Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 561,385 times

Advertisements

So I’ve been in Chicago as first time visitor for 3 days now. I wanted to let you guys know that Chicago is a very beautiful and great mega city! I love the diverse architecture, the beautiful skyscrapers and its density, how super clean and well maintained the city is, all the amenities and plenty things to see/do and friendly people! Shopping is excellent in this city - better than New York City! You have basically every single chain and non-chain stores, restaurants and department stores as well as shopping malls. In New York City you must go to the suburbs for certain chain stores, restaurants and bigger malls unlike in Chicago all in the city center! Things were reasonable prices.

Christkindlmarket was amazing! Feels like being at a Christmas market in Europe! Magnificient Mile, Michigan Ave, State St, etc. great streets! The area by Trump tower was extra beautiful with the river and architectural view. Lake Michigan and Willis tower nice view as well. I liked the Christmas lights and decorations everywhere nicely done. Chicago’s shopping streets is much nicer and cleaner than New York’s Fifth Ave to be honest. Chicago’s grid locked streets were easy to navigate.
Only thing that should have improved in Chicago is to have nicer bridges and nicer/newer public transportation (buses & trains).

Overall Chicago is one of my favorite cities... very nice loved it! I’ll be honest I like Chicago more than New York. New York is too congested and too dirty!

Old 12-04-2018, 08:49 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,400,883 times
Glad you're enjoying your visit.

You're likely riding the CTA "L" trains. Yeah, they're barebones transportation.

The nicer trains are the Metra lines, which go to/from the suburbs. They are bi-level with big comfy seats and some even have bathrooms.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:48 PM

13 posts, read 18,071 times
Angry All does not glitter in Chicago

Hey, thanks for complimenting our city. However, it sounds like you were hanging out in the downtown area, where tourists tend to go. That's fine, and best practice, in terms of safety and comfort.

Unfortunately, that is only one area of the city. I have lived here all my life. I also have a job that takes me EVERYWHERE, from Howard Street (7600 North) to Altgeld Gardens (130 blocks south of downtown). Trust me, many areas are as different from downtown as the Olympics is from a Medicaid nursing home. Too many neighborhoods have significant amounts of decay: Dilapidated buildings, vacant lots, trash on the ground, gang members, aggressive panhandlers, homeless mentally ill people, gunfire, no grocery stores (only liquor stores, Dollar General, and fast food joints), etc. Resources are not evenly distributed to all areas, at all. Many have had years upon years of disinvestment and generational poverty.

I wish all neighborhoods were as nice as downtown, but sadly they are not.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:49 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Only thing that should have improved in Chicago is to have nicer bridges and nicer/newer public transportation (buses & trains).
Most people love most of the bridges - the lift-bridges in the center of Chicago are historic and it's one of the biggest collections of that type of bridge in the world. So, each to their own, but we're not changing those. Sorry you don't like them, but that's more about your taste than about their objective qualities.

As for transportation, I actually laughed when i read that, considering you're comparing us to New York. Yes, New York's trains are more extensive, but having been to both cities the trains in Chicago are as new or newer than New Yorks, the stations in Chicago are, on average, in MUCH better condition than New York, and Chicago buses are much, much, MUCH better than New York buses. So, I don't know what you're seeing that makes you say what you did, but Chicago's transit is objectively in better condition than New York's, but New York has more subways and more stations, so its rail is more comprehensive. In Chicago you can still get around fine with transit, but you have to use buses more often, but our buses are better than New York buses, so that's not sooo bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Overall Chicago is one of my favorite cities... very nice loved it! I’ll be honest I like Chicago more than New York. New York is too congested and too dirty!
I'm glad you like Chicago - I do, too!

Old 12-05-2018, 07:18 AM

4,618 posts, read 3,166,396 times
NJmann, I'm glad to hear you have enjoyed your visit. I am not a resident, by Milwaukee Wisconsin is only a 1.5 hour journey so I typically visit weekly. By now, I just blend in as a native and often people think I'm from here when I am able to pinpoint where the streets are, parks, libraries, etc.... I have never been to new Jersey, so I can not compare. But Chicago is amazing. the diversity, the people, the energy of the city. please take back your positive comments to others who may have this negative view that Chicago is completely dirty and crime ridden and unfriendly. I've had to put Milwaukeeans in their place with this attitude, many times! Take care, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,405,467 times
Great review. If you loved Chicago NOW, you need to come visit in the summer. It's even 10x better.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:57 AM

4,618 posts, read 3,166,396 times
frimpter928, how true! Agreed, NJmann see if you can make it back for a summer trip. So many street festivals to enjoy!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 12-05-2018, 12:45 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,433,364 times
What is the allure of Christkindle market? It seems like all the stalls there are selling the same 3-4 different items and it's very expensive to buy anything.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:01 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,571,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
What is the allure of Christkindle market? It seems like all the stalls there are selling the same 3-4 different items and it's very expensive to buy anything.
It's Christmasy, my family goes every year and we love it. I noticed they have raclette this year, which I absolutely love. Haven't seen it before there

Old 12-05-2018, 01:52 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,765,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Great review. If you loved Chicago NOW, you need to come visit in the summer. It's even 10x better.
yes. but also 10 times of more crowded. Chicago in the summer is a huge tourist magnet. That's great...but it does come at a price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago