Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 07:41 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

personne, of course there's room for interpretation. And these members were part of organized crime. But if I could be so bold as to take this position, and I am open to feedback, but the Outfit areas (in comparison to other ethnic areas with gangs) were clean, no graffiti, had fathers in the homes (when they were not imprisoned) and mostly pushed their children to NOT become educated. Children could play and grandmothers could walk to the corner store to get groceries without fear of being shot. that does NOT seem to be in the case in other "gang" areas. Also, while Don Accardo was in charge, my understanding is Narcotics sales were essentially prohibited... any other thoughts, please share. Take care- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 12-16-2018, 07:43 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
OOps, see above: The sentence was MEANT to say: "... mostly pushed their sons to NOT join in the gang and to become educated. My apologies- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 12-16-2018, 08:06 AM

1,261 posts, read 567,099 times
Ugh I was in NYC last night all the trash bags and trash all over the streets as there were no other place to throw it. Disgusting and embarrassing. This was in Midtown Manhattan!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:31 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Seems like a weird thing to be peeping at, someone's bride ...
That would be weird...lol..dang iPad spelling butts in way too much

Old 12-16-2018, 10:42 AM

1,022 posts, read 773,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Ugh I was in NYC last night all the trash bags and trash all over the streets as there were no other place to throw it. Disgusting and embarrassing. This was in Midtown Manhattan!
I have actually had New Yorkers tell me that the filth in New York is part of its charm! No idea how anyone can feel that way but that is what they said.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
I have actually had New Yorkers tell me that the filth in New York is part of its charm! No idea how anyone can feel that way but that is what they said.

Had they told me the crowd, noise, and congested I would agree. But the trash

Old 12-16-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post

Had they told me the crowd, noise, and congested I would agree. But the trash
I wonder if they really believe that or if it is something they try to tell themselves, who knows. A friend of mine calls the city New Yuck instead of New York lol.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:31 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post

I think that's all they can say. They're stuck with it and there is no solution. It's a *serious* problem. Quite literally huge piles of garbage all along nearly every street in front of every commercial building. I was there three weeks ago (lower Manhattan-- granted the streets are tighter than Midtown) and on two occassions had to cross the street to be able to walk down the sidewalk.

They can say it's charming, but New Yorkers know it's a serious problem. It stinks too. Not charming. Not even for a millisecond.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:57 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Chicago was once a magnificent city.

I was born in 1943; I lived in the Chicago area until 1967. This would never have happened in those days. The police allowed no bums east of the river. Skid Row was on the west side. The Loop was clean and safe; no one molested pedestrians. Panhandling on trains was unthinkable.

I'd love to do my Christmas shopping on the State Street of old, but not on the horror that it has become.
Happy in Wyoming, good for you in your isolation. I work in the Loop every day, and Chicago in my opinion is far more magnificent than in 1967, particularly the Loop and Michigan Avenue. I think the Hancock was finished in 1969 and the Sears Tower in 1974. You are sadly mistaken about your ideas about Chicago since you haven't lived here for an astounding 51 years, more than many people have been alive. The west Loop back then was skid row, instead of new and rehabbed housing, home to the McDonald's Corporation, and chic restaurants; State Street is far from a horror, the only thing that I don't like is Macy's replacing Marshall Fields, but it is bustling with students and shoppers; the south Loop was desolation instead of sleek high rises and beautiful townhomes and McCormick Place; North Michigan must have been asleep without Water Tower Place and the Hancock. The Loop is clean and safe, and panhandling on trains happens in every city that has mass transportation. I have never seen any molested in the Loop, BTW.

Millennium Park was railroad tracks, and Lake Shore Drive was a dangerous "S" curve. Things always look better back in the good old days; but for the Loop and the north side, these are the good old days.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I think that's all they can say. They're stuck with it and there is no solution. It's a *serious* problem. Quite literally huge piles of garbage all along nearly every street in front of every commercial building. I was there three weeks ago (lower Manhattan-- granted the streets are tighter than Midtown) and on two occassions had to cross the street to be able to walk down the sidewalk.

They can say it's charming, but New Yorkers know it's a serious problem. It stinks too. Not charming. Not even for a millisecond.
I seriously could not imagine living like that! Walking among trash all the time and I am sensitive to smells so I would be in hell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago