Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom will you vote for Mayor in 2019?
GARRY McCARTHY 18 26.09%
SUSANA MENDOZA 4 5.80%
TONI PRECKWINKLE 5 7.25%
PAUL VALLAS 12 17.39%
AMARA ENYIA 1 1.45%
GERY CHICO 2 2.90%
BILL DALEY 8 11.59%
LORI LIGHTFOOT 9 13.04%
DOROTHY BROWN 0 0%
WILLIE WILSON 3 4.35%
JA’MAL GREEN 1 1.45%
JERRY JOYCE 1 1.45%
LA SHAWN K. FORD 0 0%
BOB FIORETTI 2 2.90%
NEAL SALES-GRIFFIN 1 1.45%
JOHN KOZLAR 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 07:54 AM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
What does being unattractive have to do with anything?

Lightfoot has experience, just not as a politician. She is miles and miles better than Preckwinkle. Her website has pretty thorough policies to try and apply day one, that if she doesn't walk the walk, it's very easy to call her out on it.

-She also wants an elected school board, which everyone here seems to be behind.
-Term limits for the mayor
-She isn't connected to any of the corrupt machine politicians like Burke.
-More oversight on TIFs
-Bar city employees from taking outside employees that profit from city business
-More transparency with FOIA requests
-Random, but look at her thoughts on electric buses (section 5). Seems pretty appealing from a fiscal standpoint, aside from the environmental benefits. https://lightfootforchicago.com/wp-c...sit_policy.pdf
-She wants to tackle the lead in drinking water problem - this might be the most difficult financially to actually accomplish.

It's unfortunate that Vallas couldn't make the runoff. It seemed that his campaign was a bit lightly staffed to have an effective campaign, but it seems like Lightfoot at least has some well-thought out ideas. I think dtcbnd03 brought up a good point about who the other candidates would choose as a running mate.

Preckwinkle couldn't even make it to her campaign event last night at her scheduled time because it's all about Toni.
I have no horse in this race being in the suburbs but I want to see LIghtfoot win. It makes me kind of ill that Ed Burke won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I'm pretty concerned, and it has nothing to do with the race, gender, or physical appearance of the two winners. It has to do with the fact that one of the candidates is completely inexperienced and the other one has a proven record of tax and spend and massive public employee Union support. I hope I'm wrong. I guess we'll see.
If either of those things bother you even 5% as much as Emanuel or anyone named Daley bothers you, then I don't think I can help you. Good luck, I guess? The rest of us are moving forward, with or without you.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Also let it be known that no real examples of fascism were ever cited.
Following the news today? I'm not sure why you need me to point out the obvious when even the right-wing propaganda "news" outlets have as their lead story one of the p*ssy-grabber-in-chief's closest associates confirming in testimony all of the things that people who have been paying even a little bit of attention have known all along.

In fact, it's apparently such a big story that it's hard to even find a national headline about the fact that Chicago is about to have an African-American female non-Daley mayor.

Reality's a bummer for you low-information types these days, isn't it? It must be getting difficult to ignore.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:24 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Following the news today? I'm not sure why you need me to point out the obvious when even the right-wing propaganda "news" outlets have as their lead story one of the p*ssy-grabber-in-chief's closest associates confirming in testimony all of the things that people who have been paying even a little bit of attention have known all along.

In fact, it's apparently such a big story that it's hard to even find a national headline about the fact that Chicago is about to have an African-American female non-Daley mayor.

Reality's a bummer for you low-information types these days, isn't it? It must be getting difficult to ignore.
Careful, your TDS is showing. You conveniently left out that the headline reads, "He's a Fake Witness" and "Republicans trash Cohen as convicted liar, dismiss claims about Trump's misdeeds". Anyway, Trump has nothing to do with the "Chicago Mayoral Race" so head on over to the politics forum if you need to foot stomp and gnash your teeth over Trump.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
You conveniently left out that the headline reads, "He's a Fake Witness" and "Republicans trash Cohen as convicted liar, dismiss claims about Trump's misdeeds".
Christ, I don't even see those headlines on Fox News, let alone in any actual news sources. WTF are you reading?! Breitbart? TASS? Bob Jones University's student paper? Trump's Twitter feed?

Old 02-27-2019, 11:34 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Who are the idiots who voted for Preckwinkle and Ed Burke? Just when I thought voters in this city couldn't get any dumber, they do more to surprise me.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:35 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
I kinda don't think Preckwinkle is that many people's second choice, whereas Lightfoot is probably second choice for many of the people who originally voted for other candidates. Mainly I think that because of name recognition. People go with people they know as a first choice, but tend to be more open in a second choice. Many, many people are fed up with machine politics, and all of those people will vote for Lightfoot. Preckwinkle has an experienced ground organization that will likely keep her competitive, but I also wouldn't be at all surprised if Lightfoot wins by an extremely lopsided result, even as big as 60-40.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:41 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
If either of those things bother you even 5% as much as Emanuel or anyone named Daley bothers you, then I don't think I can help you. Good luck, I guess? The rest of us are moving forward, with or without you.
I probably would have voted for Emanuel in this field. I don't like Daley and didn't vote for him, but faced with a choice between him and Preckwinkle I would have taken Daley. Anyway, as I will bear some of the consequences for your mindless voting patterns, I will need that good luck. Thank you.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I kinda don't think Preckwinkle is that many people's second choice, whereas Lightfoot is probably second choice for many of the people who originally voted for other candidates. Mainly I think that because of name recognition. People go with people they know as a first choice, but tend to be more open in a second choice. Many, many people are fed up with machine politics, and all of those people will vote for Lightfoot. Preckwinkle has an experienced ground organization that will likely keep her competitive, but I also wouldn't be at all surprised if Lightfoot wins by an extremely lopsided result, even as big as 60-40.
Are the people fed up with machine politics largely living within city limits, or are they mostly suburbanites? It might be the latter..
It also might not matter much at all just who the Mayor of Chicago is, in the end..

Old 02-27-2019, 01:11 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
Lightfoot has a few good ideas (limiting red light cameras, mayoral term limits) against a whole smattering of bad ones (her campaign page and interview responses overuse the adjective "progressive" with the likes of which I have not seen before).

Sure, a Lightfoot victory would be one against "the machine," but she would merely replace the old machine with a new one, full of her progressive ilk. Preckwinkle would be a total disaster and Lightfoot would certainly be transformative... though she would likely want to "transform" Chicago into a "liberal utopia" a la Portland and San Francisco, neither of which have aaaaaaaaaaany problems whatsoever...

I'm not even entertaining the TDS directed at me above. I still don't think there was any real examples of Trump's fascism cited up there.

Last edited by aga412; 02-27-2019 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago