Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom will you vote for Mayor in 2019?
GARRY McCARTHY 18 26.09%
SUSANA MENDOZA 4 5.80%
TONI PRECKWINKLE 5 7.25%
PAUL VALLAS 12 17.39%
AMARA ENYIA 1 1.45%
GERY CHICO 2 2.90%
BILL DALEY 8 11.59%
LORI LIGHTFOOT 9 13.04%
DOROTHY BROWN 0 0%
WILLIE WILSON 3 4.35%
JA’MAL GREEN 1 1.45%
JERRY JOYCE 1 1.45%
LA SHAWN K. FORD 0 0%
BOB FIORETTI 2 2.90%
NEAL SALES-GRIFFIN 1 1.45%
JOHN KOZLAR 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 01:15 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Lightfoot has a few good ideas (limiting red light cameras, mayoral term limits) against a whole smattering of bad ones (her campaign page and interview responses overuse the adjective "progressive" with the likes of which I have not seen).

Sure, a Lightfoot victory would be one against "the machine," but she would merely replace the old machine with a new one, full of her progressive ilk. Preckwinkle would be a total disaster and Lightfoot would certainly be transformative... though she would likely want to "transform" Chicago into a "liberal utopia" a la Portland and San Francisco, neither of which have aaaaaaaaaaany problems whatsoever...

I'm not even entertaining the TDS directed at me above. I still don't think there was any real examples of Trump's fascism cited up there.
Not even sure WHAT that was all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 01:31 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Not even sure WHAT that was all about.
Eh, threads get off topic. And on occasion take a turn for the very, very bizarre.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:08 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,860,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Lightfoot has a few good ideas (limiting red light cameras, mayoral term limits) against a whole smattering of bad ones (her campaign page and interview responses overuse the adjective "progressive" with the likes of which I have not seen before).

Sure, a Lightfoot victory would be one against "the machine," but she would merely replace the old machine with a new one, full of her progressive ilk. Preckwinkle would be a total disaster and Lightfoot would certainly be transformative... though she would likely want to "transform" Chicago into a "liberal utopia" a la Portland and San Francisco, neither of which have aaaaaaaaaaany problems whatsoever...

I'm not even entertaining the TDS directed at me above. I still don't think there was any real examples of Trump's fascism cited up there.
I don't know what her financial positions are. I don't think there is much room to raise property taxes or sales taxes given where they are already, so spending will need to be cut, which is typically not on the "progressive" agenda. At least she is not as beholden to the unions as Preckwinkle.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:14 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I don't know what her financial positions are. I don't think there is much room to raise property taxes or sales taxes given where they are already, so spending will need to be cut, which is typically not on the "progressive" agenda. At least she is not as beholden to the unions as Preckwinkle.
Right. At this point there's two choices. A machine politician and an outsider. I guess choice 3 is to note vote.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
This is true, but many interviews cite her wanting to seek out "progressive revenue sources" for the city. How that doesn't translate into some sort of tax I don't know. She does back the IL constitution amendment for a progressive income tax.

I know, I'm surprised I know anything about her considering I'm not informed.

Last edited by aga412; 02-27-2019 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 04:09 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
I raise their identity because it is important. A city that is 1/6th white males didn't need it's 55th white male mayor out of 57, and we (WE, people who actually reside and vote in Chicago, not you) sure as holy effing ****e didn't need another Daley. Are you kidding? Several decades of one family ruling a city and bankrupting it are enough.
Who cares about whether or not a candidate is a white male? A white male is capable of being sensitive and attuned to the needs of a diverse community, you know. Lightfoot is a black lesbian married to a white woman. Is she really more representative of Chicago, if you want to go down that road? Bill Daley should not be saddled with his family's reputation. Chicago has a weak-mayor system anyway. Emanuel is the best mayor Chicago has had in modern times. Yet, you people want to run him out of town. He would be welcomed back to the North Shore with open arms.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Who cares about whether or not a candidate is a white male? A white male is capable of being sensitive and attuned to the needs of a diverse community, you know. Lightfoot is a black lesbian married to a white woman. Is she really more representative of Chicago, if you want to go down that road? Bill Daley should not be saddled with his family's reputation. Chicago has a weak-mayor system anyway. Emanuel is the best mayor Chicago has had in modern times. Yet, you people want to run him out of town. He would be welcomed back to the North Shore with open arms.
I see you're unfamiliar with the rules of the "Intersectionality and Identity Politics" game where superficial characteristics outweigh real-world experience.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:07 AM

631 posts, read 1,092,918 times
Preck is going to win it.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times
I think it'll depend on who gets out the vote and, importantly, endorsements. Poor African American wards favored Wilson by a large margin, and Preck did well enough in those wards to carry her over Daley, who undoubtedly lost conservative votes to Joyce (and Vallas and McCarthy). However, if Wilson comes out for Lightfoot, I could easily see those wards sway to her favor.

Conservatives are not particularly good at strategic voting or selecting the lesser of evils. Very self-righteous group, which is why they helped give the Governor's Mansion to JB by refusing to vote for a Republican who supported abortion rights and let trans-gendered people use the restrooms. So those Joyce/Daley wards on the NW and SW sides will probably have very low turnout, if I had to guess, to the point of perhaps being a non-factor.

The gentrified and gentrifying neighborhoods will pull solid for Lightfoot, as they did on Tuesday. Her story just pushes the right progressive buttons, and these folks vote. Preckwinkle will take her south shore wards that she won on Tuesday. The Hispanic wards were pretty close between these two so, again, this might fall to endorsements.

One thing's for sure, it'll be interesting!

Old 02-28-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post

Conservatives are not particularly good at strategic voting or selecting the lesser of evils. Very self-righteous group, which is why they helped give the Governor's Mansion to JB by refusing to vote for a Republican who supported abortion rights and let trans-gendered people use the restrooms.
So true - which is why I feel like I can never totally fall in line with those folks. They don't think pragmatically at all and would rather stand on their moral high horses and allow someone who has *mild* tendencies they dislike (I wouldn't go around calling Rauner the biggest trans advocate/abortion advocate out there) to lose and then allow someone with much more extreme views on both subjects sail into office.

Ives' self-serving primary challenge didn't help matters either. Heresy by Illinois conservative standards, but I can't stand her for this reason.

Very true that Republicans/conservatives will be a non-factor, I don't think any candidate really appeals to either of them too much and will ultimately stay home. It's tough to say - the lemmings will be out in full force for Preckwinkle, but the gentrified areas will be solid Lightfoot (as despite what Toni says, she certainly isn't "hip" to those people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago