Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 11:35 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Arizona and Florida also have a high concentration of retirees, which means a lot of the people who have money aren't currently earning it. This ranking says nothing about household wealth-- it's strictly about current annual earned incomes.
I know, it was sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 11:59 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,222,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
I live in Cabrini Green as one of those households mentioned in the article... do you want me to shower my posts with unicorns and rainbow kisses? Wtf is your problem man
I know you would not.... Give us rainbows and unicorns about Chicago's great things too. Again.... You remain in Chicago and if a Professional? You can choose a better city if you want. Sorry if you are not and feeling getting priced out. Gentrification isn't stopping. But again, no one doubts two Chicago's. Nor anything is getting cheaper. But if you read thru other major city threads? You find same issues.... taxes rising and rents etc.

Some run with the negatives alone .... some maintain positives on their city... if by choice especially. To Shower ... should eliminate any personal problem I'd say too.

Best to stay clean .... that kind of showering yes... and no problems to alert others too in your ID .....

Last edited by DavePa; 12-19-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 01:54 PM

2,180 posts, read 1,825,735 times
Car-centric (read, newer) cities will not be able to support the population influxes they are getting by any other way except sprawl. Yuck.

The sheer expense of retro-fitting an efficient public transportation system (trains, subways) in a newer city is nearly impossible, at least not without such significant cost that the city/state will have no choice but to raise taxes to support it. That's even if it's structurally possible.

So what will happen to these cities? 1) some infill will occur to try to urbanize and bring people to the downtown. But these people will likely not want to get rid of their cars. So they will have to walk to work, or still drive, causing even more horrific traffic than they already have (you listening Austin?) and/or 2) they will attempt to put in some tram system to accommodate a small percentage of what they need - it will help a little, and it will cost taxpayers.

Neither of these solutions will be better than what older cities already have. A fully developed, urban rapid transit system that people actually use.

My point? Places like Arizona and Florida and even Texas are going to run into this as people keep flocking there. And unless you live way out in the exurbs and don't care to be near a city, you won't be able to replicate what you have in a New York, Boston, Chicago, etc. You'll be warmer, though.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:15 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 491,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

My point? Places like Arizona and Florida and even Texas are going to run into this as people keep flocking there. And unless you live way out in the exurbs and don't care to be near a city, you won't be able to replicate what you have in a New York, Boston, Chicago, etc. You'll be warmer, though.
There are two flaws in your assessment. #1 you believe cities in AZ, TX and FL have to replicate NYC, Chicago and Boston. This is a horrible mindset. It’s exactly why some people relocate from NYC and think Chicago sucks. These people expect NYC in Chicago, instead of appreciating the qualities that make Chicago different from NYC. All cities have pros and cons. People should appreciate different areas of the country for what they offer, instead of expecting them to be like fill in the city. You like walking and someone else may like driving. It’s okay to have different tastes.

#2 All of the cities in TX, FL and AZ have plenty of room to become more dense at the core if their growing populations demand it without requiring mass transportation.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:53 AM

1,080 posts, read 832,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I know, it was sarcasm.
I was responding to a different poster, and making an additional point, but good to know.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:27 PM

2,180 posts, read 1,825,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
There are two flaws in your assessment. #1 you believe cities in AZ, TX and FL have to replicate NYC, Chicago and Boston. This is a horrible mindset. It’s exactly why some people relocate from NYC and think Chicago sucks. These people expect NYC in Chicago, instead of appreciating the qualities that make Chicago different from NYC. All cities have pros and cons. People should appreciate different areas of the country for what they offer, instead of expecting them to be like fill in the city. You like walking and someone else may like driving. It’s okay to have different tastes.

#2 All of the cities in TX, FL and AZ have plenty of room to become more dense at the core if their growing populations demand it without requiring mass transportation.
Some people want to replicate the bigger eastern cities, and some don't.

The point is, don't expect it to be the same.

Expect much more car reliance.

Sure, plenty of room for more infill. Never said there wasn't. But these booming cities all have horrible traffic problems, and without train systems, they will just get worse as they continue to boom. I couldn't even imagine Chicago without trains. It would be a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: