while, but I always remembered it as being old and dirty, much more so than Chicago. Although, maybe they have gone through renovations. Chicago has been slowly renovating buses and trains. There has been new seating added, although there are still more renovations to go.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:11 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I haven't ridden the NYC subway in a while, but I always remembered it as being old and dirty, much more so than Chicago. Although, maybe they have gone through renovations. Chicago has been slowly renovating buses and trains. There has been new seating added, although there are still more renovations to go.
The NYC upgrades have been rolled back due to their cost.

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/4/3/17193...tiative-budget

Quote:
Only 19 of the 32 stations targeted were upgraded before funds ran low
Quote:
But as with many things related to the MTA, those costs ballooned when contractors began work and discovered rotting infrastructure within the stations. The current average cost to upgrade each station, the Wall Street Journal reports, is $43 million.
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/10...r-renovations/

Quote:
Decorated with blue sky mosaics, new digital signs, and glass barriers, the 72nd Street station by Central Park West was reopened this month after being closed for five months of construction.

Exactly one week after returning to service, commuters were back to trudging through flooded stairwells.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:37 PM

1,022 posts, read 773,436 times
I do wish the CTA could do something about all the homeless people bugging us for money. Saturday I rode 5 different trains and on each one I had one bugging me for money. On two of them it was the same guy and when I told him I had nothing extra to give he said I was a liar then said it was gods day and if I lie I Die.

Then he continued to insist I give him money. After I finally managed to get him to move on he went and bothered everyone else on the car and again those who said they had nothing to give he said the same thing calling them liars and you lie you die. People should not have to put up with that when all they want to do is ride the train and get somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago