Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 05:27 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Seems it's time to move this thread too. To the Politics forum as the other recently. Praising Trump as the new thread topic means it's time.

My 401k is seeing how much trust the markets have in Trump making deals with the Chinese. He no doubt .... will say something to spoil things. Now tariffs on the EU at the same time.

I still say this belief Trump is all and only America first..... basically has limits IF it isn't profitable for him and his family. He DID NOT SET A EXAMPLE in his own clothes line or Ivanka's.

Why did he not use a AMERICAN MAMUFACTURER FOR THEIR LINE OF CLOTHES?

I hope for the best. But the markets are showing little faith in and deals. Spare the still better today. I go by the current markets performance.

*** AGAIN, TIME FOR THIS THREAD TO GO TO THE POLITICS FORUM. IF TRUMP IS THE TOPIC. Try telling the EXTREME RIGHT posters there. That Chicago isn't a Libs, Progressives city ..... that may as well be in California.
I guess now if you recognize economic realities, you're a Trump supporter. Sigh. FWIW, I'm a lifelong Democrat. Well, I was until it started to become clear they were selling out the working class.

Anyway, how has the stock market been doing under Trump as a whole? Very good I'd say. So you think that was all to benefit himself and his family? Clever theory but I'm not sure how plausible that is. If he wanted to keep making stuff in China, he could have just supported Obama's picked successor Hillary and brought in the stuff duty free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 06:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yes, fair trade to create exports is the way to go, though I believe it's a bit more complex than just eliminating all of the tariffs. We have to get China to play by the rules, which will take some arm twisting. It'd be nice if they eliminated some of theirs, and maybe even started respecting basic human rights, in the process.
Yes, it is more complex. The problem is, none of the tariffs implemented by our ‘fearless leader’ have generated the intended effects.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:20 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Um, eliminating the tariffs will only keep the China trade imbalance completely out of whack and keep manufacturing centers like Chicago in the manufacturing doldrums.
Are you really that comfortable getting into the weeds?

Start diving into peer reviewed literature, and you will quickly learn that trade imbalance is more beneficial than tariffs, especially to the average consumer. You cannot simply glance over the fact that if goods are more expensive for consumers here, other products here also may not substitute, so there is less economic activity overall.

Only certain types of manufacturing will continue to exist in the Chicago area/US. The false idea that we will be going back to the 1950s needs to be stopped. We are an advanced economy, producing a higher manufacturing output with less total manufacturing jobs required.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:36 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
I guess now if you recognize economic realities, you're a Trump supporter. Sigh. FWIW, I'm a lifelong Democrat. Well, I was until it started to become clear they were selling out the working class.

Anyway, how has the stock market been doing under Trump as a whole? Very good I'd say. So you think that was all to benefit himself and his family? Clever theory but I'm not sure how plausible that is. If he wanted to keep making stuff in China, he could have just supported Obama's picked successor Hillary and brought in the stuff duty free!
What .... this up and down with downs removing gains by far. How many things is Trump going to blame it on? Interest rates and Fed? Obama, Pelosi, Clinton? He did say it would be much higher if not for HS Tariffs. I want more then a couple % gains in a what he calls a great economy.

Again.... the markets have little faith in Trump getting his deal. He finds a way to say something to make it a .... well guess next time. I voted for Trump and Obama before. It is far less likely I would vote fr Trump again. He says things totally un-presidential and his anger and revenge eats this man. Now this Syria thing.

Just his deals to lower his taxes for his Trump Hotel interest on Trump Tower Chicago alone.... shows his corruption too.

Then don't forget ..... Alderman Ed Burke represented Trump's Property tax issues, between 2006 and 2018 when the Feds raided Burke's office. So honestly, when Trump points corruption at others ..... I think he can look in the mirror at himself. He clearly had plenty dealings with corrupt politicians. MAKING DEALS UNDER THE TABLE TOO. Sorry.

I do thank Trump for getting Trump Tower Chicago built. I all believe it had much Deutschebank money involved too?

But I'm done. Off topic and I'll be the one scolded.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Yes, it is more complex. The problem is, none of the tariffs implemented by our ‘fearless leader’ have generated the intended effects.
Right now, many of the negative consequences of the "Trade War" are speculative. The bottom line is the U.S. economy is roaring, the stock market has been largely strong, and some jobs are coming back. Also, somebody had to put pressure on China. No one in prior administrations did, and no one in the rest of the world was or is going to.

We are dealing with a country which has had its way on trade since the 1990s and does not understand the concept of democracy. Anybody who thought Trump, or any other administration, was going to snap their fingers and get them to come into fair practices was deluding themselves, at best.

Democrats criticize Trump's tariffs but what is their alternative? One usually doesn't follow, beyond maybe waving towards a "global collective approach." LOL! In other words, everybody stand back and continue doing nothing.

Personally, I think it is premature to judge the effects of the tariffs at this point. But I believe it is the right course.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
What .... this up and down with downs removing gains by far. How many things is Trump going to blame it on? Interest rates and Fed? Obama, Pelosi, Clinton? He did say it would be much higher if not for HS Tariffs. I want more then a couple % gains in a what he calls a great economy.

Again.... the markets have little faith in Trump getting his deal. He finds a way to say something to make it a .... well guess next time. I voted for Trump and Obama before. It is far less likely I would vote fr Trump again. He says things totally un-presidential and his anger and revenge eats this man. Now this Syria thing.

Just his deals to lower his taxes for his Trump Hotel interest on Trump Tower Chicago alone.... shows his corruption too.

Then don't forget ..... Alderman Ed Burke represented Trump's Property tax issues, between 2006 and 2018 when the Feds raided Burke's office. So honestly, when Trump points corruption at others ..... I think he can look in the mirror at himself. He clearly had plenty dealings with corrupt politicians. MAKING DEALS UNDER THE TABLE TOO. Sorry.

But I'm done. Off topic and I'll be the one scolded.
The stock market has been doing well overall since 2017. You're talking about some activity over the last few days. I'd take a deep breath, ignore the media hype about signs of signs of signs of a recession, and look at stocks as the long-term investment they are.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:23 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
The stock market has been doing well overall since 2017. You're talking about some activity over the last few days. I'd take a deep breath, ignore the media hype about signs of signs of signs of a recession, and look at stocks as the long-term investment they are.
Ok one last post. I turn 60 in Dec. I was hoping to take my one 401k and roll it over to a IRA or re-invest only a portion. A recession we all know .... will eventually come. I do not want to be in the market then.

I'm really considering retiring at 62. I was born in 59' if in 60' you can't. No Medicare of course but I'm in excellent heath and fit. But I tire of this competitive workforce. Takes its toll. My friend got axed as a boss of many. Own office and traveling expenses and car. He helped make the company in the region.

But never had a degree. They changed the rules he needed one. Of course...... his time was short then 30+ years meant nothing. He literally is working in a Nursing home as a cook now. Lost half or more of his 401k's living on far a while.

I would not want to be young starting out today. But that is me. I'm a Moderate so my votes go both ways. Just saying the long hall is short for me.

Now I'm done here. All can go back to Trump as a topic.....

Old 10-08-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Start diving into peer reviewed literature, and you will quickly learn that trade imbalance is more beneficial than tariffs, especially to the average consumer. You cannot simply glance over the fact that if goods are more expensive for consumers here, other products here also may not substitute, so there is less economic activity overall.

Only certain types of manufacturing will continue to exist in the Chicago area/US. The false idea that we will be going back to the 1950s needs to be stopped. We are an advanced economy, producing a higher manufacturing output with less total manufacturing jobs required.
The status quo is also supporting a brutal regime which is growing in strength and does not respect human rights. Just remember that when you talk about how we're just efficiently ordering global resources like in a good economic textbook. China doesn't play or trade fair for one. And for another, they are becoming a national security threat. Mock those who think we can and should bring manufacturing back all you want, but that is a real concern - one harder to ignore with what's going on in Hong Kong.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Ok one last post. I turn 60 in Dec. I was hoping to take my one 401k and roll it over to a IRA or re-invest only a portion. A recession we all know .... will eventually come. I do not want to be in the market then.

I'm really considering retiring at 62. I was born in 59' if in 60' you can't. No Medicare of course but I'm in excellent heath and fit. But I tire of this competitive workforce. Takes its toll. My friend got axed as a boss of many. Own office and traveling expenses and car. He helped make the company in the region.

But never had a degree. They changed the rules he needed one. Of course...... his time was short then 30+ years meant nothing. He literally is working in a Nursing home as a cook now. Lost half or more of his 401k's living on far a while.

I would not want to be young starting out today. But that is me. I'm a Moderate so my votes go both ways. Just saying the long hall is short for me.

Now I'm done here. All can go back to Trump as a topic.....
Stock market has been doing well but I would still look to more bonds as I got closer to retirement. Less white knuckle, LOL.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:21 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:

Tell the dying (literally) and much maligned U S working class and on-deck lower middle class to read peer reviewed literature.

You’re the only mentioning going back to the ‘50s. Please don’t state that this is rooted in a political campaign slogan aka MAGA.

Are you really comfortable with China’s unchecked growth and its collateral hegemony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago